Beginning Iodine diet..soy almond milk ok?

I was wondering if it was good to drink the Almond milk or the Diamond almond milk? I was looking today in walmart at the milks and wasnt sure if these were ok for the diet?! Im not really able to make my own so i was hoping one of these would work.

Edited August 27, 2012 at 4:25 pm

17 replies. Join the discussion

If it has carregeenan as an ingredient, you can't have it on LID. Its from the sea. The only "milk" I could find that was allowed was canned coconut milk. I bought it but ended up throwing it out...I didn't care for the taste.

The only milk sub I found in a store that is okay was a hemp milk...it was pretty gross. Homemade almond milk mixed w/ light coconut milk (canned version only) was a somewhat ok sub.

The canned coconut milk I saw the other day had either carrageenan or salt in it (all I remember is it was a no-go).

Oops, meant to add: Read the labels carefully.

Try making your own nut milk. There are easy recipes on line. That way you know what in it.
Its not hard at all.
I liked the hemp milk, I got it at whole foods. its pacific brand. You can at least try it. I think they have a vanilla too, but I don't know if it has sale or not.

The others are correct. I am surprised, yet not shocked, that your doctor did not advise you about following some important directions while doing the LID. Go on the Genzyme or thyrogen website or the thyCa site. Also, protocol for following the diet is listed on the cancer center sites. Stay away from processed food, which is mot of what we are use to eating. Also, people will tell you that kosher salt is fine to eat...it must state that it is non-iodized. There is kosher salt on the market that contains iodine. Purchase non-iodized salt for cooking. Wishing you well.

One of the ingredients i had seen was sea salt and i couldnt remember at the time if it was allowed.My doctor did send me acouple pages on what i can and cannot have so now i carry it with me.I dont start my diet till the third but now when i go out im trying to get int the habit of checking things before i buy them.I just had wanted to ask about the milk incase those were ok or if someone had found something that works aside from making it from scratch.

Nothing from the sea. That means no sea salt, fish, sushi, carrageenan, etc. Read labels. If it says "salt" it is a no, unless you write the manufacturer and get a response that they use non-iodized salt. Here is another really good blog from one of the members here. http://thelowiodinediet.blogspot.com/?m=1

Wishing you all the best.

Coconut milk, but I only found one that didn't have salt or other things that are not allowed. The Almond milks all seem to have sea salt in the ingd. list. I used the coconut milk and I was lucky enough to have the Pedthyca send a LID cookbook for more guidance.
I made almond milk myself and it worked very well for recipes.
Main thing is read labels. My daughter got very good at this and still reads labels very carefully. Good luck with your Lid diet. Hope you get to the target TSH quickly. It took my daughter 3 weeks the last time in April(12 years old) I hear adults can take longer. Your will be in my thoughts and go to the Pediatric Thyca site and look for the cookbook there it is very helpful!

I like the original Hemp milk by Pacific. The flavored ones have salt but the original is fine and it works great as a milk substitute. I have been using it in the bread machine and last night had it in home mashed potatoes.

I was told I could use Coconut Milk as long no salt was listed on the label. I have it with blueberries, a banana and hemp protein powder shakes for breakfast. Really good!

I actually got alittle lucky in the fact that i am allowed about 8ounces of milk a day which i have with some mini wheats and im good.I was getting concerned because i do have alot of milk normally but this little bit has actually helped me so far through this diet. Its on countdown now..1 week and 2 days left till i have my RAI and this diet is over.
Thank you everyone for your help on trying to figure the milk situation out ;)

I get my RAI on Wednesday. My doctor allowed me milk in my morning coffee. Other then that I've been using the hemp milk. Jehnnh, good luck with your RAI

Good luck on your RAI Goepher :)

I've been on LID for 3 weeks and will have my RAI next Wednesday, 9/12/12. I thought my RAI would be on 9/4/12, but my endo delayed it til 9/12/12. I was on my vacation at Cape Cod when I started LID and it was difficult not to eat fish or ice cream and make my own foods.

My endo seems very up to date, but way too stressed and overloaded with patients, and there are lapses in communication. I come from Virginia to Connecticut for care because my daughter is a physician here and she has put me in contact with the best providers.

When my endo's nurse finally informed me of the actual date for Thyrogen, RAI and body scan, I realized I was on the diet earlier than necessary and not happy that my vacation was made unpleasant by my food restrictions which made life difficult for me as well as my family and friends with me. However, I had a chance to make my mistakes that first week and learn from them. Shopping, reading labels, baking bread and preparing other foods was such a challenge.

This is my last week of LID and the coffee/milk issue has been the most difficult. Yesterday, my endo called me to review the plan again and when I told her I had 'cheated" with milk in my coffee, she told me not to worry about it. Many doctors do not even feel it is necessary to do LID before RAI. I know many patients who are allowed 5 oz. of milk per day.

Well, it is very confusing, but I know that eliminating iodized salt, most dairy, store bakery products, products/foods from the sea,
and staying within the alloted serving suggestions must bring the total iodine in the body down significantly.

good luck lilacs54, my RAI is the 12th too.

lrwesthoff you said... 'lucky enough to have the Pedthyca send a LID cookbook for more guidance.'
is there any way you could copy and post the LID cookbook here for all of us to use as well please?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders