Tincture of Iodine

** Originally posted by pictorex **

The reason psoriasis is considered to be somewhat but not actually curable is because its true cause is not understood. Prof. Tullio Simonicini has concluded that the cause of psoriasis is a fungus and found that it responds to treatment with tincture of iodine. I have had chronic psoriasis on my elbows, upper arms and lower legs for more than twenty years. At times I could not even go to public swimming pools because the condition was so unsightly. I started applying tincture of iodine on 2. January 2009 and the condition was basically cured within ten days. Of course, it takes somewhat longer for the skin to recover completely. I applied the tincture multiple times a day for four to five days, until the surface of the skin peeled off, revealing healthy, psoriais-free skin underneath; one must be careful in letting it peel by itself and not force the peeling. A long bath will help the peeling process without causing damage to healthy skin. In some isolated spots the fungus may not be killed completely with the first treatment. In such a case wait about a week before reapplying the treatment. By all indications this is a permanent cure. This is the first time in over twenty years that I have been entirely psoriasis-free. One last remark: you need to use the classic old-fashioned tincture of iodine that dyes your skin deep purple. Iodine povidone solution is not effective at all.

166 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by szorzi **

Make up your mind - is it curable or not?

** Originally posted by Sunnysideup **

Its worth a try! Where can you buy this type of iodine? Can it be used on the scalp?

Warnings from the Material Safety Data Sheet:

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/i2682.htm

Skin Contact:

Ethyl Alcohol Component: May cause skin discoloration with irritation. Irritating due to defatting action on skin. Causes redness, pain, drying and cracking of the skin.

Iodine Component: Contact may cause blistering burns, irritation, and pain. Vapors may be severely irritating to the skin.

Chronic Exposure:

Ethyl Alcohol Component: Prolonged contact may cause skin discoloration. May cause drying cracking, and dermatitis. Ethanol may cause reproductive effects such as birth defects, developmental problems and may damage the reproductive system. Repeated high exposure may damage the liver, nervous system and blood cells.

Iodine Component: Chronic exposure to iodine may cause insomnia, conjunctivitis, inflammation of the nasal mucous, bronchitis, tremor, rapid heart beat, diarrhea and weight loss. Allergic sensitization may occur. Chronic iodine overdoses have produced iodism. Headache, fever, sneezing, salivation, and skin rashes may occur.

Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:

Persons with pre-existing skin disorders, eye problems, impaired respiratory function, or disease of the thyroid, lungs, or kidney may be more susceptible to the effects of the substance.

** Originally posted by Panicdude **

omg after reading that safety data sheet. this stuff looks like it will peel the skin right off. pictorex any comments on this so called use of tincture of iodine?

** Originally posted by bjmacc **

Thats why it says poison on the bottle..one small bottle, 30ml is enough to be fatal to a child

a drop of two in drinking water is safe...but if a small bottle gets into the wrong hands...

so watch out...

If this is a supposed cure for Psoriasis why doesn't everyone know about it. It sounds dangerous and unhealthy!

Kind of scary that they wash your skin in this before surgery!

** Originally posted by stewartintheUK **

Hya

Dont discount that italian doctor guys he has had excellent rresults with cancer (he's been on mercola's site etc). Ive heard from several people who've tried it that iodine kills of the psoriasis very quickly once you get down to the lowest layer of lesions. Iodine sadly is almost impossible to get hold of here in the UK. As for its side effects, i dont think its any worse than steroids and seems to be only for short term use. Just needs to be used carefully.

mercola?...he's a chiropractor quack too...IMHO

from mercolas own site...

QUOTE "For example, Dr Simoncini's experience has shown that 99% of Breast and Bladder cancer can heal in just six days, entirely without the use of surgery chemo or radiation, using just a local infiltration device (such as a catheter) to deliver the sodium bicarbonate directly to the infected site in your breast tissue or bladder." endquote.

and Mercola goes on to say what a brilliant misunderstood doctor Simoncini is...rubbish!

He says that he can heal 99% of all breast cancer in six days??.......... Does anyone seriously believe that all the scientists, surgeons and oncologists wouldn't want a simple successful treatment such as that?......

and we are to believe that a poison like iodine will clear psoriasis??...you better think twice and ask a doctor before trying it.

It always suprises me when people visit an alternative board and then attack some ideas. I agree that iodine has to be used carefully but so do steroids, MTX in the liver isnt ideal either ! As for mercola, being a chiropractor doesnt make him a quack, he is a doctor. They have a video that shows the tumours shrinking so its quite interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJMfrV43ku4&feature=related
He only recommends iodine for psoriasis because the sodium bicarboonatre cannot penetrate the dermal layers.

As for western mdeicine ignoring often obvious treatments then yes im sorry i do think that happens a HELL of a lot.

** Originally posted by Panicdude **

So is it safe to use on skin? I have read on some websites people applying it to skin for some sort of test, can't remember what it was for. And for the side effects, I read they were very rare but it didn't seem anything too awful.

alternative was never a synonym foolhardy, risky or dangerous

And IMHO means in my honest opinion which i have every right to..Does anyone seriously believe that all the oncologists and surgeons in the world would turn a blind eye to any one or treatment that had a breast cancer cure rate of 99% in six days! ...as if some giant health care conspiracy? I think the guy is a nut and if he agrees with 99% healing of all breast and bladder cancer with sodium bicarbonate..he is a quack

Doses of 30-250 ml of tincture of iodine (about 16-130 mg of total iodine
per kg of body weight) have been reported to be fatal.all 'tincture of iodine' bottles are
clearly marked "POISON" for a very good reason. The very small bottle is enough to be fatal

i could easily see a scenario where some unsuspecting teen or unknowing adult trying to fix their psoriasis would leave the small bottle on the vanity and a small child getting into it...

so i repeat...watch it if there are kids around..and ask a doctor if it makes sense and at the very least read about it

http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/pharm/iodine.htm#SubSectionTitle:9.2.3 %20Skin%20exposure

** Originally posted by Brandi **

*rolls eyes*

If the medical and pharmaceutical industries weren't greedy b*st*rds then it would be a heck of a lot easier to believe they always had good intentions.

For cripes sakes, you're not suposed to drink the iodine, you're supposed to put it on your skin. If it was that bad we'd all be dead by now, back in the old days that's practically all they had and it was used ALOT! Sheesh, you guys get upset over everything that's not prescribed. *rolls eyes again*

Sheesh, you guys get upset over everything that's not prescribed. *rolls eyes again*

Brandi, I'm not sure who you mean by "you guys" but I don't think posting the published warnings for use of a substance is in any way inappropriate.

Many of the things I see recommended on the CAM area don't even have any published data, and people just assume they're safe to take or use because the people pushing them aren't required by law to publish it. If things haven't been tested, it doesn't mean they are safe. If things are not regulated, you can't assume no one has suffered ill effects or died from it. They're just not required to track it or to report it if it's not a "drug."

In the rare case where such a list of side effects, etc. exists - I think it's good for people to see it. Everyone should be as concerned about the risks associated with CAM treatments as they are about traditional or pharmaceutical treatments, shouldn't they?

By the way, both BJ and I have tried many CAM treatments. So far I've not had any luck with any of them. That's why I follow this forum. BJ, I'm sure you know, is very much into using a formula of supplements, etc. for P. The difference between us and some people, though, is that we don't do it blindly. We pay attention to any published warnings, for example.

Brandi, its obvious you didn't read the link...

intact skin

Irritant contact dermatitis caused by povidone-iodine
has been reported, (Okano, 1989). Liberal application
of the tincture or povidone-iodine to the skin resulted
in significant plasma and urine iodine levels and may
cause systemic iodine toxicity (Luckhardt et al., 1920;
Smerdely et al., 1989; Pyati et al., 1977; Chabrolle &
Rossier, 1978; Coakley et al., 1989; L'Allemand et al.,
1987; Dantzigen et al., 1987; Schoenberger & Grim,
1982).

Injured skin (one could assume psoriasis is injured skin)

Continuous postoperative wound irrigation with
povidone-iodine resulted in death of a patient. Toxic
manifestations of systemic iodine absorption appeared
to cause the death, (D'Auria et al., 1990; Glick et
al., 1985).

In ones wildest imagination, could one possibly envision some poor soul covering his or her plaques with this stuff for days hoping for some relief only to find they are being poisoned by it..The occasional use as in the good old days for a cut or sliver or to eliminate microbes before surgery is not what i am talking about.

I am concerned about a desperate attempt by a vulnerable reader to find some relief by covering large lesions with iodine or a child getting into it. I do believe in a few alternatives or as they get accepted ..CAM. and i don't not know if iodine helps or not but from his other beliefs i have to question it....as Szorzi suggests, use some caution and research..and not just because something is natural or suggested on a forum...do some careful research.....and ask a doctor if there is doubt...he may not believe something will work and poo poo it as internet babble.....but at least he will tell you of any known risks. I feel this way about any CAM or prescribed medicine ..look before you leap.

bj is certainly right, it has to be used carefully and really under supervision. But i think the italian doc says that himself. The same should be said for steroids which also cause irreversible damage and toxicity yet are prescribed by gp's often without advice on overuse.

** Originally posted by DEBAK **

Kind of scary that they wash your skin in this before surgery!

They use the povidone type of iodine or more commonly known as betadine fro surgical scrub, not this stuff on here so dont worry about that. This stuff sounds wacky to use for P to me.

Make up your mind - is it curable or not?

Yes, as Dr. Simoncini has found, psoriasis is a fungus, which responds to tincture of iodine. When I first read this, I was skeptical, but not having the tincture on hand, tried antifungal cremes, such as Nizoral, with no positive results. Later I purchased Povidone Iodine, the only form of iodine my pharmacy stocked, but it also turned out to be ineffective. Finally in early January of this year I asked my pharmacist to order tincture of iodine. Most pharmacies no longer carry it, it used to be the most common of disinfectants for cuts and bruises, but the fact that it stains the skin caused it to be replaced by other less cosmetically objectionable substances. The dark brown staining generally fades within 24 hours (faster if you are iodine-deficient). When applied to the psoriasis plaques it creates a kind of crust, which upon repeated application -- twenty times a day or more -- will fall off or wash off with soaking after about 4-5 days. Underneath you will find healthy pink skin. You should not apply the iodine to that, just let it mature and watch it as it turns into normal healthy skin.

Warnings from the Material Safety Data Sheet:

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/i2682.htm

Skin Contact:

Ethyl Alcohol Component: May cause skin discoloration with irritation. Irritating due to defatting action on skin. Causes redness, pain, drying and cracking of the skin.

Iodine Component: Contact may cause blistering burns, irritation, and pain. Vapors may be severely irritating to the skin.

Chronic Exposure:

Ethyl Alcohol Component: Prolonged contact may cause skin discoloration. May cause drying cracking, and dermatitis. Ethanol may cause reproductive effects such as birth defects, developmental problems and may damage the reproductive system. Repeated high exposure may damage the liver, nervous system and blood cells.

Iodine Component: Chronic exposure to iodine may cause insomnia, conjunctivitis, inflammation of the nasal mucous, bronchitis, tremor, rapid heart beat, diarrhea and weight loss. Allergic sensitization may occur. Chronic iodine overdoses have produced iodism. Headache, fever, sneezing, salivation, and skin rashes may occur.

Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:

Persons with pre-existing skin disorders, eye problems, impaired respiratory function, or disease of the thyroid, lungs, or kidney may be more susceptible to the effects of the substance.

Thank you for the warning about the dangers of tincture of iodine. Like any medication, it must be used with caution. Until recently tincture of iodine was a common disinfectant for cuts and scrapes and still is so used in many countries. It is indicated for this purpose. Of course excessive amounts of almost any substance will be harmful to the system. We are talking here about application to small areas for a brief period of time. It does stain the skin, but this fades within twenty-four hours or so -- excepts when applied to psoriasis plaques, where it will form a crust almost immediately. It should be applied to over the crust repeatedly, many times a day, for about four or five days, until the crust falls or peels off by itself or washes off. Do not try to remove the crust before it is ready to come off by itself. This will only prolong the healing process. Do not apply tincture of iodine to the healthy skin that forms underneath the crust after the crust has come off. As a side note, iodine deficiency is a common problem in many countries and very quick fading of the skin discoloration is indicative of such deficiency.

omg after reading that safety data sheet. this stuff looks like it will peel the skin right off. pictorex any comments on this so called use of tincture of iodine?

No, it will not peel your skin right off, it does not burn the skin, rather it stains it dark brown, although this fades rather quickly, generally within 24 hours. The sensitivity of human skin differs not only from individual to individual, but also on different parts of the body. The skin on your face is much more sensitive than the skin on your arms or legs for instance. So exercise caution and apply only to the affected areas. Keep out of the eyes, that should go without saying. In general, you would only apply the tincture of iodine to the psoriasis plaques, not to healthy skin. But it will generally not harm healthy skin, unless you apply it to the same spot repeatedly--but why would you do that? There is no reason to apply it to healthy skin. Betadine or Povidone Iodine is not effective, as it does not penetrate the skin sufficiently to destroy the underlying fungus. Tincture of iodine is indicated as a disinfectant for abrasions and small cuts and has been used this way for many decades.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders