TURMERIC!

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

Here is another article I happened upon....it is very thought provoking...we have discussed this spice often but it always good for a rerun!
You might even want to try making your own cream using turmeric! here is a blurb I took from the article...

Dr. Madalene Heng, a Ventura County-based dermatologist, is already marketing a curcumin-based product. She has developed Psoria-Gold, a topical ointment that she says will treat psoriasis, acne and rosacea. A 6-ounce vial costs $89.95, but Heng says the cream is so potent even in small doses that it will last six months. One treatment for psoriasis will make the skin disease disappear, Heng claims.

And, she says, it will even smooth away wrinkles.

http://www.bri.ucla.edu/bri_weekly/news_060206.asp

53 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Dulane **

Hmmm....I wonder how the herb would mix with cosmetic clay?

Now I have a new experiment to try! I still have nearly a pound of the spice.
:)

** Originally posted by Margueratt **

I bought some tumeric so that I can add it to my diet, but haven't figured out yet how to cook with it. I made a lentil, garlic, onion recipe that has only 1/2 tsp. in it. It wasn't very good. How much tumeric does a person need to eat? Anyone have any recipes with tumeric in them?

I found there aren't too many recipes out there for turmeric (unless you want to eat it everyday................... :eek:
this is where I get mine

http://tinyurl.com/enf7p

I get the curcumin with bioperine

here is a bit about bioperine

http://www.nutriline.org/bioperine.htm

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Hi Margueratt,

I know that tumeric is used extensively in the cuisines of countries like India, Packistan and Morocco. Some people find these cuisines to be a little too exotic, but I happen to enjoy them very much. I don't do that much cooking these days ( ever since the psoriasis spread to my hands ) and most of the recipes that I have probably include foods that you're trying to avoid. That being said, I just did a quick search and came up with a recipe for Moroccan chicken that sounds interesting. Here's a copy of it ( it came from a spice company's website ):

Moroccan Spice Braised Chicken with Dates and Almonds

1/2 pounds chicken parts
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, halved, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cumin
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Ginger
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Turmeric
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup pitted and quartered dates, (about 6 ounces)
1/3 cup whole blanched almonds

1.Coat chicken with flour. Heat oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add half of the chicken; brown about 5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet. Repeat browning step with remaining chicken, adding onion. Return all chicken to skillet.
2. Combine cinnamon, cumin, ginger, and turmeric in a small bowl; add to chicken. Stir to evenly coat chicken and onions with spices; sauté 1-2 minutes.

3. Stir in broth, lemon juice and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in dates and almonds and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Source: http://www.mccormick.com/recipedetail.cfm?id=613.

I would probably make my own chicken broth. Canned broth is too salty for my taste.

I would think that you would have to eat a lot of tumeric to get any benefit from it, but with the right recipes you might be able cook with it (and enjoy it) on a regular basis.

In the days before the psoriasis spread to my hands, I frequently tried new recipes by borrowing cookbooks from the library.

I hope this helps.

Mike

** Originally posted by screech **

tumeric is often used in Rice dishes mostly as a coloring but a little goes along way. I'm not sure how much it takes to be benificial. It's often considered a poor mans Safron with a much milder flavor.

** Originally posted by TheOne1313 **

So has anyone tried this..........and has it helped with their p?

** Originally posted by ct69646 **

^ I took it 500mg twice a day and it didn't help a bit.

My mother read an article about it's benefits. I tried it. Made me feel hopeless like every other wonder drug or solution does. You can try it, but it didn't work for me.

MikeK, thanks for the recipe...I'll modify it a little and try it...even if the tumeric doesn't do any good, I'm looking forward to try a new recipe for chicken! You're probably right in that I'd have to eat a lot of it to do any good. I've never eaten East Indian food, so don't know if I'd like it. Thanks again..

** Originally posted by MikeK **

You're welcome, Margueratt!

I hope you like it. As I mentioned in my previous response, some people find the cuisines from that part of the world to be a little too exotic for their taste, but I enjoy it very much.

Mike

Sounds like some good cookin' but if you want to give curcumin a shot at helping the psoriasis...it's best to take by capsule ...this way you get it every day not just when you cook with turmeric :D

here are a couple articles that I found in doing some research.....since reading these articles I have upped my dose from taking when I think about to taking it several times a day!! some serious good things are happening with this spice!

these two show the research being done:

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/news/story.asp?newsId=540

http://www.bri.ucla.edu/bri_weekly/news_060206.asp

here is one place that sells it:

http://tinyurl.com/enf7p

you can go to google.com (a search engine) and put in "curcumin psoriasis"
for more info.....

Thanks Sally, I printed out your links and am taking them to my natur... I think that the capsules sound like a good idea...much appreciated..

** Originally posted by camc356 **

Its really gross, but every night I make a mixture of raw garlic, raw ginger, turmeric, and cayenne pepper--add it to some juice and drink it. These items supposed to be really good for P and other auto immune disorders. I drink them because I feel that I wasnt able to physically eat enough on a daily basis. I have discussed this with my naturopath and he says that this is ok to do. Like I said--its really gross, but if it helps.......

once again... go ahead and try it but it most likely wont. I took the capsules, 500mg twice a day and it did nothing.

I just don't want everyone to get their hopes up like I did and then get no results.....

I got clear of P using Dr Pagano's diet and lots of his techniques from his book.....but one thing I could not clear was the scalp P....I mentioned this through out all my threads.......I was so disappointed...tried everyones handy hints from vinegar to olive oil and then some..........

I gave myself a permanent about a month ago and I noticed the scalp P seemed less!
So I thought well maybe a permanent more often would help!! :cool:

In the meantime I noticed it starting to get bad again but figured it's a little soon for another perm....and I still had curl....

After I read the articles posted on turmeric I started researching more...came across a woman that told about her daughter getting her scalp P clear taking the turmeric (curcumin)...so I upped mine like I said in above posts from every so often to 2 caps 3 x a day.......
what I take are "curcumin complex" 900 mgs...I get them at Swansons Vitamins on line....
I'm not claiming complete success yet, but I am seeing a difference :D
It may not work for everyone but all the research looks promising for some of us with this mighty little herb. Including regular psoriasis!!!

I had tried so many topical treatments that I finally realized for me it has to be from within to get this scalp cleared........we'll see!

Sally, I'm curious as to how long you've been taking the tumeric capsules...I've learned that one must be patient in natural healing...if you are seeing an improvement...that's a very good thing :).

Hi Margueratt....I am clear from Pagano's regimen....... what I'm working on now is the curcumin for the scalp...I did not take curcumin while I was on Pagano simply because I had never heard of it helping P... it was after I was cleared that an article appeared about it helping the P...
so now I figure I'll try the higher potency of curcumin (higher than turmeric) and see if that helps...I started just about a week ago ...ran out Sunday but got my order today from Swanson's so I'm back on...I ordered two bottles this time I hate to run out!
Right now I am sitting at the 'puter with peanut oil all over my head! and a 400 year old complexion formula, on my face...... I picked it up from another alternative forum :D

Good luck with your regimen...last night I cooked for the first time with tumeric, chicken and brown rice...delicious, but it dyed my beautiful rice cooker a yellow colour!

Below is a copy of the article my mother sent me about turmeric. It could work for you.

"Indian Spice Clears Scalp Psoriasis
Newspaper Columns, Herb & Home Remedy Q&A May 13, 2005

Q. Have you ever heard of any remedies for psoriasis? So far nothing that the doctor prescribed has worked.

A. Psoriasis is a condition in which skin cells turn over too quickly, causing flakes and redness. There are many prescription drugs for the condition, but simple approaches like sun exposure sometimes help.

One reader had good results with turmeric: "I read about turmeric for treating psoriasis, so I tried it. Various shampoos, conditioners and topical solutions suggested by my doctor and then a dermatologist didn't work. Most of those were smelly, inconvenient and expensive. But that would not have mattered had they helped my problem.

"My scalp was itchy and I had flakes everywhere, even my seatbelt. On the last visit to my doctor he said I just needed to be diligent with the treatments--the psoriasis would never truly go away.

"Not so! The turmeric worked wonders for me. I first tried spoonfuls of it, but that got old fast. I switched to capsules, taking one (453 mg) twice daily. After less than a month my scalp cleared up.

"I still take one capsule a day, and I can once again wear black. That had been out of the question for a long time."

Turmeric has anti-inflammatory action and preliminary studies suggest that it may be helpful against psoriasis. Some people experience digestive upset from this Indian spice.

Q. I am an active healthy woman. I've recently begun having unexplained muscle aches and joint pains, and I can't figure out why. I take diltiazem for blood pressure and Mevacor to control cholesterol and triglycerides.

My neck hurts, my shoulders hurt, and when I sit for a while and try to get up, I feel achy. Could Mevacor being doing this? If so, are there any less expensive alternatives I could talk over with my doctor?

A. Some people do experience muscle aches or joint pain while taking statin-type medications such as Mevacor (lovastatin), Crestor (rosuvastatin), Lipitor (atorvastatin) and Zocor (simvastatin). Please discuss these symptoms with your physician.

You may want to talk to him about a soluble fiber such as psyllium, which can lower cholesterol a little bit. Niacin, fish oil and drugs like cholestyramine or gemfibrozil may also help.

We are sending you our Guide to Cholesterol and Heart health with more details on such approaches. Anyone who would like a copy, please send $2 in check or money order with a long (no. 10) stamped, self-addressed envelope: Graedons' People's Pharmacy, No. C-8, P. O. Box 52027, Durham, NC 27717-2027.

Q. Do alcohol gel hand cleaners disinfect hands better than soap and water hand washing? What about antibacterial liquid soaps?

A. The most comprehensive study of hand washing (American Journal of Infectious Control, March, 2005) shows that old-fashioned soap and water is best for ridding hands of viruses. Antimicrobial soap and water works well against bacteria. If soap and water are not available, alcohol gel will do in a pinch.

Q. I occasionally take multi-vitamins. Whenever I do, my urine becomes very bright yellow, almost fluorescent. When I stop taking the vitamins, it goes back to its usual pale yellow. Could it be that the vitamins are not doing me any good?

A. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) is a fluorescent yellow compound that shows up in urine. This is normal and does not mean the nutrient is being wasted.

Joe Graedon is a pharmacologist. Teresa Graedon holds a doctorate in medical anthropology and is a nutrition expert. Their syndicated radio show can be heard on public radio. In their column, Joe and Teresa Graedon answer letters from readers. Write to them in care of this newspaper or e-mail them via their Web site: http://www.PeoplesPharmacy.com.

© 2005 King Features Syndicate, Inc."

http://www.peoplespharmacy.org/archives/herb_home_remedy_qa/indian_spice_cl ears_scalp_psoriasis.asp

** Originally posted by Dulane **

Thanks for the post!

Plus you answered that age old question I've had about why the florescent P color!
:D

The people's Pharmacy is a great site....I went all over the place visiting :D
Tomorrow I'm going back and read ...now I'm going to bedzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders