Blood Work questions post TT

Hi everyone, been a while since I've posted. I had a TT 6/14/12 for papillary thyca. I was a stage 1 and did not need RAI. I was started on 125mcg synthroid 3 days after surgery.

I have a few questions as I moved in Oct to a new state and have an appt with a new endo on Friday. I only saw my old endo 2 times before moving and although he explained bloodwork to me then, I'm having a hard time remembering what I should be looking for and what the numbers mean. Any clarification would be appreciated.
Here's my lowdown:

Blood draw 6/19/12
TSH 1.19 FreeT4 2.0 T3(not shown) Calcium 9.4

Blood draw 7/24/12
TSH .86 Free T4 1.7 T3 3.1 Calcium 9.8
endo bumped my dose up to 137 mcg

Had a blood draw in Oct that was sent to my old endo in Nevada. They only said that the results were "normal" but didn't send me a copy. They are supposed to be sending it to my new doctor.

Went to a reg doc on 12/07/12 because of really bad muscle spasms and he did blood work only tested TSH (.21) and Ionized calcium 1.24

He said my TSH was a little low and to go back to the 125mcg synthroid. I did, but I was so wiped out that I went back up to the 137mcg.

At this point I am confused about what tests should be done and what exactly I'm looking for. I see a lot about T3, T4, Free T3, T4 and I'm getting confused. I have been feeling spacey and irritable for at least a month and experience a lot of joint/muscle pain and muscle spasms. I do have spondylolisthesis though so that can explain some of the pain. I also experience tingling/numbness in my hands and feet. Does this just come with the territory or could me meds need adjusting?

Sorry to write a book. I want to educate myself before I go in to see my new endo.
Thanks,
Marilyn

5 replies. Join the discussion

A TSH of 0.21 is actually good for a Thyca patient...general practioners don't tend to know that our 'target range' is usually in the 0.1-0.5 region, which is 'low' for someone with a thyroid. (Normal is 0.5-3.0).
Usually only T4 and TSH are tested unless the TSH is in the ideal range and T4 is in the high-normal range and a patient is still not feeling well, in which case a T3 test might be ordered.

Oh, and jumping between 125 and 137 might be too much of a change for you - I often need somewhere in between doses, and take different pills on different days of the week to achieve such a dose (ie 125 three days a week and 137 4 days a week).

Thanks, I appreciate the information. Yeah, it sounds like 3day/4day dosage might be good for me.
Marilyn

I would also add that if you are having tingling in feet/hands you may want to get the calcium level and your parathyroid hormone (PTH) checked as well.

thanks jemkat85. I will bring it up to the endo at my appt.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders