Intriguing placement of ads for Humira on cable TV

Last night I happened to be watching the movie Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen on cable TV (the xfinity FX channel). The movie is about a war between two factions of alien robots, the Autobots and the Decepticons. What surprised me was that a 30 second commercial for Humira ran at least two times during the course of the showing. (from 7 to 10:30PM).
Seeing the commercials run in association with this movie brought to mind the imagery I had created and displayed in an earlier journal entry titled Homage to Enbrel (Sculpture). I was on Enbrel for three years before switching to Humira to treat my psoriatic arthritis. I've been on Humira for a year new, and it is still effective in treating my psoriatic arthritis and plaque psoriasis.

I also had created an image titled
Homage to Enbrel Woman:
Homage to "Enbrel Woman"
The person depicted as "Enbrel Woman" is Dr. Patricia Beckmann, who is a co-Inventor of Enbrel. Dr Beckman posted a nice note to my guestbook about this image. She said:

Bill,

This is Patricia Beckmann writing to you. I just did a google search on my name and came up with Enbrel Man.....I love it. Can I get a copy of the pic? I'd love to put it on my Facebook page. I have a very irreverent sense of humor and hope that Enbrel has helped you and others.
All the best,
Patricia

I do wonder about one thing though. How much could the cost of the drugs (Humira and Enbrel) be lowered if they weren't advertised on TV? How much of the cost of the drug for the patient is spent on marketing?

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders