the PsA medication ads tick me off!

just wondering...do the tv ads for psoriatic arthritis meds bother anyone else? I feel like they make it sound like you can just go to the Dr., ask to be put on the medication, take a pill & it's like magic...you're all better! I'm glad that they bring awareness to the condition, but I wish there was a more realistic picture of what it's like to have this condition...that it may take a long time to be diagnosed & there might already be damage & that you'll probably have to try other meds first & it can be expensive..etc., etc. I think my husband thinks if I find the right dose of medicine that I'll be able to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro or something! Anyway...just had to get that off my chest!

16 replies. Join the discussion

In know, RIGHT!?! The one with the model from America's next top model sometimes makes me crack up. Like if I can get on Stelara I'll be a model too! OMG sign me up!! Phil Mickelson just pops that jar of spaghetti sauce open, and I think "I remember when I could do that. If only I could tolerate Enbrel I could do that again too". How lucky they both were to find meds that are working for them so quickly. I hope they continue to work for them for many years, but it will be interesting to see the marketing strategies they endorse if/when these meds do stop working.

Actually I had a foot doctor tell me if the golfer was able to go back to golfing you can get a job and move on! I remember when got it was a day or
Two later he was on Enbrel. It took almost 9 months for me! My sed rate was 93. Anyways I 100 percent.

Parched1, my husband also thinks that if I can improve myself with proper nutrition that I'll be able to return to hiking, biking, strenuous swimming, you name it! He still doesn't have a clue the toll this takes on the body. I don't like to just wimp out on every activity but he's already planning up every moment of each day on our next vacation! I had to remind him that I will be spending every other day at a luxuriating pace; he & my daughter can go overexert themselves every day but I plan to come home not feeling like I need another vacation to recover from the vacation!!

My energy is a lot like that I over do it and it can a day up to 3 days. It's hard for people to understan .

Yes, yes they do upset me.

Omg, those commercials make me so crazy! First off, they arent practically broken down when theyget diagnosed or put on the medication in the first place. Then they dont seem to have to go thru a song and dance to get the medication, and then voila! They are just back to normal, prepsoriasis state.

Hi!
Don't I know that frustration! The medicines are so much harder than just popping a pill, getting relief, and being done it! Some of them are shots too, but they never really mention it!
What I hate worse is the lack of young kids on those commercials: I'm a teenager and I take Enbrel.

Arthritisgirl.blogspot.com

I've actually thought it would be good for someone to do a book about faces of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. Kind of a travel across the country/world and take pics of REAL people with these diseases and a "chapter" about their journey. Until there are some realistic exposure about how these diseases affect people there won't be understanding by people who do not have it.

I believe what is important is that those who need or want the specific Rx are made AWARE of it...that is what counts.

like I said before, the awareness is great...the depiction of it not being a big deal along with a miraculous recovery, not so much.

If the inconsiderate A drug companies new how bad they Td us off they would try another marketing maker!! I can't stand the one where the little girl brushes the lady's hair and looks down as if she might puke!! Heck I may puke watching the dumb commercial! Get real are you really going to call up your derm after listening to the end disclaimers!! Taking this may cause canc er and most certainly TB so lets all run out and beg for it? STUPID:(:(:(

Hey gonna be a golfer when I get on enbrel cause I'm sure it's gonna work after first shot just like humira did NOT after 6 months. I like the way they put very lite red splotches you can see to symbolize p. lets put the real stuff on there. And I bet the golfer gets his meds for free.

If one of us has a friend who is really good making videos, they could do one on the truth of PsA. It would be the part not mentioned in the ads from Enbrel, Humira, Stelara, etc. Maybe run about 20 minutes and feature 2 or 3 folks with PsA. I would like to see that the truth is that someone had loosen the lid on the spaghetti sauce before Mikelson opened it for the camera. Also show that we are all different and that the golfer and the model may be considered to have mild PsA. I can't pick up my grandson while I am standing. I have to be sitting for it to be safe for both of us. This is the sort of truth that needs to be told.

A video like that could possibly go viral. Just a suggestion.

I think they don't explain it well enough to give anyone a realistic view but then again they re trying to sell their product. My husband is the same. He says you need Enbrel the golfer is okay and he uses it. He also talked to a guy at work that was bed ridden until Enbrel. Well my dr put me on humira and I still have a ton of breakthrough pain lately. My husbands answer go on Enbrel. If only it were that easy.

TV ads created by bright spark people sitting in Ad agencies - thinking up catchy angles to sell a product-
.they could be selling steak knives, toys, salad dressing, and the methodology is the same.The promotors need a reality check.-
Like talking to some people who are actually struggling with this disease,

I don't know if I can paste this here, but I found this through my daily research...maybe it will help someone (?). It has to do with stem-cells...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHKW2qylxMk

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders