Wonders of Sesame Oil

** Originally posted by Ringator **

I've would love to share with you all my great experience, hope that it helps you all too.


I've been dealing with Psoriasis for almost ten years now, since I was 10 years old. On my both elbows, knees and most importantly an area on my right leg two times the size of my palm, which has been expanding through the years.

Like everyone else I've visited many doctors and tried so many treatments that i can't even recall the names.

About two years ago a friend of mine started using Sesame Oil as a moisturizer and she recommended it to me. Apart from using it as a moisturizer I used it on my psoriasis. I can tell you that it worked like magic. In a one month period, used once a day, my psoriasis was gone! I was even sometimes lazy and would only apply it once a week.

I sometimes forget to keep applying it to my skin, about a month ago my psoriasis was back, I'd given up because I saw no symptoms of improvement in the first week, but in a one month it disappeared again. I don't think I'd ever doubt in the magical power of Sesame Oil ever again!

I have to say that it did not cure mine, but it keeps it away and keeps my skin smooth as if I've never experienced such a thing.
I think it's worth trying. I also read somewhere that sesame oil has great healing powers, I hope someday someone can do a research and find out if it can help cure psoriasis.



The very wonderful advantages of using sesame oil is that:

1. It doesn't have a strong smell, or even a bad one.
2. The skin absorbs it so quickly that it won't dirty the clothes or sheets.
3. It's not as greasy as other oils.
4. It's not expensive (at least not in my country).


I hope that someone else can use this tip and enjoy having a smooth skin once in a while. Not being afraid and ashamed of wearing skirts, has been one of the best things that has happened to me in the past few years!

Report post

11 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by stewartintheUK **

excellent.

How thick was your psoriasis scales? I find most moisturisers cant penetrate the thick layers.

Report post

** Originally posted by deb54 **

Ringator, Welcome to the Psoriasis boards. Glad to hear from you.

I tried sesame oil a couple of years ago. It actually made my P worse, set off another allergic reaction. I went back to my derm and he told me to stop all oils or creams. My P stopped itching and spreading withing a few days of it drying up. I now use an in-home nbuvb lamp and it is under control. There are many treatments out there that work for some whereas others recieve no benefit. I thought the sesame seed oil was a great idea....lol...not if you are allergic. It did make my skin smooth, but it also increased the redness and after a couple days, the itching was unbearable. Since I was new to the treatment, I continued....word of warning, red and itching after anything one puts on.....not so good.

The only relief I can get from the dry skin is pure cocoa butter.....side effect, my dogs think I'm a chocolate bar.....hehehe!...

Thanks for posting....hope to see you around....

Report post

** Originally posted by Brandi **

Thanks for sharing your encouraging story Ringator. We never know what will work for us and it's always good to hear stories like yours.

Report post

** Originally posted by elliott **

I use it to cook Asian food with. There are many different brands and the brand I use is way too aromatic to put on your skin.

Report post

** Originally posted by Ringator **

excellent.

How thick was your psoriasis scales? I find most moisturisers cant penetrate the thick layers.

Actually I can say that my psoriasis wasn't that thick, but the redness and scales, were enough noticeable to prevent me from wearing any shorts or skirts for some 8 years

Report post

** Originally posted by Ringator **

Ringator, Welcome to the Psoriasis boards. Glad to hear from you.

I tried sesame oil a couple of years ago. It actually made my P worse, set off another allergic reaction. I went back to my derm and he told me to stop all oils or creams. My P stopped itching and spreading withing a few days of it drying up. I now use an in-home nbuvb lamp and it is under control. There are many treatments out there that work for some whereas others recieve no benefit. I thought the sesame seed oil was a great idea....lol...not if you are allergic. It did make my skin smooth, but it also increased the redness and after a couple days, the itching was unbearable. Since I was new to the treatment, I continued....word of warning, red and itching after anything one puts on.....not so good.

The only relief I can get from the dry skin is pure cocoa butter.....side effect, my dogs think I'm a chocolate bar.....hehehe!...

Thanks for posting....hope to see you around....

Thank you for sharing with us, actually the very good thing about sesame oil is that the first thing it does is that it reduces the redness, just after 2-3 weeks it will begin to smooth the skin. But as I did mention it does not work very fast, as all other (annoying) treatments it takes too long.

Report post

** Originally posted by Ringator **

Thanks for sharing your encouraging story Ringator. We never know what will work for us and it's always good to hear stories like yours.

I'll be more than happy if my experience can help even one person, you have no idea, some times i just feel so guilty, that why I felt like it was my duty to at least share this with someone somewhere. Still to the day that there is an absolute cure for all of us...

I use it to cook Asian food with. There are many different brands and the brand I use is way too aromatic to put on your skin.

Thank you for mentioning that. I forgot the mention that the oil I use was produced in the traditional way. NOT by factories and it's not the filtered. That's why it's kinda thick.

I live in a traditional country that's why I could find some "original" sesame oil, and also that's why finding an alternative cure is so out of reach..

Report post

** Originally posted by Vancouverguy_76 **

I've got some in my cupboard. I'm gonna try it right now. Has anyone else had good/bad experiences with sesame seed oil?

Report post

** Originally posted by daytonaflyer **

I've been using sesame oil for the past month or so on my elbows and knees and haven't experienced any improvement at all. I just use it because on the Pagano regimen, he suggests using peanut oil, but I didn't have any, so I used left over sesame oil. Now I bought some peanut oil and will be using that too.

Report post

** Originally posted by Vancouverguy_76 **

I've been using sesame oil for the past month or so on my elbows and knees and haven't experienced any improvement at all. I just use it because on the Pagano regimen, he suggests using peanut oil, but I didn't have any, so I used left over sesame oil. Now I bought some peanut oil and will be using that too.

daytonaflyer, please keep us updated on your peanut oil progress. If it works for you, I'm off to go shopping again ;)

Report post

** Originally posted by TaraFIU **

Neutrogena makes a Sesame body oil. I have found it to be a great moisturizer to use. It works really well, sinks in quickly, is light and has a very mild, nice smell.

Report post

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders