Which body organ is not filtering properly in P sufferers.

I understand that psoriasis is a auto immune disorder, but for toxins to get into the blood stream the bodies organs must not be filtering properly. Which organ is not filtering properly? Liver, pancreas, LGS etc....

Edited December 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm

123 replies. Join the discussion

The teeth.

They are allowing too many margaritas entry to my stomach.

You might want to post in alternative medicine - most medical professionals with years of education, training and experience disagree that toxins cause psoriasis. Not saying there is no connection, just that it is very hard to prove.

It has nothing to do with toxins, your immune is overactive and so similar to when you are sick with an infection your system goes into high gear and sends out the white blood cells to attack the "infection" only in this case there is none and so the signal is misconstrued and the body attacks itself, ie: skin cells turn over rapidly producing psoriasis plaques. The normal skin cell turnover rate is like a month and psoriasis sufferers turn over skin cells in a matter of 24-48 hours and they build up on the surface forming the plaques. This is a very simplified explanation but it is what happens in a nutshell.

If you want to know how I feel about the "toxins" theory just read what realtor910 above posted. She did a good job of explaining it.

BUT with that being said: certain chemicals are capable of exacerbating the condition even though they don't actually cause it....

If you want to know what filters things out of your body that would be the liver and kidneys. Usually the liver will break down and inactivate a given chemical ("toxin") and then the kidneys will filter and excrete it. The kidneys are capable of just filtering and excreting the chemical ("toxin") as is, but they do a MUCH better job of filtering out stuff that has already been processed by the liver. Once filtered, the chemicals will be stored in the bladder until you "relieve" yourself.

The liver is also capable of excreting some things directly into your intestine. These kinds of things will end up coming out the #2 way.

RohiniSharma, while I agree with what you have said about the genetic predisposition and environmental factors, I must say that I feel that your advice on alternative treatment ie: Ayurveda should be posted in the complimentary and alternative medicine section and not here. This area of the forum is for the discussion of P and PA and it's standard medical treatments.

Thank You!

It is so good that you joined Inspire yesterday and now we will all be cured!!

Excerpt from the Ayurveda site:

"From an Ayurvedic perspective, Psoriasis is caused due to the vitiation of vata and kapha doshas. Accumulation of toxins or ama, could also lead to this disease condition. Excessive intake of yogurt, seafood, salty foods, black gram and sour food can cause an aggravation in the disease condition. Psoriasis may also develop due to excess stress."

I shoulda realized "the vitiation of vata and kapha doshas" was the source of my conditions.

Sorry for being sarcastic, but it is warranted in this case.

Bob

Hawkeye249 Thank's for posting that excerpt! It say's it all! I hadn't bothered to read it as I am not interested, standard medical care works for me. Interestingly enough though my MD does say that there may be some merit to the "leaky gut" syndrome theory, you never know!

Candida, is what caused my Ps. Take antifungal and LIVE again and fell the smooth skin, our largest organ

Am with my Buddy Hawkeye up there. I don't believe it has anything to do with toxins leaking and rising to the skin to cause psoriasis..anymore than it's related to some kind of fungus.

If it were that simple..there would be a cure.

I'm living proof

I love yogurt...especially the kind with the fruit on the bottom.

Hawkeye...I just knew we were cut from the same cloth. ;-) My dad was raised in Chariton and of course I am a Michigan State Spartan. I suspect we both have a mutual dislike for the wolverines...

This disease is pretty well understood now in how it arises and why we get these lovely skin anomalies. Toxins are not on the list of causes...t-cells--now there is a story.

professorerik, I disagree to an extent. It is well understood how "these lovely skin anomalies" arise, which is through T cell activation, but it is not entirely understood *why* the T cells get activated in the first place. That is, it is still a mystery as to why our bodies exhibit an autoimmune response. Even more, it seems that trying to avoid factors that cause an autoimmune response varies widely ... and for many it is a complete mystery. Can toxins trigger an autoimmune response? It wouldn't shock me if some toxins agitate the immune system and cause psoriasis flares. But I think in general toxins are not a fundamental psoriasis trigger. Other things like food sensitivities, pathogen infestation and stress are the more common psoriasis triggers.

... in my opinion :)

_Larry

If it is not an auto immune disorder how would juicing or leaky gut diets have such an improvement on psoriasis.

There is absolutely no scientific proof that diet or juicing helps with psoriasis.

draftgirl, you are very wrong. Just one of several studies wrt gluten and psoriasis:

https://taylor-jackson.com/psoriasis-treatments/gluten-could-it-be-causing- your-psoriasis/

Might I suggest you do a little fact checking before you splat out misinformation??

_Lazza

PS - want to look at more technical stuff? Here you go:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18384553

From the National Psoriasis Foundation:
No scientific proof that diets help psoriasis

Psoriasis patients who want to see if diet can relieve their psoriasis will find programs, suggestions and anecdotes everywhere from the shelves of local bookstores to the National Psoriasis Foundation message board—everywhere but at their dermatologists' offices.

That's because stories of the success and failure of various diets are just that, says Dr. Joel Gelfand, assistant professor of dermatology and epidemiology at the University of Pennsylvania.

"Anecdotes are not proof," says Gelfand, a former member of the National Psoriasis Foundation Medical Board. "Not much is known or proven about how diet influences psoriasis, and the general feeling is the influence is not significant. Psoriasis is a very common disease, and goes into remission spontaneously 10 percent of the time, which explains the numerous anecdotes about 'cures' for psoriasis."

Gelfand says the best available data is a growing body of evidence that links psoriasis severity to obesity. Several studies have also shown a link between psoriasis and gluten intolerance in some patients. Otherwise, "there's not enough science to know at this point in time," Gelfand says.

Sorry folks but I have to state here that draftgirl and Hawkeye are correct in this discussion. The studies cited above (I have read them both) are not substantial nor specific enough to declare a diet as treatment. This disease has been a mystery for centuries and only recently, thanks to the funding provided by our friends at NPF we are gaining more understanding about the genetic predisposition and anatomical changes we see in p. We get this because we drew the short straw genetically speaking, not because we drink too much beer. (or margerhitas Bob ;-) )

I shudder to think how many folks who are only now discovering they have this fun disease will start ignoring medical science and start going down the alternative medicine path. Steve Jobs may still be with us if he hadn't jetted off to Switzerland for untested cancer treatments before getting serious with his doctors here in the states. I encourage everyone to use the NPF site for validation and information. There are many folks out there who are anxious to take our money when we are vulnerable and looking for an answer.

I am not only an accounting professor but I am also a fraud examiner (certified) and I must admit to having a higher level of cynicism but we just need to be careful about leaving the path of logic and peer reviewed research.

Thanks Professorerik.

I couldn't agree more that people with psoriasis need to be very wary of the information they read on the Internet.

i would also just like to state that most doctors arent always knowledgeable on nutrition and would pressume that weighs greatly on why diets arent "Scientific proof"

most people are different and even with medication people have different side effects.. hence why different medications/treatments work for some people and not others. just the same as diet works for some people and not others.

a friend of mine used to be over 300lbs and was covered head to toe with P, he lost over 150lbs and though he only has sporadic patches now, he still has P. that was back in a time when people thought it was related to weight and diet.. for me, eating a raw vegan diet started clearing my patches, yet the creams, medications and phototherapy didnt work for me in over 20 years.

professorerik, I shudder to think of all the people who have taken systemic/biologic medications at great personal expense and potential risk when they could have avoided all that by modifying their diet. As with asphyxia, I have cleared my psoriasis through dietary means ... I am now about 95% cleared. If I had listened to you or draftgirl before starting my dietary journey I would instead be on a biologic/systemic drug right now, and would continue to be on it for the rest of my life. I just hope other folks aren't listening to either of you, ... with all due respect.

draftgirl, I provided scientific data. Your statement of their being none is false. Pulling up quotes from some source saying the contrary seems silly: doing a simple Google search will bring up published papers on psoriasis and diet, most especially related to the consumption of gluten. These papers, published by academia, are real. Honest.

Oh and draftgirl, concerning NPF you should be aware that NPF sponsored two web seminars in the past couple of years focused on diet and psoriasis. The first one by Dr. Valeri Treloar, who is both a dermatologist and a nutritionist, discusses gluten and psoriasis in some detail, ... and she quotes published papers. She recommends all psoriatics to go on a 90 day gluten free diet. Not everyone will be helped, but a good measure of folks should find relief (I am paraphrasing what she said). The second web seminar was by a naturopath who suggests psoriatics do a 90 day gluten free and dairy free diet. And so although I do think NPF is certainly not pro-alternative treatments, after all they are largely funded by drug companies, it is fair to say that they are not closed minded about it.

Yet since is thread is not on the alternatives forum I won't continue to discuss this topic here. Just rest assured boys and girls, dietary changes has provided tremendous relief for many psoriatics. More and more clinical data is emerging in this area. But by all means ignore this ... at your own peril.

_Lazza

Lazza,

With all due respect I will continue to put my trust in the words of a derm who sits on the medical board for the National Psoriasis Foundation rather than rely on anecdotes from posters on a health forum.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders