WHy FOLIC ACID and Methotrexate???

Can someone please explain to me why doctors combine methotrexate with Humira??? what does the MTX do?? and why we have to supplement Folic acid with the methotrexate?? thanks. amey

20 replies. Join the discussion

all questions answered by Google:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16198787

It was explained to me by several Doctors that the Meds can deplete the body of this essential mineral, and if there is not enough it can cause open sores, and lesions on the inside of your mouth, and possibly on the body, so as a safety precaution it's suggested to supplement with Folic Acid as recommended by your Doctor. Good Luck, and best wishes and of course you can search for more technical answer, but this was enough to satisfy my needs, Take Care, feel good
Dashn1

I was prescribed folic acid with my methotrexate as well to avoid side effects. I have no problems with the methotrexate as a result. As I understand it, some patients on methotrexate have gastro issues and other side effects and the folic acid helps avoid that.
I hope your treatment is helping you.

Folic Acid is in the family of B vitamnins, it is needed to build healthy cells, especially red. It is used to prevent low folate levels which can lead to anemia. And that can be one of the side effect of MeX. I have just been on folic and Mex for 4 wks. The first two wks I took two 1mg of folate along the Mex. After my second wk of Mex, I felt like a truck hit me for about 24 hrs with fatigue and being cold. Called Dr and she increased folic acid to 3 on day I take the Mex and the other days just one. I can tell you it really helps those side effects and I felt good the last two times, no chills, fatigue. I have asked the pharmacist and he said your body will only absorb what it needs of the folic acid and the rest your body will throw out thru your waste. Good luck and keep taking it to make strong cells....

I'm not sure what folic acid does for psoriasis. What I do know is that folic acid reduces the homocystine levels in blood and homocystine is needed for cholesterol, vitamin D3 and several steroids to bind to other tissues in your body. How this pertains to psoriasis I don't know. In your blood vessels though, your ability for create blood vessel plaques is reduced since homocystine is needed to allow the cholesterol to form blood vessel plaques. Reduce the cholesterol or reduce the homocystine. The result is the same, less blood vessel blockage.

As mentioned above Folic Acid is given with MTX because it is known to help avoid side effects. The reason MTX or another DMARDs are often prescribed with Humira (or other biologicals) is because it can help extend the use of the biological by slowing down your body's over active immune system from becoming resistant to the biological. Studies have shown that using DAMRDs and Biologicals in tandem extends the life of usability of the biological.

Thanks everyone!! I get it now!! :)

I've started taking MTX but the derm never prescribed it to me. Can't tell too well how the MTX is bothering me 'cause I'm also dealing with sinus allergies with the mucus & occasional sinus headaches. The sinus drainage makes me sick in my stomach on occasion. The first time I took MTX, I was OK with it. Then 2 wks later when I was given a 4 wk prescription for it, I was sick with allergies & etc. and felt like crap. I still feel icky at times 'cause of my allergies which will hang on for a long time since they're year-round.

Darlene

I suffer from allergies and post nasal drip and I notice an increase after I take my med the first day.. Must be one of the side effects. Folic acid has really given me back some of my energy. You can buy over the counter or they write a scrip for 1 mg... cheaper by scrip...

Dr didn't prescribe the folic for me until I started reporting side effects after 2nd dose. But for me, the folic reduces how good the Mtx works - primarily, how long it lasts through the week. I also get the EXTREME fatigue for 48 hours, 24 hours post dose. I'll try upping my folic the day after I take it this week. He rx'd 1-2 mg's per day......

MTX was designed to bind to folate in the cells. There for depleting the amount of folic acid/folate available for necessary bodily functions. The lack of this availability is what causes the side effects. There is a study or article on the Internet from like 1955 that explains this. Why 1955? MTX has been around a long time originally and still is chemo drug for some cancers.

I saw the derm again today. Told me that my blood test from 3 wks ago was fine. Had more blood drawn today. Wrote out another prescription for the MTX. I asked him if I needed to take folic acid for the MTX and he told me "no". Since I wasn't nausea with it, he wasn't going to prescribe it for me. He said that the MTX should be in effect by the time I see him in 6 wks. Said that to cut back on the Clobetasol and use the Cetaphil &/or Vaseline and let the MTX take over helping me. So, it's a waiting game to see how the MTX does.

Darlene

Hello,

I've been taking Methotrexate for `5 yrs. and I was immediately told to take Folic Acid with it. I take a minimal dose of M. once a week, and I take 800 mcg of Folic Acid for the other 6 days (not on the day I take the M.). The Derm. Dr. told me 5 yrs. ago that the F.A. is taken to help with possible, digestive problems. Nothing else was said. He initially prescribed the F.A. but most insurance companies will not let you get a prescription for something which is available in the Vitamin dept. (Can't think of the correct term at 6 am.)

FYI is that I am required to see my Derm. Dr. every 2-3 mos. because I take the M. And, I have to have my blood taken every 3-4 mos. depending on the previous results. I'm always good. And, I've never had any side-effects with either.

Another FYI is that, when I saw a Rheum. Dr. last week, he told me that he somestimes he gives a very large dose of M. to cancer patients. Like 24 pills per week, but given for pain relief. And, he immediately said that F.A. is .always. given with it.

One thing I discovered a few mos. ago is that the "Super B Complex" supplement I sometimes take has 400 mcg of F.A. in it. So, a guess is that, if I was to take that supplement every day, I would need to reduce the amount of F.A. I take.

In reading the above responses, I'm learning some things I did not know. I'll read them again later in the morning.

By the way, on 4 pills of M. a week, I have been clear of scaling for ~ 4 mos. So, I am lucky.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

(Reminder that Psoriasis can also affect the "moist areas" of your body, and sometimes a higher dose of M. will help clear up the redness, etc.)

All very interesting,, I have been on M for 5 wks, take 6 pills today with 3 folic acid. It helps me with the fatigue and dizziness the first 36 hrs.. I have low blood pressure normally like 98 over 62 so I get the dizzy side effect. Otherwise fine, blood tests are good every wk. Skin is smoothing out but the plaque is lessening some days. the Derm wrote a scrip for Lidex to help with the skin. I am sure this is going to take time. Glad it is winter in Ohio can cover the arms and legs up at this time of year.

Today is my MTX day. Took 3 this morning and will take 3 more tonight. I took my morning meds almost 2 hrs. before the MTX. I'm dealing with allergies and the usual mucus & headaches. So, I can't tell how the MTX is bothering me. As usual, I don't sleep too well 'cause I'm a night owl. So, I always lack sleep...BAD habit. So, I'm half out of it today. My head is congested and I've got a headache...will take a couple of Tylenol soon. So far, stomache isn't feeling icky for a change 'cause the sinus drainage makes me sick off & on. I hope to go to bed sooner tonight and hope & pray I feel better tomorrow. Gotta help my younger sister pack & move tomorrow.

Have taken things easy some today but I've gotta kick myself in the butt and get a few things done today. Drank a cup of cappuccino this morning but will drink caffiene hot tea this afternoon in hopes of waking me up some. DANG! No Coke in the house! LOL Oh well, I'll rely on the tea. It's suppose to get up to around 50* here but we've got colder temps next week. I'm a hot tea person all year round but water is my main drink.

I put Dermarest on my hands this afternoon and put my cotton gloves on. Will change over to the vinyl gloves when I clean the downstairs & do etc. this weekend. Will get our tree put up this weekend. Hope to work on crafting this weekend, permitting my hands feels fine with the vinyl gloves on to work on them. Sore fingertips keeps me from working on my plastic canvas needlepoint projects too much, even with the vinyl gloves on. Got lots to do before Christmas, including baking & candy making and, need to Christmas shop next week. Hope my hands are fine to do all that I need done.

It is my understanding that the folic acid protects your liver...MTX depletes folic acid....and..as MTX can cause liver damage it is perscribed as a precaution.....my doc also said do not let myself get dehydrated while taking it.....

I know I increase the water consumption the first 3 days every wknd to help any side effects and to keep it moving thru system... I also think it build red blood cells to keep your hemoglobin up every wk....

Just reviewing the responses and wanted to mention that some people wear long-sleeved shirts to hide the plaque during the winter. But, Psoriasis skin .needs. sunshine or light. So, in your home, or as often as possible expose your arms to light.

And, I've always had seasonal allergies, worst is dust/mold/mites, and then oak pollen, and possibly pine trees, etc. So, every season I get affected in some way. And, yes, every time I have Sinus problems and post-nasal-drip, my stomach is yucky. But, I have never noticed that any of the 4 meds I take causes these problems, including Methotrexate.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

P.S. On another discussion I saw feet mentioned, and I would guess that feet need to be exposed to light as often as possible. Inside my home I'm always barefoot. But, during the winter, I have extra-dry skin. When necessary, I cut the toes and ankle out of an old pair of cotton socks (husband's), and use them over ointment. Just keep them separate, no need to wash them every single day.

I'm hot blooded and so, I rarely wear long sleeves during the winter, much less all year around. I wear a jacket, shall, or cover up with a blanket if I'm chilly inside our house. I love the sunlight for a variety of things. I prefer it for crafting instead of using a lamp, including the natural light bulb. The sun warms up the south part of our house in the winter. My bedroom is the whole south half our house upstairs. I do sit in the sun off & on but have to watch out 'cause I get sunburned too easily. Just sitting in my car while driving, I got sunburned on my neck. I try to get my arms & hands in the sun. My arms don't have P on them but my hands, wrists, & feet do. On occasion, I like the warmth of the sun on me to help keep me warm instead of covering myself up with something.

So far, I feel OK with the MTX. With the allergies, I'm usually not feeling as well the day before, of, & after for a day or two...maybe 3. So, it's hard to tell how I feel with MTX. I think it effects me in some sort of a way but I don't let it get to me. If I feel sick, then I take it easy and deal with it. If I'm feeling up to doing something, I'll do whatever but I try not to overdo myself.

My younger brother & his family are coming to my mom & dad's on the 21st. It's my MTX day. HO-HUM! I'll have taken my first 3 pills that morning. It'll be a busy day for me. Thank God supper is at my mom & dad's! While my mom is taking care of the main food, I've got the candies & cookies to tend to a few days beforehand and any last-min. prep. Then there's my crafting for my two nieces this week & next. Got more crafting for a nephew to get in the mail.

The cracks are slowly coming back on my hands now that I'm off of the Clobetasol for 3 wks. Been off of it for almost a week. Trying to keep the cracks from getting out of control due to the crafting & baking.

Darlene

I am having a little problem with dizziness this week, I took my 6 pills last Fri and the dizziness started on Monday, it comes and goes,.. Derm called me and told me my one liver enzyme went up with last weeks' blood work and I am to go back down to 5 this week. Had new blood work done yesterday. Just have to wait and see. I am small framed person and my wright about 118 so maybe the dose will be changed. I am showing signs of improvement. Sunshine is out in Ohio, think I will get out and get some today...

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders