Breakfast after Synthroid

I am wondering since I'm supposed to avoid iron and calcium supplements for four hours after taking synthroid, if technically by supplements it is meant that any food containing such vitamins are to be avoided. I ask this as only recently have I decided to closely scrutinize items that I often eat for breakfast and see they contain iron and calcium and now am wondering what the world I can eat other than fruit within the four hour time frame and if these foods that I'm currently eating should be avoided. I will be asking my doctor for clarification but if anyone could tell me what they're breakfasts look like if they take the synthroid an hour beforehand, I'd appreciate the feedback.

19 replies. Join the discussion

I would definitely suggest for multiple reasons you not buy and take a multivitamin with iron, or take with breakfast iron.

For one, as one takes multivitamins for decades on end, this is not how iron is meant to be taken. One should ideally know their iron levels, then take iron for a period, then go off iron for a period. Not take daily iron endlessly as this increases various cancer risks for the stomach and intestines in particular. So many doctors say not to do it this way, but who knows...

Then the iron in multivitamins might cause issues anyway with other vitamins and so on, or with the T4 and/or t3. Better to take iron as a separate pill sometime differing from much else I feel.

I take T4 meds at 5 to 6 AM and breakfast minimum of an hour, or more likely near two hours later. No calcium, iron. I do take some things at that time some fish oil and a few other supplements.

I usually have oatmeal, almonds and blueberries after I take my medication. In the 4 hour period after I take my medication, I will eat more almonds and fruit to hold me till lunch. So far, so good.

I eat cereal and milk or fruit and yogurt 60-90 minutes after thyroid dosing. As long as you are consistent with your dosing time and food intake, your absorption is likely to be fairly consistent and your levels, therefore, will be more consistent. The labeling on Synthroid clearly states to take it 30-60 minutes before eating. I was told "eating" includes coffee, so no coffee. My sister's endo said she could have her coffee with Synthroid! She has been on this schedule for 3-1/2 years without much change in her dose requirements because she does the same thing every morning. Since she does not have thyca, I guess it is less critical. I want to keep my levels as even as possible, so I wait to eat or drink anything. Also, check with your doctor if you take a cholesterol lowering medication. Some of them interfere with the way your body absorbs Synthroid and therefore should be taken later, e.g. 4 hours later. Fiber in large amounts, soy and walnuts also interfere and should have a 4-hour wait.

I just started taking synthroid on Thursday (July 11th). I read about taking it on an empty stomach and also no eating for 30-60 minutes after. I put the pill by my bedside and wake up at 3 or 4 to take it. I have no problem falling back to sleep. I'm such a creature of habit that I want to be able to have my coffee when I get up in the morning. Any problem with taking it in the middle of the night like that?

T4 is long acting storage thyroid. It is never actually used, it is brought in various places and cells in body and converted to T3 (or even eventually T2, etc) then used. So no issues seen topping off the gas tank even when 3/4 full. Basically I can't think there is any issue at all taking T4 at 3 AM.

Just saw a study that says drinking coffee within an hour of taking thyroid med significantly lowers its effectiveness. I was glad to see this as I am a big coffee drinker and figured that this didn't really count as "eating" anyway.

hello lol good info but i like my coffee too. to get webs out and get going lol to you all thank you your friend.

I was told no eating 30 mins after taking, no eating anything with calcium for 4, though endo says 2.5-3 hrs is fine. I also don't have my morning fiber (chia and flax) until lunchtime or take any vitamins until then. I wait one hr for coffee, and use a bit of milk in it.

Since my normal breakfast is chock full of calcium and fiber, coffee or green tea, I take my pill at approx. 4 am and eat breakfast at 8:00 am. I really want every ounce out of the pill. I take a probiotic pill at breakfast, but wait until lunchtime or after for my calcium/vit d supplements and Alive! multi, turmeric and ginger (pepper always in my food).

My friend takes her Synthroid at bedtime. I don't because I often have a glass of wine and small snack like cheese and high fiber crackers before bed.

Thanks for all the feedback thus far. See, this is why I am now concerned as my oatmeal contains a lot of iron and I add toppings that contain calcium. I thought we were only supposed to hold off 4 hours on calcium/iron supplements (in pill form), so I didn't think natural foods like oatmeal, granola, banana, and raisins counted. I knew to avoid obvious sources of calcium within the 4 hour time frame, such as cheese and milk, but thought all other foods were fair game. This has me rethinking what to do about breakfast as it seems all food, even fruit, contains calcium and/or iron. I don't really want to interrupt my REM cycle to take my pill and go back to sleep and I don't want to take it before bed either, so I'm a bit unsure as to what to do as it would seem waiting 4 hours to eat anything is better for absorption. My labs have been good thus far in spite of what I have been eating.

I wait one hour from taking the synthroid to have my coffee.

According to my endo, the iron/calcium in food is not a big concern - just the actual supplements.

I wouldn't drink straight milk and brie for breakfast but the calcium/iron from most foods is fine once your "no food" time of an hour has passed.

It is unnecessary to wake up in the middle of the night just to take your thyroid medication and probably not a good idea. This will just contribute to fatigue and sleep disruption so I would not go that route unless you naturally wake up at that time.

Real good post by kennondale. Agree. Only food I ever had an issue is really high fiber cereal or something (which essentially is food with an additive or fiber), otherwise don't worry about the amounts in foods.

I also like my coffee first thing upon getting up. I started putting my synthroid and a glass of water next to my bed. I usually wake up for a minute or two between 4 and 6 am, so now I take my pill at that time and then go back to sleep. Works for me. I'm not a big breakfast eater, so it is usually about 4 or 5 hours till I actual eat any food.

My doc recommended taking synthroid @ night before bed. That way you don't have to worry about waiting for breakfast and or coffee in the am.

Kennondale, that's what I expect my endo will say. I'm going to check just to be sure but that was my understanding too.

I agree with Kennondale, too. My doctor and I have discussed a lot of things about thyca, diet and meds, but leaving off fiber or dairy for breakfast has never been one of them. He knows my routine and has never told me to change it. And I see no reason to.

Some Mayo clinic endos suggest taking synthroid/ levothyroxine at night, at least 4 hours after supper. Easier than risk of interfering with breakfast or other vitamins. You cannot, however, take any T3 at night because it has an immediate effect and you will become wired.
Whatever you do, take it consistently at the same time, same manufacturer, same routine.
I need to take calcium and vitamin d, which I space out during the day. Then the T4 dose is safe from interfering with other meds when taken at night.

Black Cat 33: What about eggs?

Hey Mousette, I eat eggs at times, but oatmeal fills me up more and I prefer it to eggs for the most part.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders