Almost done with external beam radiation

I am 18 treatments done and 15 more to go. I know this is where it may get tough but so far so good

24 replies. Join the discussion

Best wishes!! You're doing great.

Thanks for keeping us posted. Hang in there! Sending you hugs and healing thoughts.

I went through this in January and February . Take each day as it comes, and the treatment will be over before you know it.Recovery can take awhile, but it will happen!

Be Strong and Stay Positive!

Best wishes that this ends your cancer journey and you can get on with your life!

mindy, god love you! I pray it doesn't get too tough for you, I have a feeling you are gonna do great! keep us posted...

Good luck Mindy. Keep hanging in there and get through this and on to better days. Xoxo

you are a warrior and fighter! prayers for a successful, uneventful treatment process.

Mindy - for what it's worth, I also had 30 EBR treatments back in 2009 for thyroid cancer and understand exactly what you are going through. I'm guessing you are starting to feel the effects of the radiation by now, and if you aren't, you will soon - the worst sore throat and sunburned neck ever, great difficulty talking, lots of mucuous making it difficult to breath, etc. The good news is that within a month or two of the treatment ending things should be back to normal...more or less. I still have a few odd side effects (I lose my voice for about 15 second after I yawn, my voice gets very rough if I talk for more than a few minutes, and still lots of mucuous), but for the most part I have no issues and I'm glad I did the treatment since I had a 50/50 chance of recurrence without it.

A few final suggestions: 1) be sure to have someone take a picture of you while you're immobilized with the mask strapped down over your head - it makes for great conversation at parties! 2) Tell the tech you want to keep the mask - it's a good souvenir and it can be adapted into all sorts of great Halloween costumes!

Hang in there, it'll be over before you know it.

Five left

yeay! countdown... i hope you are feeling ok thru it. it must be tough!

Thinking of you. So glad you only have five left! Hope you are faring okay, hang in there!

Hope you are doing well, and pray you come through this with clear scans!

Be Strong and Stay Positive!

Glad to hear you are almost done Mindy! :)

So exciting for you........your last week is finally here!!!!!
be very proud of having accomplished this challenging feat!
Good luck this week and congratulations!

Good luck. can you tell me why you have EBR? I am having RAI in December new to PCwithFVT - not sure how often it recurs or not or if one zap ends it - apparently my lymphs were good and stayed but I hear differently from people on line and thats more important than doctors telling you, you have garden variety cancer

@lumpyneck.... ebr was necessary for me, i will try and make this a short story. tt2008-small dose rai- 2012 positive tg and lymph nodes on us=modified neck followed with 200mci rai 2012 november lymphnodes on us, positive tg positive pet scan non avid for rai. 2013 second opinion at sloan cat scan shows mass on trachea 2013 june surgery three tumors removed one on trachea, one trachea involving esophagous (wrapping around or something) and than a surprise one under my criciod. post surgery reports indicated poorly differentated thyroid cancer with no clean margins. so being no clean margins and non avid of rai and the surgeon saying that this will come back and will be a large nasty bleeding tumor i had the tumor board at slaon kettering discuss my options and ebr was really my only clear choice. i am 43 active and my only issue is my thyroid cancer every doctor i have gone tells me it is not if it would come back but when, now the radiation oncoligist tells me 80 percent that it will never come back to my neck......i will take that

Mindy, you were dealt a difficult hand but you are handling it admirably. You took the steps necessary to get answers and you went with what the experts told you. You are an inspiration! I sincerely hope the thyca has been arrested and that you can go back to your life with renewed hope and energy. Your schedule of treatment has been gruesome. Before you go back to work or some other demanding activity, give yourself permission to take a breather and enjoy what makes you happy. Hugs to you.

@DLN07 i have been working every weekend through out this... ebr m-f and 12 hour shifts, saturday and sunday, on a critical care floor. i am a bit tired now so after my last treatment on friday i did take a week off from work. i took my son to college on august 22nd and started treatment on the 26th (i asked to start treatments after i tucked him away at college) so my house is a real mess. lol
i will find out if this is working in three months so cross your fingers

fingers and toes crossed! prayering always)

see...i can't type with crossed fingers ;)
prayering...a new word!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders