Witch Hazel dissolves Scalp Psoriasis Flakes

** Originally posted by chauvina **

No it doesn't cure scalp P and it ususally contains 14% alcohol so it is very drying but if you are ready to walk out the door and notice some flakes get a cotton ball and dab the flakes with the witch hazel. It contains salicylic acid. It is super cheap and can be found in the first aid section of the grocery or drug store. I actually put some (With a pointed tip applicator bottle) on my scalp after my shower. It soothes the p and dissolves the scales shaken up by hair washing.
I will add that I have guttate p and not plaque and my scalp is about 60-80% covered.
IT DOES CONTAIN ALCOHOL so use with caution. YOu may be able to find a concoction with a lower % of alcohol. good luck.

Report post

10 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MadCat **

It contains salicylic acid. It is super cheap.

Witch Hazel would be ok for a very occasional emergency measure but I would not recommend using it on a regular basis, and there is a very good reason why it's cheap.

Salicylic Acid (derived from phenol**) is a preservative used in these types of products. When absorbed through the skin / scalp it can cause abdominal pain, increased respiration, mental disturbances, skin rashes, dermatitis, allergic reactions and aspirin sensitive people should avoid it completely.

**Phenol (derived from petroleum) is a disinfectant, also used in these types of products. When absorbed through the skin / scalp it can cause cancer, neurotoxin, kidney & liver damage, nervous disorders and skin rashes.

Salicylic Acid is classed as hazardous and should be avoided where possible.

Phenol is classed as very hazardous, and products with this ingredient should always be avoided.

On top of all that, Alcohol strips away the natural oils that protect the skin, which leads to even more skin problems.

If you were to just dab a bit on your scalp occasionally, it probably won’t harm you (!) but why take the risk.

If you were using it regularly over a number of years, you may have to question “is it worth it”.

Report post

** Originally posted by AnnieB **

Yes, if you have a sensitivity you should avoid salicylic acid. And avoid sun if you have a chemical peel or something like that. But many people have no problem using common products that contain salicylic acid: shampoos like T/Sal, skin creams, etc. At 3 percent and less, the NPF considers it safe. I fear the above post is an exaggeration of the risks. Your mileage may vary. See http://www.psoriasis.org/treatment/psoriasis/topicals/sal_acid.php

Report post

** Originally posted by AnnieB **

BTW, Witch Hazel does not CONTAIN Salicylic Acid. They are two completely different substances. Perhaps you were using some preparation that includes both?

Report post

** Originally posted by Dulane **

Phenol is a main ingredient in any coal tar treatment. There have always been debates as to whether it is carcinogenic or not...but research hasn't proven it to be very dangerous.

Phenol is also a main ingredient in the P&S oil that many people use on their scalps.

I've always heard that witch hazel is mild and useful for skin abrasions and rashes.

:confused:

Report post

** Originally posted by eranthis **

If you can find a good, low- or non-alcohol based product, it might even have some real effect. Not sure if they'd be good or bad, though.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14069683

more info, less scientific: http://www.stevenfoster.com/education/monograph/witchhazel.html

plus, it's one of my favorite shrubs.

Chris

Report post

** Originally posted by chauvina **

Sorry you are right. It doesn't contain sal. acid. Not sure where I got that idea...sorry.
There is no sal. acid or phenol in Dickinson's Witch Hazel the product I use!!!
My witch hazel says 100% natural derived from the bark of the tree.
I don't put it on my scalp but rather on my hair to dissolve the flakes. I'm sure some gets on my scalp but not much...It says for use on bruises and minor scrapes and abrasions.

Report post

** Originally posted by MadCat **

..but research hasn't proven it to be very dangerous.

Mmmmm, that's what they originally said about DDT!

http://www.chem.duke.edu/~jds/cruise_chem/pest/today.html

I'd rather not chance it, thanks. ;)

Report post

** Originally posted by A1 **

Mmmmm, that's what they originally said about DDT!

If I remember correctly, DDT was quite safe for people, however it was thought to have some negative effects on the environment.

Report post

** Originally posted by Dulane **

Yeah...there was some farmer who was eating a teaspoon of DDT daily. I wonder where he is now?

I don't think DDT was OK for anyone. They make those people who spray orchards wear alot of protective garments these days.

Personally I don't use many phenols, but I read alot of labels anyway. I can't tolerate the smell of coal tar, etc. P&S oil takes forever for me to wash out of my hair.

But I'd bet if you asked the question, "Has anyone here at the NPF had a bad reaction from Coal Tar?"....you wouldn't get many replies.

I still might try witch hazel for P, but not if it had alot of alcohol in it. I remember using it for acne years ago, but I thought the topical alcohol helped then. Maybe it did?

Oh...and further research shows that phenols that are plant derived are better than the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons - which are phenols derived from oil, tar, gas, etc. In fact, most plant based phenols are flavinoids and antioxidants.

And I guess I do use plant based phenols...because milk thistle is one plant that is high in phenol content.

I used to love pine tar soap, and it contains phenols. "Pine tar contains phenol derivatives that provide antimicrobial properties." It is also used to dress wounds on horses. My mom used that soap for P for years.

Hmmm. Learn a little every day.

:)

Report post

** Originally posted by MadCat **

It is also used to dress wounds on horses

This made me laugh - it reminds me of the infamous cow nipple cream!

Hundreds of people (or so it seems like), have told me about a fantastic cream that will completely clear P…………..but apparently you can only purchase it from a veterinary clinic.

It is used for cracking or chapping on the nipples / udder of cows. I can’t remember the name of it, so don’t ask.

How on earth do people discover this type of connection? I can only presume a farmer had P on his hands and noticed it improved after applying the cream to his cow’s udders.

In desperation, I once tried to buy some from my vet but he refused to sell it to me because he said it had never been adequately tested for humans. I suppose he was worried about the legal aspects of selling it to me.

So I never got chance to try it and have often wondered about it.

----------------------------------------------

In answer to my original toxic chemical posting:

I believe that humans are not autonomous entities. I believe that we are energetically connected to one another and our surroundings.

What affects the environment in one part of the world has a flow on effect to people and the environment in another, even those thousands of kilometres away.

So in my mind it stands to reason that, what effects the environment negatively, ultimately also affects us and our health negatively.

The problem may not manifest itself immediately but it always eventually manifest will in some form or another.

Toxic chemicals (such as DDT) are absorbed into the earth where these chemicals contaminate the soil and destroy the nutrients and so eventually will have a detrimental effect on the food we eat.

If Asain countries are still using DDT, maybe it is in their food chain. So when we buy Jasmine rice or Long Grain rice in a packet from our local supermarket, most of it is grown in Asian countries......certainly food for thought!

Toxic chemicals contaminate the air we breathe and the water we drink.

Obviously I can’t vouch for accuracy of studies I have read, but when you hear of things like this over and over again from numerous different sources, you have to wonder and assume there is some truth within it.

The research I have seen links exposure of DDT to Parkinson’s disease and some cancers.

However, New Scientist magazine have previously published an article claiming there were no adverse health effects.

Who’s right?

I personally worry that some studies are compromised by who is funding them. Like the Dairy Farmers Association funding research into “is dairy good for you”.

Anyway, coming back to my belief that we are all energetically connected with each other and nature, what affects one will affect all, as we are all part of the same global consciousness.

Gosh what a novel, sorry.

Report post

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders