Any Athletes with Thyca (young or old)?

20 years out. TT at 35 yo. Female. 2 cm well circumscribed nodule showing mixed follicular variant and papillary component + Hashimoto’s disease. No RAI. Now on .125 mcg Synthroid.

I’m 55 and play tennis 4x per week also swim and lift weights w/ trainer. Overall, my health is pretty good, but have ongoing problems with insomnia, occasional fatigue and lately hypoglycemia (non-diabetic). These things seem more pronounced as I’m on a tennis team and I compete weekly, and so I am focused on diet and sleep as part of my training regimen.

In summer, I carry a small cooler with ice and water and wet towels, I’m just now going for 6 small meals a day, and I have recently attributed some of my insomnia to hypoglycemia. So, if anyone has some techniques for how you manage your health while pursuing a sport – please share.

Also, to all who have gotten a deaf ear over your fatigue, weight gain, loss of zest for life – I hear you. Doctors are frustrating - you put so much hope into office appointments to come away with some version of ‘try harder.’ I see my Dr. 2x year. New doctors are always surprised I didn’t have RAI, which I declined because I wanted to start a family. I’ve been told: my thyroid could be replaced by just a pill (I had him repeat that one back to me, and didn’t believe it then), that RAI was easy and over with, that I could attribute only 10# of weight gain to my TT, that I should see a psychiatrist …

It's been 20 years for me, and not much has changed - but the online community is a lot better than it was. Thank you all who take the time to share.

Reply Report post

11 replies. Join the discussion

I am 51 year old female and 14 years out with Medullary thyroid cancer and a TT. I am on the same does of Synthroid as you. I would consider myself an athlete as well. Are you menopausal and do you have children? Do you have any stress in your life? I feel like those 3 things are more relevant to your symptons of fatigue and weight gain. Most women gain 10 pounds after they turn 40 and start gaining another 10 after 50 unless they decrease their caloric intake by about 100 calories a day and/or increase their calorie expenditure. I did gain 25 pounds immediately after my TT when I was 37 that I have never lost. The first 25 came because I had started with a terrible endocrinologist who started me at only .100 mcg of Synthroid. I have added 10 more pounds over the last 14 years but I attribute those 10 to menopause, age, 3 children age 11 to 18, and emotional eating in the afternoon. Growing old isn't pleasant with or without a thyroid.

Reply Report post

Hello Pals! I am a female, 45 years old. I had surgery to remove tumor and total thyroid in Dec 20, 2013. On 150 mg of Synthroid, recovering well from surgery with bad heart burn (never had that before), crazy sharp pains in different parts of my body, but endo dr. said that is normal adjusting of my body to the medicine and not having a thyroid. Big sighhh.

I gained 35-40 lbs since last July, I was finally diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer in Oct Just this week I lost 2 lbs, Yay! But doing the LID diet in preparation for RAI sometime around March. Not looking forward feeling hypo again during this process. Sometimes feeling frustrated and I think family and friends get tired (they do) of hearing how I feel, or even believing all the symptoms I am going through, happy for the groups, where you can vent, seen others feeling as you do, and sharing the experiences and tips to keep on going.

On a positive note, I walked 2.5 miles on Sat. and Sunday I went with 2 good friends and I jog/walk 9.4 miles. I am registered to run Aramco Half Marathon on Jan 19. I know now that I am ready to finish my race, and happy to say that thyca does not define me. I am a runner! :-)

Reply Report post

31 Male and 3 years post TT.

Currently train Brazilian jujitsu 3x a week and do Olympic weight lifting 3x. Summers i add in tennis 3x in place of weights. My body feels like it's been run over by a truck some days but i continue to let it stop me from doing the things I love. My doctor says I don't know what normal is anymore lol.

Reply Report post

I had a TT Nov. 2012 and RAI Jan. 2013 and ran 1/2 marathon April 2013 and 3 more in the Fall and trained for the St. Jude full marathon that was in Dec. 2013 but it was cancelled the night before the race due to icey weather. :( I refused to let caner win!!!!! I am currently in isolation again after receiving 100 RAI last Jan. 9 2014. I am signed up to run the St. Jude 1/2 marathon in Nashville at the end of April. Good luck to you!

Reply Report post

Typically, I don't think about my thyroid as a culprit of anything. But in Dec., after having my dosage adjusted downward, I felt a month long fatigue I could not shake. I was in the middle of match season and had the best win record on my team. I was concerned because I could not push thru it at the time. Of course there was Christmas, an out of town trip, freaky Florida weather veering between 40's and high 80's. So there's that. Anyway, these symptoms got in my head and then found I this board...

Yesterday, a woman in her 80's walked into our tennis clinic and said she wanted to try out the team. She was 4.5 rated at her best and 2 years from a back injury in a motor vehicle accident. Really strong forehand and great timing on her overhead and volleys. She's still teaching High School (sub) and is planning a another trip to England.

Conclusion: I'm being more than a little whiney about some random fatigue.

I never want to play pin-the-tail on the thyroid for something I can manage with a little accommodation or mental adjustment. I love hearing about your workouts and what you're planning to do next!

Reply Report post

I am a personal trainer, as a second career after a career in a medical field. I had my TT 4/11, with RAI 5/11, and follow up central neck dissection 9 months later. The only fatigue that I could actually blame on my thyroid issues were present as I was having my TSH adjusted. At one point, prior to the RAI my TSH went over 150, I could not work out through those fatigue/muscle issues, however, when my TSH was still around 100 I could still mow the grass and do a 20 mile bike ride. I feel great now and if a have a headache or can't sleep one night, I figure that I had caffeine too close to bed or the weather is changing.
I have had no issues with the meds and for me the synthroid/levoxyl did replace my thyroid. No weight gain, still intense workouts, and good mental attitude. I know every situation is different, but if you hang out on these message boards you will convince yourself that your ingrown toenail is due to your thyroid! You sound like you are in great shape with a great activity level, maybe your change in energy/sleep habits are due to menopause or your body is still adjusting to your dosage change or your ongoing hypoglycemia.
If you are doing the same exercise routine that you have done for years, maybe you could switch it up a little bit to get your body to adapt to different challenges. You have to keep challenging your muscles to get them to improve.
You sound like you have a great attitude, hang in there it will get better when you get your blood sugar levels on an even keel.
I am 54 years old and had my TT when I was 51.

Reply Report post

Any advice for getting back to working out after withdrawing for RAI and newly starting on synthroid? I had my TT on 12/3 and was put on cytomel initially. I am on my second day of withdrawal from that and will have my RAI on 1/28, likely starting synthroid on 1/31. I play hockey and am trying to figure out how much time I might miss. I'm hoping to get back to a normal-ish feeling quickly so I can start working out quickly. How much did you guys struggle to get back to a normal workout routine after RAI (if you had it obviously)? Even after surgery, I've struggled with how much to push myself and what was normal exhaustion vs recovery/having no thyroid exhaustion?

Reply Report post

I say listen to your body!! You know what you can and can not do. Good luck!

Reply Report post

Thank you hlg60 -

You reminded me that I used to track my TSH, and observing a cause and effect would be helpful. Agree 100% about the ingrown toenail effect. It's so important to move on - as in your example, treat insomnia as insomnia, for how ever it comes to you.

What was also happening to me was that I exceeded my tennis goals , I wanted to be above the middle. As I was starting to achieve, I was just waiting for the shoe to drop - twisted ankle, tennis elbow, pulled calf muscle. And as I avoided or passed through these things, the month long fatigue set in. I thought, here it is, here comes the boom.

But that didn't happen and I'm going to set a bigger goal, and continue doing what I love.

I hope the 80 year old joins our clinics, her presence was really giving me energy. I want to know how to age and continue to play tennis.

Reply Report post

Hi there, I had TT on 12/4/13 and RAI on 1/16/14...I would consider myself to be very active, doing long runs, triathlons,olympic lifting etc. After both the surgery and the RAI I got right back into my routine and on the first couple of days when I was tired I just made the effort to get dressed in exercise gear and do 20 minutes of something. Keeping the routine is important. I had a tough time on some long 2 hr + runs while on LID without electrolytes and gu - but I made it. I also had some issues with cramping and numbess from low calcium - I now bring tums with me when I am going out for a longer run or ride.

The only thing I have not figured out is how to keep my scar covered well enough while swimming. I am using a rash guard at the moment - but I hate how it feels. Any ideas?

Reply Report post

I'm unable to see all responses but I'd Definately look at getti a cortisol saliva test.
Adrenal issues go hand in hand with thyroid issues which endos don't believ ein because they just don't get anythign really lol
There is no way one pill replaces a glan that effects 100% of the body... It's ridiculous.

Also, I'd look at switching to natural thryoid hormone...
I was bed ridden for one year and told I was depressed, not your thyroid, etc etc
I lost my life, business etc because I was unable, to work.
Heaps better after working on adrenals and swocthing from synthetic...
Oh and the hypoglycemia is horrible... Just comes on all of a sudden :/ cortisol regulates blood sugar/glucose.

Goodluck :)

Reply Report post