Day 1 of Radioactive Iodine Treatment

Just popped that lovely gray pill... 125 millicures of the I-131.
I've started my few days in the basement. It's finished with a tv and full bathroom, so more like my own apartment.

This morning, before I left for the hospital...As the kids (3 of them) were arguing about who was going to have to load and unload the dishwasher... I thought... This is every mother's dream. A week off.
I'm not touching any of their "stuff" for a week. I do realize it's really my fluids that are dangerous to them... but hey why take the chance.

My husband will see what it's like to do the laundry... clean up the kitchen a zillion times a week, and all the other things that go unnoticed in a week.

Anybody else take the pill this week?
I don't feel any different.... yet.....

I CANNOT WAIT TO EAT REAL FOOD. TWO MORE DAYS...
Anybody else have 125 millicures? They made it sound like that's on the high side these days?

Reply Report post

256 replies. Join the discussion

I had my treatment today as well...no real problems except maybe a little upset stomach. Unfortunately I am away from my family. I have 2 kids and have never been gone for more then 1 night. I'm very emotional to say the least. I know being away is temporary, but it seems like forever!

Reply Report post

Thinking about you two . . . keep us posted on how you are doing.

Reply Report post

A weird side effect. The lining of my nose feels weird, kind of burny kind of scratchy and my stomach burns...

Reply Report post

You actually think he is going to clean the kitchen? LOL!!!! ;)

Reply Report post

Haha no.. I'm guessing NO ONE is going to clean the kitchen. But I do plan to sneak up occasionally to peek at the destruction.
Imagine 7 days of no MOM. The laundry pile should be big enough to house small families of animals, and the kitchen?
I'm guessing every space possible will be covered.

But what do I care? I'm radioactive. :)

Reply Report post

I am supposed to get 75 on the 23. Day 3 of LID almost over.
Taking more calcium today. Forgot about the no dairy. I actually am feeling not as tired as the first few days. I upped my vitamin d too.
Will keep this going. I think I needed the increase.
Good luck guys keep us posted.

Reply Report post

I had 50 dose yesterday. Symptoms I have had have been headache and upset tummy but that is about it. I get to have real food Saturday and I can not wait. I have been drinking a ton of water and have no real desire to eat any of my LID food. Makes me queasy just thinking about it. I want pizza dammit and cream in my coffee..waaaahhhhhhhhh

Reply Report post

I had RAI today as well. It was my second treatment. Last year I had a similar set up as you...finished basement that felt like an apartment. But...we sold our house in preparation for a transfer and are currently renting a house that does not afford me the luxury of having a separate living space. :( I am a bit emotional b/c of the fear of exposing my family and the feeling of loneliness as I watch my family carry on with life and I can't be a part of it (I know its only a week but still hate it). So your dr told you 1 week?? Mine said I am good to go back to work on Monday??? I teach Kindergarten!!!! I feel like the guidelines are so different from dr. to dr. - it seems as though they would be the same??? I am erroring on the side of safe and staying away for a week.

Reply Report post

I take 30 mCi on the 24th. Two days on LID I am going nuts for butter and snacks and CHOCOLATE! Dear lord, I didn't think it would be this hard.

Reply Report post

My guidelines were 5 days away from adults and 7 away from children and anyone pregnant. Maybe because my dose was so much bigger?

Reply Report post

OMG I want cream in my coffee too! I miss that the most. I never thought I was that into dairy until I couldn't have any. Did anyone else have spread to lymph nodes? My dose seems so much higher.

Reply Report post

My dose was 100 of R-131 so pretty high as well. I just feel like their guidelines are too liberal.....afraid in 15 years they will say "oops...we were wrong". Some locations still isolate in hospital until levels are "safe"

Reply Report post

I had spread to lymph nodes as well, 6 of 21 positive but my dose will be 50mc. My module was only 1.3 and none of the lymph nodes could be seen on ultrasound. The guidelines the doc gave me said only 1 day away for all of the doses? It made no sense to me. I am so scared of exposing my two little kiddos that I have been on the fence as far as when I will do it.

Reply Report post

I would stay away , just to be safe. You wouldn't forgive yourself if something bad came of the exposure. err on the side of caution.

Reply Report post

Day 2 Here.. Feel nausea a bit, nothing major. How's everybody feeling this morning. Huge snowflakes falling here. Something fun to watch from basement. Decided not to pig out tomorrow and keep on losing some weight that i put on this past year.

I miss my kids. Amazing how fast you can go from being annoyed by them to missing them.

Reply Report post

Had 100 mci yesterday for ablation therapy. Had upset stomach, and my salivary glands that are below the ears are very angry. Can't touch them without pain. Sending my my daughter to get sour candy today. No other side effects I have noticed.

About the LID, I found the first 2 days to be hard but after that it wasn't so bad. I got into a routine of basically the same food for each meal each day. Boring but I'm not really into cooking.

Reply Report post

Forgot to mention: PIZZA and ICE CREAM SATURDAY!!!

Reply Report post

I'm thinking Chinese or Thai on Saturday. YES, ice cream and for the love of God.. bring on the cream for coffee.
I have a headache.
Wouldn't it be cool if we could all be sequestered for a bit together. Like some Papillary Cancer Frat house?
:)

Reply Report post

I am looking forward to cream in my coffee, cheese, and ice cream. My RAI is the 23. On LID 4th day getting easier.
My best to all.

Reply Report post

Tomorrow at noon my hubby is bringing me two of my favs--large eggplant pizza and large spinach and feta pizza. Oh and a large Pumpkin coffee from Dunkin Donuts with cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 24 hours here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Report post