Auto- Immune Disease Hashimotos ETC

Why is there such a lack of knowledge among Medical professionals
and Hashimoto's and its various links to celiac, diabetes, thyroid cancer etc.
This disease has been" CLOSETED" SINCE 1912.
There is very little progress made in both diagnosing it before it is too
late. Life style of those with it is seriously impaired.
Hashimoto should be a household word not a "what??"
When I spoke to the Hashimoto's foundation people I was hard pressed to find but one very knowledgeable person.
The reason she said it was not funded and out in the forefront was that
it was basically an older woman's disease and they constitute the majority.
My research shows otherwise. In my family alone we have many under 21
who are symptomatic. Some are diagnosed and some on the way to diagnosis with pressure from our family to have proper testing.
SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE TO MAKE HASHIMOTO'S A HOUSEHOLD
WORD LIKE A COLD OR FLU AND TO NIP IT IN THE BUD BEFORE
IT LEADS TO A LIFE OF MISERY.
WHAT IS BEING DONE?

19 replies. Join the discussion

I agree. As a parent of a young man who was diagnosed at 18, I can tell you that my son never had any thyroid screening until he presented with a Hashimoto's thyroiditis. He subsequently had a TT, with an unexpected finding of diffuse sclerosing papillary thyroid cancer. Our Endo says that without a doubt, he had Hashi's for years. He was never symptomatic. Did that cause his Thyca? Perhaps. Research is looking into this phenomenon. I am advocating to have all Peds screen children at puberty. My son may not have had to endure so much if caught and treated early. I had my other children screened, but not without a fight from our Ped. Unfortunately, the public is unaware of how common Hashimoto's is becoming...until someone in their family is diagnosed.

Dear Ellen,
I am interested in knowing if you have investigated all of the signs of Hashis.
Are you sure that you did not overlook them as he was growing up and developed this cancer ?.
My daughter has had these signs since early on but we were always told it was normal!!
WE WOULDN'T LET THE CAR MECHANIC TELL US OUR GAS PEDAL WASNT STUCK
BUT WE LET THEM DISREGARD (OUR BODY'S GAS PEDAL )OUR THYROID UNTIL
OUR MOTOR BURNS OUT!
DISGRACEFUL BODY MECHANICS OUR MEDICS 100 YEARS AND NO PROGRESS

Hi all

My daughter is now 17 and was diagnosed at 16. However, it took 18 months of doctors saying she had a virus before I finally took to Google and plugged in all her symptoms that I could finally ask the doctor to check her thyroid. It was a very long 18 months.

She is now eating gluten free, taking selenium, B, D & C group vitamins, Lysine and Krill Oil. She no longer rows, as she still fatigues when she undertakes too much exercise, but otherwise, her health is very much improved....as has her bloods.

I heartily agree with butter999, there is very little known about Hashimoto thyroiditis, but when you start to ask around....every 10th person I know has some sort of thyroid condition. They have all pursued modern medicine with varying degrees of success. We have decided to try alternative approaches, but have regular check-ups with our Endo. Acupuncture, gluten free, vitamins, no coffee, a good diet and plenty of rest have worked for my girl.

Women should also be aware that the Pill can be a no no for Hashimoto sufferers. It has been linked to depression and causing problems with the thyroid.

I am always open to ideas, so if any of my fellow readers have any other successful approaches, I would love to hear from you.

Cheers from Australia.

Hi Hashimoto Mum,
One other no no can be dairy and red meat.
I am happy to learn that your daughter has been doing well,
You must be sure that her thyroid anti bodies do not elevate
and that the thyroid remains small with no goiter or enlarged nodes.
If 10 % of the people are aware of Hashimotos 50% or more are clueless.
A disease like this is so serious that more must be done to diagnose it
and then control it .
It was diagnosed in 1912 so is not new. It is just that most people take the
road of least resistance and believe if they don't know about it it won't exist.
Just this AM ,I read how raret thyroid cancer is ,and how easy it is treat hashimotos.
What a sham!

That is interesting to note about the pill and Hashi's is there a study or research on this somewhere? My daughter was recently diagnosed with Hashi's after my own insistence for a second look on her US & labs. I agree that more research needs to be done on this and give this disease the attention it deserves.

There seems to be a strong overlap with celiac, another underdiagnosed issue. Now I am looking into iodine deficiency, too. Although the oft repeated cliche is that "iodine deficiency is rare now that the US uses iodinated salt," this appears to be outdated. While on the LID it became apparent to me that most companies no longer use iodinated salt (however, we must assume they do on the LID) and popular sea salt is probably not enough iodine. I am wondering if my Hashimoto's may have come from both of these problems. I am celiac and used no iodized salt or vitimins. I am now feeding my children iodized salt rather than sea salt.

Hashimotos is an auto immune disease which is closely connected to other auto immune disease.
One sparks the other.
THAT IS WHY MORE HAS TO BE DONE TO INVESTIGATE THESE HORRIBLE DISEASES WARS WITHIN
OURSELVES.

Good evening

Wow, thanks for your replies and comments. I am so glad I found this site.

Iodised salt was used here in Australia to wash through diary equipment. Now we use other detergents. So here in Australia we never had a big problem with iodine deficiency, but now we do, and it is all because we don't pick up the left-over trace iodine in our milk. However, salt can be a two edged sword for Hashimoto sufferers. It can be good for some and very bad for others.

Dear Jemkat85. Sorry to hear about your daughter. How old is she?.
I came across many studies when researching Hashimotos and regret not keeping links to them. Surprisingly the Italians have lots of research on Hashimotos and I think that's where I came across the Pill problems. Shannon will cross that road when the time comes....hopefully a few years away yet........or am I being a delusional mother!

I am sure you have already read the popular book "Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests are Normal" which was a valuable resource and set me down the path of trying alternative treatment....for the time being.. My daughter will eventually make up her own mind how to manage her health...but while I continue to support her $$$ she is more than happy to continue down this road.

Shannon also takes probiotics.

PS. I suffer from endometriosis, and wonder if there is any link associated with Hashimotos..?

Cheers for now
HashimotoMum..

http://www.thyroidbook.com/

@HashimotoMum, my daughter is 21 and soon to get married and is why I'm interested and will do more research on the pill thing. Her PCP doc felt and enlarged thyroid and her US they said was a multinodular goiter and her PCP was not recommending any further follow-up for a year! That didn't sit too well with me given my history of Thyca coupled with the fact that I was not impressed with the tech that did her original US. I've had enough US to know when you've got a good tech and when you don't. So I took her in to my surgeon at a major university hospital as a second opinion to ensure that nothing was being missed. Low and behold that subsequent US shows the pattern typical with Hashimoto's and also another nodule which needs further monitoring not picked up on the first US. We are now waiting to see the Endo for further follow-up. Really glad that the mom radar went off, mom's do know when something doesn't seem right.

They discovered Hashi's on my pathology when I had my TT. I had it and never even knew it which would explain some things. Now I am wondering whether I should have my other daughter screened for it as well. I haven't read up on Hashi's as much as I should have and now am making it a priority to ensure that all goes well for my daughter.

It's not just a disease of women. I am a 51 yr man. I was diagnosed with thyca this past April (2013) and had a total thyroidectomy in June that included the tumor (9.5 cm) as well. When the pathology on the tumor and thyroid was done, my Dr. was stunned, stunned I tell you to discover that I also had Hashimoto's. It's not like i hadn't been complaining of lethargy, weight gain, not being able to lose weight, having to take a nap every lunch among other symptoms. My Dr. just thought i was depressed and never did any thyroid blood work. Instead he prescribed anti-depressants and told me to reduce the stress in my life. He now agrees that I may have had Hashimoto's for years being mildly symptomatic and hypothyroid. No discussion on whether the Hashimoto's may have contributed to my thyca. It is not a well understood disease and is not in the mainstream.

HASHIMOTOS IS PRESENT IN MEN- USUALLY 80% ARE WOMEN BUT WE HAVE 20% WHO ARE MEN.
THINKING THAT LITTLE IS KNOWN ABOUT HASI'S IS ABSURD.
IT WAS FOUNDED IN 1912 BY DR.HASHIMOTO IN JAPAN
LITTLE IS DONE ABOUT THIS DIRTY LITTLE SECRET ,I AGREE.
SOMEHOW MD'S ARE NOT PROPERLY EDUCATED ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF THE THYROID.
THE THYROID IS AKIN TO THE GAS PEDAL OF YOUR CAR. EVERY AUTO MECHANIC
IS TRAINED ON THE IMPORTANCE OF HAVING THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF FUEL FOR AN ENGINE TO RUN
EFFICIENTLY.
HOWEVER, OUR MEDICAL MECHANICS MD'S DON'T HAVE THE TRAINING TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE
OUR METABOLISM AND THEREFORE WE ARE PRONE TO ALL KINDS OF MALADIES.
JUST A BLOOD TEST WHICH CHECKS FOR ANTI BODIES TPO AND TGO ALONG WITH THE OTHER USUAL THYROID
TESTS WOULD DIAGNOSE HASHIMOTOS.
THEN A CT SCAN WOULD TELL IF THERE ARE FURTHER GROWTHS OR MALIGNANCIES IN THE THYROID ,PARATHYROID OR THE NODES OR GOITER.
IT IS TIME HASHIMOTOS COMES OUT OF THE CLOSET.

Did your doctor ever tell you that your thyroid was enlarged or had a nodule? When you looked at your neck did one side look bigger?
I am beginning to wonder if a physical exam of the thyroid is that accurate, and perhaps screening ultrasounds should be performed.

Hi again

It would be most appreciated if someone could explain the term "Thyca" . does it just mean thyroid cancer?

Thyca simply means thyroid cancer. It took me awhile to learn all the acronyms associated with this disease and everyone here has been helpful in helping me in learning them!

Thanks, most appreciate your help.

Have a great day and best regards

Hello,
I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2009. The word "ThyCa" is the organization. Only on this forum have I found people using ThyCa to mean thyroid cancer. TC is used frequently elsewhere, is PTC, PFTC,FTC and MTC for papillary thyroid cancer, papillary follicular variant thyroid cancer, follicular thyroid cancer and medullary thyroid cancer respectively. Confusion happens when people make up their own abbreviations.
Nancy

Hello,
I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2009. The word "ThyCa" is the organization. Only on this forum have I found people using ThyCa to mean thyroid cancer. TC is used frequently elsewhere, is PTC, PFTC,FTC and MTC for papillary thyroid cancer, papillary follicular variant thyroid cancer, follicular thyroid cancer and medullary thyroid cancer respectively. Confusion happens when people make up their own abbreviations.
Nancy

Whether it is an older women's disease or not, if there is a perception that it is, it will get a back burner in medical treatment and research. An underlying issue is that sexism still abounds in this world. In the Western world it is just more covert displayed in doctors office's where a woman presenting with symptoms will be handed an anti-depressant while a man presenting with the same symptoms will actually be given the correct lab tests.

My own Hashis allowed to progress until my thyroid was full of nodules and cancerous, until I was so sick I could barely function . That the Hashi's went undetected for decades because of bias against women with the types of complaints I had was an eye opening experience. It is a great disservice when MD's fail to do standard testing because they presume in the first 5 minutes that female presenting medical problems are a mental health issue. I dutifully took the anti-depressants which then had sleep aids added and then other medications to counteract side effects. I was medicated to the gills but no one once ever did a thyroid value, or checked my neck which was increasing in size.

An ER visit following acute bronchitis that got a CT scan of my lungs revealed the tumors in my neck. And even then the ER staff released me with no follow-up. I read the CT report and said "what is this about thyroid nodules?" It is a long story about medical neglect, indifference and abusive attitudes. Older women really need a medical advocate if they are going to try to access standard medical care. Having been to doctors appointments with my father and a male friend I see a considerable difference in how they are treated.

I only got help when I got very proactive and turned to Dr Google and started my own relentless research. I eliminated gluten and found incredible improvement,. The doctor mocked me when I said gluten free really helps, again that dismissive biased attitude got him fired and is something I will not longer tolerate as part of my "medical treatment"

Thanks for bringing this up.

You are your best advocate

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders