Uric Acid and psoriasis

I had a gout attack about 6 months before I noticed my Psoriasis starting.
This is to draw attention to some information I stumbled across awhile back that had very little response. After about a week I deleted the discussion. There was some interest expressed again this morning.
Originally, I had done a search of ' Uric Acid + Psoriasis '.
Type it in, see what you think.
What interested me was;
----- 5% to 8% of people have high Uric Acid.
----- people with Psoriasis have 20% to 30% higher Uric Acid in their blood serum than people without Psoriasis.
----- Uric Acid may extend the life span of people with Psoriasis.
So, If anyone is interested in sharing their thoughts on how UA has effected them pertaining to P or don't believe it does anything.
Join in, let's see what we can learn good or bad. :-) :-(

31 replies. Join the discussion

To Hkrysth,
My understanding is mushrooms raise the UR in the system.
Prednisone is what I was prescribed for the gout attack, It helped very quickly.

I am researching something similar to this at the moment, in the sense that my body does not process oxalic acid from foods properly, bonds it to calcium, and then converts it into calcium oxalate which crystalizes and causes a possibility of many issues...one of which can be joint pain. I have P & PsA but am also suffering from Vulvar Vestibulitis now. It has been recommended to me to try eating a low oxalate diet, which I've now been doing since September 15. Obviously, I'm hoping this is the answer to the VVS, but am also curious to see if this will have any effect on my joint pain with the PsA. I'll keep you posted.

I know this isn't the same thing, but similar in the fact that our bodies are taking an acid and making it crystalize and cause problems in our joints.

Interesting, no one from my family or immensly extended family has
psoriasis. although my dad does have over-the-counter (shampoo)
dandruff and gout. I don't have gout but once in a while do get gout-like pain on my toes.

I know someone on the UK forum who has both PA and gout. The gout interestingly responds to 500-1000 mg of vitamin C.

Be careful about the pain in your toes, the uric acid crystals will build up and each attack will be worse.
It may be a good idea to at least talk to your doctor about it next visit.

My dad had high UA and Gout. I have high UA, GP and no Gout so far. My GP claims that the high UA is because of the high cellular turn over due to the over active immune system in P.

Meli,
Please do keep us updated, it appears no one knows what pertains to psoriasis as everyone reacts differently.

Some people do have elevated Uric Acid and have never had Gout.
I have read that before, but never have seen anything that explains why.
So, did your GP have any thoughts as to lowering the UA to help the psoriasis?

Hawwa,
That's interesting.
I used to take extra vit c to help with pain in my shoulder.
Do you know if it helps the PsA as gout is a form of arthritis?

No I don't think it helps PsA unfortunately, it is quite specific to gout.

weavy, I had gout many years before my first P flare, I believe stress is what caused my P flare. Since I have had gout all those years, but no PI don't think there is a connection between them, but that is only my case, if yo stay online here a few months you will notice that everyone has a different trigger, for some it can be very difficult,such as Gluten, I started eating a Vegan diet in 2007 to stop the vascular surgeon from buying a new boat, he still gives me strange looks if we happen to pass each other at the hospital in a hallway.He still can't accept that for some of us a vegan diet will clear clogged arteries, I don't know for sure that it works for everyone.

I had a nutritionist whose husband had gout and she helped me the most by telling me that her husband ,when he feels a gout attack beginning, drinks 3 liters of tap water, I have used this many times when on vacation in the Mediterranean area as the heat tends to dry me out rather quickly. Glad I'm no longer living in Texas! A relative of mine in Texas with gout uses a teaspoon of Baking Soda[sodium bicarbonate]in water and says that stops the gout effectively as well.

Weavy, do you have PsA?
And I can't remember if you had your uric acid level checked, and if it is high do you take allopurinol to decrease uric acid?
Have you had more gout attacks?

Hawwa,
Don't have Psa as far as I know. Do have aches & pains I associate with getting older and from several old injuries.
My UA was high at the time of the attack, the dr prescribed prednisone which helped right away, then allopurinol for 2 - 3 weeks.
I did have another attack some time later and was give 8 prednisone tablets.
The dr said if I have another attack he will check the UA level and probably put me on meds to control it.
My understanding is once their is an attack, there will be more. Just a matter of time.
I avoid chocolate and soda pop. Those were two things I had in excess before both attacks. No gout since.
Thanks for asking.

Just thought I would check with folks to see if they had any association with Uric Acid and their Psoriasis.
I think there are some type of self test kits out now for Uric Acid.
Has anyone ever seen them or tried them?

Thanks weavy, I didn't know there were self test kits for uric acid! I would definitely get one if I knew where, as I am very curious to know whether my uric acid is elevated.

Hawwa,
I found this meter while searching, appears to be sold in the UK. Don't know if it would be reliable or not.
Maybe someone can share some info.

http://www.uricacidmeter.com/?gclid=CN6Gm9KgwasCFZAs7Aod_z21vw

I would be curious as to whether uric acid levels rise when psoriasis flares or PsA pain is raised or lowered in relation to UA.
High UA can contribute to some types of kidney stones.

More info sharing.
My doctor prescribed Prednisone for me after I had a gout attack. It did seem to help.
Little did I know.

People with psoriasis should not take Prednisone or other steroids by mouth. Nor should patients with psoriasis have shots of cortisone. These medicines temporarily improve psoriasis but when stopped can lead to severe flares of this condition.

http://www.skinsite.com/info_psoriasis.htm

Maybe this will help someone.

Weavy: I'm fairly certain that my UA goes normal once I get NB-UVB treatments. IOW the GP is the cause of the high UA. My general practitioner said that UA increases when there is a large cellular turn over in the body (P at work!). I have this hunch or gut feeling that P is a viral or bacterial infection. Those of us with it are just more genetically prone to catching it. My dad had stomach ulcers in his early years and they were attributed to stress. Today we all know that stomach acids are due to a specific type of bacterial infection. And there are those of us who are genetically more prone to hosting this type of bacteria. I know I'm going off topic here but I get really annoyed when people are led to believe that their disease (P) is their fault by way of "being stressed". To me it sounds like a cop out. I think that someday they will find the underlying reason for P and cure it and we are all left thinking how easy it was.

Photon,
I'll have my next blood test in about a week, going to request the derm have UA tested also.
Currently, only healing still needed is my toes. Hopefully the trend will continue.
Maybe this will give me a reading of what's normal at least for me.
I'll add the info here when I get it.
As far as going off topic, I'm beginning to think there is no such thing where psoriasis is concerned. ;-)

Thanks to everyone for the input and questions. If you have more, join in.

I have severe psoriasis and sometime get both psoriatic arthritis and gout attacks. The psoriatic arthritis isn't too bad and I can take the pain pretty well, but gout is really painful. I've found a very effective treatment though. The treatment is baking soda and water with fresh lime juice. The lime juice is necessary to create the chemical reaction and fizzing, and lemon juice doesn't seem to work in my experience. Eating a diet low in purines and eating fresh cherries also helps. But the lime juice/baking soda mix has been pretty much a cure for me. It doesn't do much for the psoriasis though.

I think photon is correct that the cell turnover is what causes the increase in uric acid. When I was on Humira and 90% clear, I never got gout or arthritis attacks. I thought photons theory that psoriasis was caused by a bacteria or virus was interesting. The theory I support is that people with psoriasis have an overly acidic body (meaning there are too many H+ protons in the body). This acidic environment allows candida yeasts, bacteria, and viruses to thrive, which causes the immune system to go into overdrive. I'm not sure what caused the body to become acidic, maybe a genetic mutation in food processing. This is just a theory that I've heard but support based on my experiences.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders