Washing hair and scalp P

** Originally posted by rubee **

I'm just wondering about the frequency of hair washes I should do a week.
Is it bad to wash daily? or good? I have no idea about this.
I washed my hair everyday, but a few hours after washing it, my P would get really amazingly itchy.
So now I wash every second day. It gets itchy and flaky and what have you as well.
Or does it really not make a difference?
Haven't had scalp P for very long. Well, not to this extent anyway.

9 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by stametst **

I'm just wondering about the frequency of hair washes I should do a week.
Is it bad to wash daily? or good? I have no idea about this.
I washed my hair everyday, but a few hours after washing it, my P would get really amazingly itchy.
So now I wash every second day. It gets itchy and flaky and what have you as well.
Or does it really not make a difference?
Haven't had scalp P for very long. Well, not to this extent anyway.

Hi Rubee,

I guess I am the member that goes to the doctor more often than anyone but I have so many disabilities.

Have you been to the dermatologist? You may need a prescribed shampoo I don't want to give you wrong information. I see a lot of people on this board for scalp psoriasis they use Head and Shoulders, T-Gel, Dove Shampoo. Before buying these products I would talk with the doctor first. If you have never tried them or if you have open wounds in your scalp I can only imagine it will burn.

I am sorry I am not much help with scalp psoriasis; I am grateful to say I don't have scalp psoriasis.

I hope this note will help but I am sure there will be others that will be more knowledgeable on this matter.

** Originally posted by rubee **

Hey, I went to a derm yeeaarrrs ago. I sort of stopped going.
I spoke to the GP about what kind of shampoos I should be using.
I've tried Head and Shoulders, Dove, T-Gel, Nizoral, and some other tar shampoo.
They don't seem to work for me, weird. Nothing's working.

** Originally posted by stametst **

Hey, I went to a derm yeeaarrrs ago. I sort of stopped going.
I spoke to the GP about what kind of shampoos I should be using.
I've tried Head and Shoulders, Dove, T-Gel, Nizoral, and some other tar shampoo.
They don't seem to work for me, weird. Nothing's working.

I will try to remember to ask my dermatologist this week. Perhaps she can give me some suggestions. I think Aveeno Products has a shampoo have you tried that?

** Originally posted by beautifulxmistake **

You could try a leave in conditioner.
That might make your scalp less itchy.
Just a thought. =]

** Originally posted by kaitlinmarie35 **

Give the derm another shot and ask for some Derma-Smoothe scalp oil (search it here on the board...awesome threads about it).

I have really severe scalp psoriasis and it was recommended to me, by my derm, to shampoo everyday. It helps to soften the scale so that it is easier to remove. I also use the Derma-Smoothe everyday and it keeps my scalp from becoming itchy and flaky within hours of getting out of the shower. Before the DS, I would literally have thick scales within probably 2-3 hours of taking a shower and washing with a medicated shampoo, I can now go about 2 days without it.

Give it a shot, it has been a God send for me.

Good luck.

** Originally posted by cdiggs08 **

This is my first time posting to this board, but I'm right there with you. I've only had psoriasis for a few months and it's getting worse and worse. It started really bad in my scalp and spread to my neck. I have used head and shoulders, t-gel and Tea Tree Oil shampoo. None of them have really worked for me, and when I'm washing my hair, my head starts itching worse! I don't have insurance right now, it doesn't kick in until January so I haven't been to the doc yet either, but I bought Dermarest shampoo and it helped a little with the itching and a little with the scaling. Maybe try that? It used to be prescription from what I understand but just now became available over the counter and it is about the same price as the others. I got mine at walmart for about $6. Good luck, it's not fun in the scalp! Mine just flakes and looks like horrible dandruff but it's much more painful :(

** Originally posted by stargirlsangelle **

I've found that the only thing that helps with my scaling is washing my hair everyday... I use the dermarest psoriasis shampoo because it has the salicylic and zinc in it for the scaling. I would also try taking a antihistamine... zyrtec really helps my itching stay under control. And the new head and shoulders conditioner is pretty amazing too!
-elle

** Originally posted by aummie **

I haven't been to the derm in a while but I also have scalp p. It is pretty much aweful.
Everyone assumes you are just dirty and nasty and don't wash your hair.
My scalp is ALWAYS ichy.

My derm said that it's better for me to wash every 2-3 days. I had tried t-gel, head&shoulders and selsum blue. They all ended up irritating my scalp and making it worse. My derm suggested using T-Sal. It seems to be fairly helpful in making it lighter but no matter what it iches and burns in the shower.
I can't find anything to soothe it.

I have the derma smooth stuff.. It never did a lot for me.
It felt better while it was still on my scalp, (but i assume putting any kind of oil like that on my scalp would make it feel better..) but as soon as I washed it off my scalp was iching again.
Thick and flakey scales. ALL THE TIME.

sorry. It's my first post. and it's nice to see other fairly young people with it.
I've only met a few people with it. and they were mostly over the age of 60.

** Originally posted by oliviam7 **

Hey im 14 and also have p on the scalp. I went to the derm and he prescribed a shampoo for me called clobex. I use it everyday (since its winter) and it makes the itch and flake go away. ASk ur derm about Clobex!!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders