What is this strange problem with my knee ?

** Originally posted by Rolacoy **

For the last two or three months I have noticed that the bone below my knee, (the Tibia) has something wrong with it. I have compared the left to the right and something is going wrong with the right one. At first I didn't think much about it, just a little swelling, I thought. Now I think different.

If I put my finger tips on both knee caps and slowly move them down, first the knee caps feel the same, the tendons from the knee cap to the big bone on the front of my right leg seem normal. As soon as I go below the tendon there is a change in my right leg bone. The left one is hard, stick out and runs don down to my shin.

Below the tendon on my right leg, there is no hard bone sticking out. For about an inch and a quarter the bone sinks back about 1/8th of an Inch. Under the skin is a soft knot about the size of a Chicken egg. It sticks out about 18th of an inch. So it is about 1/4 inch thick.

My knee does not hurt, the knot is not sore, but if I rub it very much it has a warm feeling and a very slight tingle/ pain to it. I will put an ice pack on it tonight, I have done that before and it seems to go down a little. My nest doctors appointment is on the 21st, I plan to have a serious talk and I will suggest an MRI to see what is wrong with it. Any of you have similar problem?

8 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by wkburg **

I have the same problem on my chest and wrist. On my sternum there is a huge knot. X ray really didnt show much but you can feel it and see it. Rhuemy said its just the arthritis forming a knot at the tendon where i had used it too much. Yours sounds very similar to mine but its probably worth getting it checked out.

Kyle

** Originally posted by northern_techie **

I'm not sure if its the same thing, but on my right knee I have a hard bony "knot" or something below my knee-cap. Its formed over the past couple of years so I presume it must be something to do with the arthritis. I dunno if it's normal, but if I press lightly on my knee cap, when I flex my knees I can externally feel a grinding and popping. I get this too if I flex my wrists left and right, or my ankles. Again, not sure if it's "normal", or if its the arthritis.

Definitely something that I'll ask the rheum when I have my referral though. :)

Tyler

** Originally posted by solmask **

I have something very similar on my left knee its like a nodule. My Rheumy said it was nothing to worry about as long as it didn't become really painful.

I put a cold pack on the right knee cap twice during the night. There was no change this morning. Then I went out to do some work on our motor home. I put on some knee pads that I use anytime I am going to be working on my hands & knees. After working for about an hour the knot was gone. Now that the knot is gone I can feel the bone better. the bone feels normal except that there is bone missing about 1/2 inch vertical and at least 18th inch deep across the bone. I will have it checked.

I guess what it is is fluid and it was forced out, to where I don't know. I suspect into the knee joint because it feels like there is more pressure in the knee joint. No doubt it will return when I take the pressure off my knee.

** Originally posted by mdthamd **

Well, my friend, it's called enthesitis.

Translated---it's inflammation of tendons at the insertion point to the bone.

Common problem with Psoriatic Arthritis, too.....

And, yes, that was fluid that you displaced when you were on your knees working.

The knots people are referring to are Ostephytes, which are calcifications that occur at the point of tendon damage, in some cases.

There are a number of ways to treat it when it flares as badly as yours has; first if there is fluid present, draining brings relief. Secondly, the doctor can directly inject a type of Prednisone directly into the joint. Lastly, rest and time help out a great deal.

When I had a huge flare-up several weeks ago, I could barely walk into the Rheumatologist's office, and barely move my right arm. He directly injected a long-acting numbing medicine along with the steroid into my knee...and 5 minutes later, after he finished doing the same with my elbow, I stood up, and could walk normally! After the numbing medicine wore off, though, it took a couple of days for the steroid to fully kick in, but my knee and elbow have been doing very well ever since!

Good luck!

MadDog

** Originally posted by philangst **

I have the same problem on my chest and wrist. On my sternum there is a huge knot. X ray really didnt show much but you can feel it and see it. Rhuemy said its just the arthritis forming a knot at the tendon where i had used it too much. Yours sounds very similar to mine but its probably worth getting it checked out.

Kyle

I have a similar thing going on in my chest. Like a hard bony lump which is more noticeable when I lie down. I've ignored it up to now!

Speaking of knees, fluid is very easy to displace. The lady who did my ultrasound was able move the fluid around my knee and show me on the monitor

** Originally posted by junker **

"It sticks out about 18th of an inch. So it is about 1/4 inch thick. "

Interesting math!

That was one 1/8th of an Inch, junker, sorry I typed it wrong. I went to the dr yesterday and he said that it was Bursitis in my knee and the bump is some fluid that accumulates in a little sack that God put there for that purpose. I know the problem is caused by me working in the garden on my knees. I use pads but my knees don't like to be bent that much. I will have to stay off them for a week or so,

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders