What Can Help Clear Up Psoriasis Quickly.?

Hello. My name is Kayla Marie. I am a senior and in high school and my Prom is in about 4 weeks. I really want to wear this strapless dress and i've been taking Gengraf and i've also been using Dermarest and Psoriasin. They seem to somewhat help but not really doing much. I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips.? If you do please, please, please, please let me know. I am really wanting to make my fiancee's first/last prom and my last prom the best ever.

Thanks so much.

43 replies. Join the discussion

Some Kind of light treatment I think would be your best option, or a steroid bases ointment.

Glycerin also works very quickly I found when using it on my daughters skin. It is cheap and non-toxic. You could apply up 2-3 times a day to your skin. It may take a week before you see a big difference. I saw a difference in my daughter's skin after a week of only applying it once a day. It reduces flaking and eventually lightens and then disappears. I have included the link of what worked for my daughter below.

Good luck with your clearing!

http://www.inspire.com/groups/talk-psoriasis/discussion/guttate-almost-clea red-up-photos/

and here I also discuss what we did.

http://www.inspire.com/Mudiska/journal/psoriasis-help-1/#replies

Aquafor cream you can buy it in Wallgreens lash plenty on going to bed the scales will dissapear by the morning.

Yeah Clobex which is a steroid bases ointment clears me up in about two weeks, but then breaks me out 3xs worst when I stop using it. But it's the risk I took to be clear for my wedding day! I think I might have used it longer than I should have as well. The doctor told me that was dangerous. *Shoulder shrugs*

If you drink about 1/4 cup of flax seed oil every day for a week or two, it should remove all the flakes quickly. It will either work that fast or it will never work for you. Mix it with warm water if you have to. Just be careful and don't continue with that amount for too long. It's nasty tasting enough that you'll appreciate dropping the dose to about 2 tablespoons a day. When I've seen it work for people, it's only worked for about a month at most before the flakes started to return - depends on you how fast they come back but they eventually come back. It's a shot though, and it's fast if it does work on your body.

I wonder what makes things work for some people but not others?

I suppose I should explain why that method sometimes works. It will help.

By drinking 1/4 cup, you inundate your system with the oils. Your liver does make the enzymes for breaking this down and passing the excess out through your kidneys, but it has to 'catch up' in order to have enough to break this amount of oils down. One of your backup systems takes the excess oils out through your skin pores, saturating the flesh from the inside. The flakes will slough off and leave pink soft skin that you can cover with makeup.
The reason it stops working is your liver will catch up making the enzyme in the quantity it needs and that secondary system of passing it through the skin will stop. In people that it doesn't work in, that enzyme is already present in the amount and the liver metabolizes the excess normally.

What is wrong about using glycerin Karli? My daughter cleared up with the help of glycerin in just over a month.

Hi LaLa,
If you can get a perscription for diprolene cream(expensive) I found it worked fast for me especially if I rubbed it on and wrapped the spots in saran wrap a couple hours a day!
I also always had great luck with prednisone pills....but be carefull because after years of use they caused me to go blind! But short term use will cure it quick.
I don't know if 4 weeks is enough,but everytime mine gets intolerable now I end up ordering oxipor online and knocking it down.
Good luck and remember those that love you don't see the spots and the rest don't matter!
JustSuzy

Hey Suzy what is oxipor? My steroid cream isn't working. I've never had a Breakout like I have now. Really sux.

i was wonderin where can u buy glycerin?

first of allits great that your going to the prom , everyone has good suggestions . if your skin does not clear up especially on your arms then get yourself a nice pair of lace or satin opera gloves . those are the long ones thet you see brides wearing or formal wear . they are pretty . make sure you get some tht don't itch. you may have to rinse them forst and dry , stop using fabric softner and definitley use fragrance free detergent and dye free, woolite works good.
cathy from ma

Thanks Karli. No offense taken. I realize that what may work for one person may not work for someone else. I was just asking to see if there was something that I was missing with using the glycerin on my daughter's skin.

TakeMeAsIAm, the glycerin USP can be purchased at an pharmacy. I have included a link to what they sell at CVS but you can find it pretty much everyone. I don't dilute the glycerin before applying it. I use it full strength as I find it works better.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?skuId=483707&prod uctId=483707&WT.mc_id=Shopping_Feed_Products_Google_Free_Listing

Hi karl,
Oxipor psoriasis lotion is basically alcohol and coal tar. They call it lotion but is really liquid like alcohol.....brown stinky alcohol,LOL!
BUT every single time I can't afford the perscriptions and am 75% covered and desperate it works!
I can't get it locally anymore so I buy it on ebay and get the 4 oz bottle and qtips and go to work. As I said it is stinky and brown and stings but it always works. I put it on at night and then when it dries I put psoriasin ointment or vasaline with cocoa butter on for the moisture, and then shower the scales away each morning.
I went through 4 bottles this round and now my psoriasis is hiding right below the skin wanting to come back out,but so far so good! I wore short sleeves in public yesterday!!!! It was great!!!
JustSuzy

Good for you Kayla, going to the prom is awesume. Here is what I use when I have a big public event. 120mi clobetasol+zn pyrithione cpd. AKA Skin Capsule .05%+.2% spray. You will need to get your doc to write a rx and find a compound pharmacy. Also sun light the outdoors kind and lots of sleep. Good Luck and have fun.

Justsuzy,
Reading your advice to Kayla is a delight. I love your spirit as well as your good advice. The response to her is simply wonderful. We all see ourselves in her place. I hope you do not mind if I also try your prototocal for P outbreaks now and again. Thank you for your response.

Hi Kayla Marie, for a quick clear up, my Derm prescribed Methotrexate and I agree with Neardark with topical steroids and a light treatment/tanning booth will work wonders. Have a great time!!!!

Hi katla,
I also should mention if using ointment and/or creams a derm years ago suggested wrapping up with saran wrap after applying.
At a few times in my life I looked like a mummy all wrapped from head to toes,lol,but it works! If your worse spots are on your legs or arms or torso and you can stand it just otc cortisone cream or vasaline all wrapped up a couple hours till ya can't take it anymore really helps me because it softens the scabs so then the meds can get in.
Of course everyones different and so is what works.
Blessings,
JustSuzy

Girl, when my skin needs to be cleared I usually take these tiny steroid pills that are called MethylPREDNISolone Tablets from Cadista that were prescribed to my by my doctor. Also I use a lotion prescribed to me called Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream it's in a pink tube and it's awesome :) I hope you look fab at prom ;)

i use gold bond ointment healing lotion

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders