Which body organ is not filtering properly in P sufferers.

I understand that psoriasis is a auto immune disorder, but for toxins to get into the blood stream the bodies organs must not be filtering properly. Which organ is not filtering properly? Liver, pancreas, LGS etc....

Edited December 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm

123 replies. Join the discussion

This is from an article titled Searching for Credible Medical Information on the Internet from Medicinenet:

Be cautious when using information found on bulletin boards or during "chat" sessions with others. Testimonials and personal stories are based on one person's experience rather than on objective facts or proven medical research.

Eating healthy foods doesn't help my psoriasis all that much, but eating the wrong ones definitely causes my skin to itch within seconds. I'm unable to eat any processed foods whatsoever and I'm forced to only eat organic foods even though they are much more expensive. My skin itches uncontrollably if I eat sulphites such as sulfur dioxide or sodium bisulphite. Pretty much any artificial ingredient causes my skin to itch and become very red. Asorbic acid (also known as vitamin C) is another artificial chemical that causes an immediate allergic reaction. It's different from the vitamin C you find in a lemon for example.

I once went on a diet of nothing but fruits and vegetables for a month. It was torture, but I lost a lot of weight and my skin was about 50% better than normal. I'm sure if I could last six months on fruits and vegetables the psoriasis would go into complete remission. However, it would come back if I started eating normally.

I'm also curious as to why my liver is not filtering out toxins properly. Is the food leaking out of my digestive tract into the bloodstream even before it has a chance to go through the kidneys and liver? I don't know but I hope someone will do more research on this topic.

I've compiled a website documenting my experience with diet. I think everyone is different, but there are some similarities. A lot of people with psoriasis have suggested pork and red wine as triggers. Also fats and acidic foods.

For anyone curious about my experience with diet, the site is at www.psoriasisanddiet.org.

My dear Lazza, (Larry)

You seem agitated that there are those of us in this community who feel betrayed by this alternative medicine tack you espouse.

I have lived with this disease since 1975. I have taken otc medications and remedy's from our nations finest health food stores which have included vitamins, herbals, diets and numerous other sources without long term benefit. This disease ebbs and flows and will leave the sufferer with the sense that YES this one WORKS...only to go back to the square one experience of, oh crap, it is still there.

I am now facing a late stage cancer that has developed because I never thought my TOE would betray me. This disease is not a game nor a contest to see which treatment wins. It is a real disease with real consequences. Medicine and the minds that work in it's hallowed laboratories is where this disease needs to be studied. Not in the arena of non peer reviewed researchers who exclaim " hey I think this works...check this out!"

FYI I have not embarked on a biologic/systemic treatment, and no diet has done squat on my disease except Omega 3 which makes my lesions less angry. That is all.

Erik

"We get this because we drew the short straw genetically speaking..."

But the genetic component is complex and heredity only partially explains psoriasis ... Here's an article explaining that heredity is "not the only cause". http://www.psorinfo.com/Genetic-factors.aspx?ID=47

(only) "Twenty five percent of people with psoriasis suffer from a genetically inherited form of the condition. However, there is no "psoriasis gene". Instead, there are several genes that cause a predisposition towards psoriasis, located in various chromosomal regions. This section deals with the role of genetics in psoriasis." ...

"A complex genetic disorder
Research* on monozygotic twins (i.e. identical twins who have the same genetic setup) showed that when one twin suffered from psoriasis, there was a 65% to 72% probability that the other twin would also have the condition. In dizygotic twins (non-identical twins), this probability was between 15% and 30% (2) .
These figures show that genetics are involved in psoriasis, but they also demonstrate that hereditary factors are not the only cause. If they were, there would be a 100% probability in the case of identical twins. As a result, it is clear that psoriasis is also influenced by environmental factors. At the moment, the number and nature of genetic and environmental factors involved in the onset of psoriasis are unknown."

Diet a likely environmental factor.

Larry,

I deeply regret the situation you are in. ( I read your profile and thread regarding your toe )
And I am more honored in reflection of your comment about being cut from the same cloth.

The good thing about Inspire is that anyone who wants can contribute. Equals, so it seems.
That's also the bad thing. Good writers and passionate writers will be more read without regard to their credentials.

Transitioning that to this thread, everyone chooses what to believe. Those with open minds are free to change course, whereas others will defend their original belief to great lengths.

I am still contemplating a visit to the tanning booth despite reading of your situation AND having a brother-in-law who has twice had skin cancers. Certainly pausing at this point. Is it better to obtain some short term relief or live with less attractive skin while reducing long term risk?

Implore is a strong word, so I will just urge everyone be respectful. Disagreement by itself encourages deeper thinking.
Disagreement + personal attacks is just RUDE.

We can observe skin and then suspect the severity of the condition. But that may not provide a valid conclusion.

I believe some people with otherwise strong immune systems can provide a gentle nudge with dietary or environmental change and have good results. Other people with similar appearance may have little or no change. Age related? Maybe.

People honestly posting their condition and what has helped or not helped are more interesting to me.

After reading Larry's post ( consider yourself "outed" ), I now have a more positive view of JuliainFL. She may not have even noticed I questioned her because I mostly kept it to myself. I didn't think it was good to cut-and-paste the same message regarding glycerin + witch hazel over and over - too impersonal for my tastes. But after reading her life journey and the treatments she has tried I now understand the driving passion.

Wishes for all to have a joyous Christmas and be nice to one another,
Bob

professorerik, sorry if my post makes me appear angry. I am not angry at all, just a bit exasperated. I just grow wearisome of the "Eleventh Commandment"-types of posts. These are the all encompassing, ultra-definitive posts. "Diet doesn't work on psoriasis." is just one of them. It means diet won't help anyone at any time for psoriatics, and I if you say anything to the contrary, post a link that says anything to the contrary then you are stupid, a liar, or should quit taking mind-altering drugs. And if you say diet has improved your psoriasis then you are really hopeless, especially if you post before and after photos. ... Having said this, anyone who says "Diet will work for all psoriatics." are equally wrong and unhelpful.

It is extremely tempting to take one's experience and extrapolate this to mean "if XYZ worked (or didn't work) for me then it should work (or not work) for everyone else". This simply isn't true, and it doesn't mean you did anything wrong (..this last point is very hard for some people to grasp).

Let me close by giving just a few comments about my history. I have not suffered with psoriasis for as long as you. However three years ago when I developed severe PPP I was utterly devastated; I felt disabled. Now how did I go about finding out that eliminating dairy and gluten and start taking fermented vegetables (homemade sauerkraut, which is loaded with probiotics) would clear my psoriasis by 95% to date? These actions are not a result of lucky guesses. Since I also had severe IBS for a number of years I naturally assumed my poor gut health was somehow triggering an autoimmune response. I researched the internet and read books to see if others have experience in gut health and psoriasis. The common answers pointed to food sensitivities, especially dairy and gluten, and probiotics. Additionally there have been a few wonderful NPF forum posters who advised me patiently; they were in my same shoes before they embarked on a dietary treatment path. And so this is why I post on this forum: to help other people see if diet will provide them relief from this dreaded disease.

_Lazza

PS - sorry about your current health woes!

PPS - I should add that I've also taken many different supplements that seem to have been nothing but a waste of money. Trial and error is part of game in treating psoriasis, be it through alternative or conventional means. And early on I did take Soriatane, which worked wonders for six weeks before creating such undesirable side effects that It pushed me to explore my own alternative treatment plan. I should be very grateful for my derm for prescribing Soriatane, albeit at the time I didn't have kind words for him!

Hey folks,

sorry I may have gotten a bit forceful in my approach--I guess you can gather that I too am a bit exasperated by this damn psoriasis. I think I have just been sliding in and out of the anger phase of getting this lousy CA diagnoses this week.

Bob and Larry both said it well that we truly do have singular success and failure with the things that we try...and we should never stop being curious about how we can improve our lives.

There, now i feel better too. ;-)

Erik

draftgirl. But there are people who have healed P after taking diets, Just saying what if there are more ways P could be triggered.

iam thinking my P is triggered by Candida.

Several studies have also shown a link between psoriasis and gluten intolerance in some patients. (Posted by Draftgirl)

My sister's Rheumatologist immediately suggests that his patients with P and PSA go on a gluten free diet. He is not an "alternative" dr. It has been proven that eliminating gluten from diet for "some" people has been extremely beneficial in clearing P. So please do not say that diet has NOTHING to do with it because it just might help "some" people out there suffering with P and PSA. This is why I like this forum so much is that it has a wonderful group of contributors all posting different and individual experiences some of which may help another person searching for answers. If diet change did not work for you, it does not mean that it will not help alleviate symptoms/suffering for another. Some of us here on the site are living, breathing proof that it does work. Medicine has it's place but it is not the end all cure for anything and often times can do more harm than good! I believe that one must take a balanced approach to both, have an open mind to all info. you come across, use your best judgement and see what works for you. I would sooner experiment with diet than a zillion drugs! Just my opinion. I too have tried several different ointments for years with no relief and the ointments caused more itching! When my Dr., who I do like, suggested Methotrexate, I decided to try a safer path and look at what I was doing to myself on a daily basis that may be taxing my immune system. I gave up refined sugar, alcohol, gluten, and now as of late, caffeine. My skin has never looked so good. If it flares again out of nowhere, I promise to post that here as well. So far, I'm happy with the changes and very grateful to those that are willing to go out on a limb here and post their own personal experiences regarding diet, even if they get slammed for it. It helped me and I am one of the P sufferers out there, so thank you!

I am pretty certain that for me dairy and certain kinds of gluten affect my gut and result in a worsening of my psa and p. My 25 year old son recently went on a weird diet that he and friend designed to lose weight. He dropped 80 pounds by eliminating just the foods he loves most of which are bread, flour products, sugar and anything fried. Guess what - his psoriasis has significantly improved. He wasn't treating it with anything else at all. After following an elimination diet for some time and experiencing improvement I decided to eat greek yogurt again since I love it and believe it to be good for me. I also starting eating more wheat products. Well my fingers are swollen once again and my back has some new red spots. Back to the supplements and watching my diet. Holiday season is over!!! No more cookies. I know the leaky gut has an impact on psoriasis. The AMA is all powerful and it will be many years before modern medicine will treat with diet and exercise first before prescribing dangerous drugs. Most people want a quick fix which I understand and they believe the drugs will fix them when the doctors hands them that prescription. Its' only after years of being on the steriods and biolgics that they discover that those drugs don't work either.

Has anyone besides me ever noticed that the treatments for psoriasis, Crohn's disease, Lupus and several other afflictions is identical. My wife has had Lupus since 1983. I have 2 friends with Crohn's disease, and several friends with psoriasis and one I know who has both Crohn's and psoriasis We all get treated the same and respond similarly to the treatments. The meds that my wife gets for Lupus are identical to the ones I get for psoriasis, same pills, same creams and ointments, same vitamin D supplements, everything. Is this just a coincidence or do we all just have one disease manifested with various symptoms?

for me its Candida

i've been suspecting the pancreas...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1521870/

I'm not sure a study from 1953 could be considered a reliable source for this...more likely this has been explained through repeated studies or other factors involved in the results.

i'm not sure, i haven't seen any recent studies... but were those older tests, like the one below re the exocrine function of the pancreas, reliable?

http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/summary/76/2/236

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreatin

it has been implicated in other cases, but to what extent? idk...

http://versita.metapress.com/content/544150m64w4633v6/

here's another article...

http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/summary/76/2/239

moreover, in regards to the exocrine function of the pancreas....

http://lib.bioinfo.pl/paper:17087194

"The study revealed disturbances in the incretory and excretory functions of the pancreas in patients suffering from psoriasis"

This last one (and the most current) is studying the pancreatic functions in patients with a parasitic ailment picked up from eating bad fish who also have psoriasis. Still not a pure study and I don't think we would get much traction discussing it with a board certified Derm or endocrinologist. The other sites you have made are still going back to the 1950's when researchers were looking for anything they could hang their hat on to prove a single cause for psoriasis. Many studies have been done like these over the years that raise a flicker of hope only to be found unsustainable in the general population. We simply have too many variables in our systems to narrow this disease to a single organ.

what do you mean by a 'pure study'?

"The study revealed disturbances in the incretory and excretory functions of the pancreas in patients suffering from psoriasis or psoriasis with CO. The latter subgroup had more prominent disturbances. "

Ok here's a thought... what if the reason that diet has any effect is because if you starve yourself of certain nutrients, your immune system weakens and hence your psoriasis gets better.

There's nothing wrong with trying to study the effects of diet on P or PsA. If some studies show promise but are inconclusive then that just means more studies are needed. Drugs go through 3 phases of clinical trials, something similar should be done with anything that looks promising.

Still the fact is that there are some very good medicines available now often with minimal side effects. Remember severe Psoriasis has it's own "side effects". A strong case can be made that the side effects from one of the biologics are LESS than the side effects from the untreated disease. Essentially your risk of becoming sick is greater if you don't treat the disease.

I was just looking at the side effects from Stelara:
Table 1. Adverse reactions reported by ≥ 1% of subjects through Week 12 in
STUDY 1 and Study 2
STELARA®
Placebo 45 mg 90 mg
Subjects treated 665 664 666
Nasopharyngitis 51 (8%) 56 (8%) 49 (7%)
Upper respiratory tract infection 30 (5%) 36 (5%) 28 (4%)
Headache 23 (3%) 33 (5%) 32 (5%)
Fatigue 14 (2%) 18 (3%) 17 (3%)
Diarrhea 12 (2%) 13 (2%) 13 (2%)
Back pain 8 (1%) 9 (1%) 14 (2%)
Dizziness 8 (1%) 8 (1%) 14 (2%)
Pharyngolaryngeal pain 7 (1%) 9 (1%) 12 (2%)
Pruritus 9 (1%) 10 (2%) 9 (1%)
Injection site erythema 3 (<1%) 6 (1%) 13 (2%)
Myalgia 4 (1%) 7 (1%) 8 (1%)
Depression 3 (<1%) 8 (1%) 4 (1%)

The numbers are how many people in each group (all groups were the same size) that experienced each side effect. The first is placebo, the 2nd is 45mg Stelara, the third is 90 mg Stelara. From this study which involved 2000 people , there very limited side effects if any at all. On the other hand PASI 75 was acheived in fully 2/3s of the patients on Stelara. http://www.stelarainfo.com/pdf/PrescribingInformation.pdf

Well it's not yet approved for PsA, so for now I'm on Enbrel.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders