Chrohn's disease and thyroid cancer

Hi, all

Six weeks out from TT on Cytomel getting ready for LID and RAI mid April. Just got diagnosed with Chrohns disease as well. And the good news just keeps on coming. Anybody else? Does anybody know if there is a connection between the two DX? Autoimmune diseases seem to be what I am dealing with.

31 replies. Join the discussion

Hello and welcome! This is a wonderful resource and support source. I don't have Chrones, but did deal with endometriosis which they think is somehow related to the autoimmune system. I, too would be curious to read about any connection, studies etc. Good luck and take care,
Lisa

Hi drtaylor,
Yes, I have read articles where they say that if you are diagnosed with Hashimoto's you're more likely to get another immune mediated disease like Crohn's, or diabetes 2, etc., so just something else we have to be alert for and deal with :(. I get blood blisters in my mouth, and weird, circular small "bruises" that are probably immune mediated too (I know the blood blisters are an indication of an immune mediated disease). I've been thinking about going to a rheumatologist, just to get checked out. Will the Crohn's affect your absorption of Thyroxine? What a pain to have to be dealing with that through all the other stuff! I pray that they will be able to get it controlled, and that things go well with your RAI and WBS. Take care!
<hugs>
Kim

I don't have Crohn's, but I dealt with Endometriosis most of my life (no longer due to a hysterectomy in 2006). I do believe the whole auto-immune thing is connected.
dj

Interesting, I have Sjogren's syndrome. I just found out after my hysterectomy that I had endometriosis also.

I have lupus.....so it seems there is an autoimmune connection some how.

Thank you so much for all your well wishes.

So you all have thyroid cancer and this other syndromes? That is interesting. I'll have to do more research on that. How about BRAF? Does anyone have that?

Do you have Hashimoto's? The autoimmune connection would then be more clear (if anything can be clear with autoimmune diseases). I'm sorry you have added this, but I hope you will respond to treatment and be able to control it. Getting your thyroid regulated (TSH, T3, T4) will help your overall health and help you fight this.

Sending you good thoughts and prayers for healing.

KimCN, that is a very good question as to whether or not absorption of synthroid will be affected. I see a GI doc the 28th of March. Have to remember to ask him.

No one has DXed me with Hashimoto's. Only Papillary thyroid cancer. It has become more debilitating in the past six months which was about the time I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I tolerated all the symptoms because the thyroid cancer had my attention. I have a feeling it is going to be a long road. Endurance of all kinds is going to be needed.

Thank you for your support it is very uplifting. To add to all of this I got a phlebitis in my rt arm from the IVs used for anesthesia for the colonoscopy. You know enough is enough. What do they say God never gives you more than you can handle. " I just wish he didn't trust me so much." I don't know who said it but it feels right at this time.

Haha - I think that sometimes too :) (That I wish God didn't trust me so much). Yes, it sounds like you have plenty on your plate. Did your pathology say anything about "lymphocytic thyroiditis"? I was never told I had Hashi's but that's what lymph. thyroiditis is, and that was on my pathology report, so I guess I did. Once again, good wishes and prayers that this will soon be all in the "rearview mirror" and that the good things in life are soon abundantly present :)

Gosh, you really have been piled on. The year I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism was like that for me. I was diagnosed with Meniere's and had surgeries for a pain control device implanted in the cervical area of my spine. I didn't know it was Hashi's so I didn't know to become more proactive about my symptoms. I pray you will find that endurance that you seek and take one day at a time, with God's help and guidance.

Yes, drtaylor22 I have the B-RAF mutation. My thyca is tall cell variant. I also have fibromyalgia, Sjogren's, GERD, a-fib, herniated discs ( one of which I needed spinal fusion for), osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, MGUS, and many more problems. I have not been healthy since I was 15 years old! I am now 51 years old. In the past 20 months I have had TT, modified radical neck dissection, spinal fusion, shoulder surgery, and a complete hysterectomy! In that time I also have had 2 RAI treatments, and too many scans to count. I am now waiting to hear the results of my most recent bloodwork and US. If this last RAI did not do the trick the next step is EBR. I REALLY wish God did not trust me at ALL!

Had undiagnosed endometriosis for years and a complete hysterectomy at age 46. Joined the Endometriosis Association then for their newsletters and literature/books, no web support groups available at the time. This literature said that once you have ANY autoimmune disease, then you are likely to have more. My peroxidase autoimmune antibody level before the TT was literally "Off the charts", and the endocrinologist said that I had to have had the papillary then "For at least TEN years", that also long undiagnosed then, too. Also, in one of their quotes from an article in "Radiology", the professional journal, there was to me a very interesting study done on monkeys on an island off Japan after the radiation there in WW2 where some near 60% of the females SPONTANEOUSLY developed endometriosis. (So, what else does radiation exposure cause besides the papillary ThyCa?). The docs still "Tisk-tisk" at me when I mention this to them, but HEY!, nobody is going to do any double-blind human studies to prove or disprove this. So, I take a copy of that article with me to give to them....... But, seems in my own case that my overactive immune system is continually seeking a new target with all kinds of allergies, too, and after 10 surgeries and lots of medications through it all, especially to any new medication. When I got the Papillary ThyCa diagnosis, my Internist spoke of The Dark Ages in medicine with my high-dosage x-ray exposure as an infant, and for a catharsis I wrote a poem about it named, "The Dark Ages". A couple of excerpts from that: ....... "Too young to say, "NO!", that I wouldn't go....... "Now they say they have a cure?-----MORE RADIATION to make me pure???? I still cannot wrap my mind around that latter one, though thanks to an excellent surgeon and my high octane immune system, never had the RAI with two clear scans and undetectable thyroglobulin. But, why do WE have to become the experts at everything to get any help?

Hi, yes there is a connection with having multiple autoimmune diseases. I had Hashimoto's (prior to thyroid surgery, cancer) but have also had Ulcerative Colitis for many years as well.

In a matter of one year i was diagnosed with two crazy conditions...first celiac disease and then ThyCa.So i do think there is some sort of connection between autoimmune diseases and ThyCa or any other forms of cancer if i may say.

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this website, but drtaylor22 post caught my eye. I've had Chrohn's disease my whole life, Hashimoto disease for the last 20 years, my gallbladder removed 12 years ago,a hysterectomy 10 years ago, and now I have Thyroid cancer. I never thought about connecting them together until your post. Thank you drtaylor22!! Now that then leads me to ask....Could all my joint pain be related as well?

No, didn't see any lymphotic thyroiditis.

Godschild8 - I need to study the concept of autoimmune diseases. I am a nurse but I have also been studying to be a psychoanalyst for several years. I can't help but wonder about depression and the idea of turning anger inward which means we are attacking ourselves. Feelings and the body cannot be separated. The Gods child caught MY eye. Being a child of God is all the identity I need. I don't want ot let this cancer to be all. Or the Chrohn's disease or whatever else the docs come up with on this voyage to health? Tell me did yu feel better after your gallbladder was removed? I feel the strength of you all on this site and it is a wondrous thing.!!!

I will say prayers for you!

drtaylor22-Yes, I felt much better after my gallbladder surgery....in fact, I felt much better after all of my operations, but I can't help but wonder when the doctors will stop finding new things wrong. Thankfully, being a child of God means we are already healed by the blood of Jesus Christ, and I just need to keep trusting Him.....we all can pass through this!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders