Cleaning After RAI

I am home and took my pill today. I am staying in one bedroom by myself and have a bathroom and shower. What did people use to clean their bedrooms/bathrooms after their treatment?

21 replies. Join the discussion

After every use of the toilet, I used an antibacterial wipe throughout my isolation. I also sprayed the surfaces I came into contact with Lysol. At the end of isolation I followed the same routine, using the antibacterial wipes, lysol and scrubbed the shower and toilet with standared cleaners.

What about your mattress? Does it stay in the mattress? I dont even know if I need RAI yet...more of just a curiosity jut in case...

I isolated in my family room and slept on my couch. I covered the couch and threw everything (blanket, pillow, sheets etc) away at the end. As for the couch it is leather and I sprayed it with Lysol and also wiped it down. I don't know about a mattress. I never thought to ask since I knew where I'd isolate and I wouldn't be in a bed.

I learnt today that here in Australia it is compusory to be in a secure room in hospital for the isolation period. It's a much better idea.
Caz

I agree but the docs here don't feel its necessary. I think that is totally crazy.

Here in the UK we are isolated in hospital, so we don't have to worry about contamination. I think all countries should have the patients hospitalised.

I agree they should hospitalize patients having RAI in the USA! Its so ridic!
"Here you go become radioactive and now go home have fun!"

My nurse told me to buy a painters drop cloth for the bed. I covered the entire bed with it. I bought pillows at ROSS and threw those out. The drop cloth was about 20 dollars at Kmart. Hope that helps. Sheets were washed twice.

Thanks! That does help..I love how I am so ahead of myself. I dont even know if i will need RAI after my surgery but I am worried about contaminating my mattress lol.

I was told it was the wiping action that gets rid of any contamination. They told me to use whatever cleaners I normally use and clean the toilet, shower and sink after each use. Then one extra-thourough cleaning afterwards. When I mentioned bleach (which someone told me to use in the toilet), they said that bleach is a germ killer and not effective on radiation, so that would probably be the same for Lysol. I was told that in the hospital, they clean with wipes, I think she called them saniwipes, but they don't recommend that for at home because it will add to your contaminated waste, which they try to limit.

They also told me that a mattress pad, or an extra blanket under the sheet is sufficient for the bed. Then afterwards, wash all twice. Pretty sure if the dosage is high enough, they wouldn't send us home. Crazy!!

I am preparing for my RAI. Taking the pill on Wednesday. I bought a vinyl mattress protector and the same for my pillows, although I am thinking I should just buy pillows to throw away afterwards. I will be tossing the sheets and blanket as well. I bought throw away clothes and towels. Also bought the plastic gloves and nose masks for when I go into the kitchen or any other part of the house. I plan on staying in my room, but I will have to go into the kitchen to eat. I have plenty of Lysol wipes and bought the Lysol hand soap dispenser that you don't have to touch. It is motion activated. I am going to lay down sheets of plastic on the carpet and keep all my clothes on the floor so I don't have to open any drawers. I do wish that I could stay in the hospital. Have to deal with it though. I am not taking any chances....trying to cover all the bases.

Just finished my week of isolation at home on Wednesday. I heard the same advice from the nuclear med dept. as Katrinkalee. It is the physical scrubbing action with the wipes that helps eliminates the radioactivity. They told me to scrub surfaces hard to see the tiny bubbles foam up to pick up the radioactivity. After my week, I bagged up my sheets, mattress pad, pillow, towels and clothes and they are sitting in the far corner of my garage aging out to cut down on some of the radioactivity before I toss them.

We're on the same schedule! I will have a tracer dose on Monday and the large treatment dose on Wed. I will stay in the larger bedroom and take over the bathroom upstairs. I got a mattress cover that is waterproof with a cottonish top and pillow covers as well. I can't imagine staying in bed all that time so I got an antigravity chair the other day that I'll cover with a blanket and scrub later. I figure I'll have a stack of clothes on the floor as well and keep a large plastic bag for garbage and one for dirty clothes. I'm worried about radioactive garbage. I was told that I should double bag it and store it in the back of a yard or a garage for three months before putting it out with the normal garbage. Actually they suggest you do this for three weeks after treatment with any garbage that may have bodily fluid as well. I hear people have actually been fined for RA garbage - they will track you down. I wouldn't want to expose anyone else. How are others handling garbage???????

I am putting my garbage in plastic bags into a container on the side and my house and then will leave it for two weeks and then throw it into the regular garbage. You could call your Village and ask then how to dispose of it.

Doug

I live in Florida, and the RAI treatment is administered in the hospital. I am required to stay 2 nights at the hospital. I will be getting 100 mCi dosage. I think that there are other states, that follow a similar practice.

That is great. Illinois doesn't have any regulations I know of. I had 125mCi and drove myself home after I took the pill. My Nuclear Medicine Doctor gave me some general safety precautions the day of my RAI but I had learned a lot more by than by reading a book on Thyroid Cancer and by gathering information on the web.

Doug

I also live in Florida, but they are sending me home. Also getting 100 mCi dosage. Getting my Thyrogen shots on Monday and Tuesday and the pill on Wednesday.

I start RAI 150mci on 3/23 and take pill outpatient then home to my master bed and bath. Has anyone tried the cleaning solution
Bind-It??? Found online.... Had not seen or heard any cleaning product tips before this post and was wondering if it's necessary to buy since many of you said Lysol wipes were ok. I am in South FL and no mention of hospital stay offered for me. See my Endo 3/7 to go over plans again for LID and RAI week.

@Leah, I am in South Florida too, if you need a friend that is going through it with you, feel free to contact me @xmas310@yahoo.com. I am on the LID now, and I am so hungry. I am surviving on fresh peanut butter, nosalt matzo and various fruit. I am afraid to eat meat, since animals have thyroids, I think that there may be traces of Iodine. My hospital is requiring a urine test, prior to the RAI, to demonstrate that I have low iodine level. If I 'fail' the test, I have to stay on this diet and wait longer ! I am surprised to hear you get to go home for your RAI. I am getting dosage of 100-110 mCi, and being cared by UM Sylvester Cancer Care center in Miami. Sylvester doc's say, 2 nights in hospital. I had a previous endo, who is associated with Boca Community, and she too told me I had to stay in hospital for RAI, and said it was Palm Beach law.
Monday, I am going to an Endo in Broward, to get a second opinion on the RAI dosage and procedure. Maybe it is the dosage, that determines whether we stay in hospital or not. Do you know your dosage?

I am also in South Florida. Would love to talk to you Leah V and Xmas310. I am working with Cleveland Clinic. They would only keep me 1 night, but had no openings until April and didn't want to wait that long. My Dr. is in West Palm and she said that staying home is very common. At the hospital they required that I meet certain guidelines to stay home, such as having my own room and bath, no kids at home, etc. Tomorrow I am going for my first shot of Thyrogen, then 2nd shot Tues. and Wed. I take the pill...100 mCi. I have been using the LID cook book on this site, and I love it. I have been making the recipes both the meals and the baking. I didn't know how I would handle it, but I have been able to eat plenty. The cook book is excellent and provides many choices. I am getting nervous about starting all this, but want to get it over with already.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders