Vitamin D Deficiency

** Originally posted by mccolrj **

Has any one else found that they have a vitamin D deficiency? I just started Methotrexate 3 weeks ago and when I went in for my first blood test they said I was low in Vitamin D and put me on a prescription strength dose that I take once a week.

After reading about vitamin D deficnecy on the web I am finding there is a correlation with this and autoimmune diseases. I have 3 different autommune diseases (psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis and Hashimoto's).

Some of the same sympltoms of psoriatic arthritis are also with a vitamin D deficiency, such as fatigue, aches, muscle weakness, etc.

6 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by stametst **

Has any one else found that they have a vitamin D deficiency? I just started Methotrexate 3 weeks ago and when I went in for my first blood test they said I was low in Vitamin D and put me on a prescription strength dose that I take once a week.

After reading about vitamin D deficnecy on the web I am finding there is a correlation with this and autoimmune diseases. I have 3 different autommune diseases (psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis and Hashimoto's).

Some of the same sympltoms of psoriatic arthritis are also with a vitamin D deficiency, such as fatigue, aches, muscle weakness, etc.

Dear Mccolrj,

I am very low on Vitamin D and have Hashimoto's Disease, Vitiligo & Osteoarthritis. I think autoimmune disorders tend to run through families, I am not saying each thing I listed above a family member had because they did not. My mother had a thyroid problem & she had vitiligo. My brother had vitiligo and my other brother had asthma.

I did not think of them causing a person to be Vitamin D. deficient but anything is possible. I know I am very low on Vitamin D; they give me 50,000 units of vitamin D a week.

I hope you will get better over time. Let me know how you are doing!

** Originally posted by mccolrj **

Thanks. I hope the vitamin d will at least help with my energy and fatigue problems. I drag around most of the time and stay depressed because of it. I am taking armour thyroid for the hashimotos but am still tired. I also have a lot of inflammation from the PA which could cause fatigue as well. It is all a mystery!

** Originally posted by jumpingbean **

I was tested and have very low, nearly non-existant vitamin D levels. I am currently taking 5000 I.U.'s of vitamin D3 every day. When I run out, my naturopathic doc told me to take 1000 I.U's to maintain my levels. Two things I've noticed since taking the mega doses of D3: I'm not as tired and my immune system seems to be better. I teach preschool and spent nearly all of last year sick. Now I'm the only teacher at the school who is not sick. I am hyperthyroid so I have some other auto-immune issues besides psoriasis but I swear I feel better and it seems to coincide with taking the vitamin D. It's certainly worth looking into. My doc said that most people are severely deficient and it can really lower your immunity.

Thanks. I hope the vitamin d will at least help with my energy and fatigue problems. I drag around most of the time and stay depressed because of it. I am taking armour thyroid for the hashimotos but am still tired. I also have a lot of inflammation from the PA which could cause fatigue as well. It is all a mystery!

I have never heard of the Armour medicine; does it help at all for the Hashimoto's Disease?
I have been unemployed since March, and have not had any real good health insurance, so I was wondering if it helps with that autoimmune disorder? I have so many different disabilities, I do not think I have PsA. Does a person get that after they get psoriasis?

I am sorry you are not well and will keep you in my prayers. Hope you will start to feel better.

I was tested and have very low, nearly non-existant vitamin D levels. I am currently taking 5000 I.U.'s of vitamin D3 every day. When I run out, my naturopathic doc told me to take 1000 I.U's to maintain my levels. Two things I've noticed since taking the mega doses of D3: I'm not as tired and my immune system seems to be better. I teach preschool and spent nearly all of last year sick. Now I'm the only teacher at the school who is not sick. I am hyperthyroid so I have some other auto-immune issues besides psoriasis but I swear I feel better and it seems to coincide with taking the vitamin D. It's certainly worth looking into. My doc said that most people are severely deficient and it can really lower your immunity.

Hi Jumpingbean:

I know what you mean about the vitamin D. When I went to the doctor she said I did not have really any vitamin D to speak of. They have me on Vitamin D 50,000 units per week. I am hypothyroid and I have Hashimoto's Disease as well.

Since you have psoriasis, does the psoriasis make you tired? Sometimes I am so tired but I am also on different medicines for different things.

Another question how is your B-12? I believe mine is low but I am not certain. Not having enough B-12 can that also make a person tired?

** Originally posted by ktdogs6 **

The only way you can know if your B-12 level is insufficient is to have your level checked.

If you have psoriasis, your autoimmune system is in high gear, so it makes sense one might feel fatigued. That's because your immune system is constantly fighting with
"supposed" opponents within your immune system.

I have found the fatigue waxes and wanes, though. The more I am out in the sun working in the yard, the more energy I have. That may be because my body makes he appropriate amount of vitamin D when I am out in the sun, and the exercise, itself, may help.

I'm not currently on vitamin D3, but I'm going to get some tomorrow. Fall and winter are coming, so I think it is really necessary to supplement during those months. Fish oil and flaxseed oil capsules probably help, also.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders