Symptoms of HPA Axis Suppression

** Originally posted by lioya **

Hi there. I use both Olux and Dovonex cream regularly for my Psoriasis, which covers my elbows, knees, and parts of my torso and scalp. I use the Olux only on weekends and the Dovonex every day, once a day. Since last Saturday I've had severe stomach pain and fatigue, with big dark circles under my eyes. Sometimes when I blow my nose now I see blood in the tissue. My stomach pain feels like a gnawing that sometimes gets worse after meals.

I did a search on the web and couldn't find anything that listed the symptoms of HPA Axis Suppression, which I know is a possibility with the Olux. Before I call my Doctor and sound like a hypochondriac freak, I was hoping someone here might be able to help me rule out HPA as a possible cause of my issues. I'm hoping it's just run of the mill gastritis, but I'm getting a bit nervous.

Thanks so muc.
JK

12 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by misales **

ever had an endoscopy? if not and you are having stomach problems ask you doc if they can take a look. They give you versaid and whala....they got pics of your gut. I have had three in my lifetime now and like them. I think its a good tool if you have gastro issues. you have to see a gastroenterologist to have one. I know nothing about the condition that you mentioned, sorry. Also, sounds like your not feeling well. I'd get it checked out, especially since abnormal blood in the snot. Doc knows best.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi jk
sorry you are going though a hard time. welcome to the p family. you will meet some of the wonderful people on here and find alot of great info. i see you misales. hang in there more will come though.

try and have a good night

richard

** Originally posted by JKNY **

I have used both olux and dovonex over the past few years. I really really doubt you could have used enough Olux to cause those symptoms. HP axis suppression is something the docs refer to when discussing hepititis, fatty liver, gout, and hemochromotosis. Basically there is probably too much fat in the the liver ( most likely from being overweight ). My doc ( not my derm) has suspected I have hemochromotosis which means he is on my butt to lose weight. He has me on cholestorol medicine.

Blood from nose blowing is common. I wouldn't worry about that. You should consult your general internist about the symptoms and let him rule out stuff.

** Originally posted by debber_1 **

You could have ulcers..Here is a link: http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/health-info/dis-cond/misc/pepticul.html

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

ULCERS would be my guess, but please talk to your doc.
The hunger and pain after eating is a symptom.
The blood from your nose could be from dryness or high altitude.
The doc. will know if they have to take a look in there. That's not fun and for a colonoscopy, I make them sedate me.
Don't let it go because an ulcer can bleed and that is serious.
Let us know how you do.
Granny

** Originally posted by lioya **

Thanks so much for all the info. I've suspected ulcers myself...I'm really glad that it doesn't sound like suppression. The endoscopy doesn't sound like a good time but I understand it may be the only way to know for sure.

The cosensus seems to be that I should get myself to the doc, so I think I'll call the office tomorrow. I really appreciate all of the encouragement and well wishes. :)

JK

I think after about three doses I am addicted to Versaid. I was scared before my first one, but afterward it was really cool. I also had the colonoscopy one time. Well worth it in my opinion. The worst part of the colonoscopy is drinking the 36 gallons of go-lightly "aint that a heck of a name for a drug" the night before. If your just doing the endoscope, its a breeze. No food or drink after midnight you go in outpatient. They hook up a couple of easy things and give you an iv in the arm. Next thing you know its over and the rest of the day is good! the time I did the colonoscopy, I had both so it was like a 2 for 1 coupon deal.

Absolutely painless. If needed I would do one in a heartbeat. If your gastro doc. ever wants to give you a barium enema, however, tell him to take a fricken hike. They don't put you out for that and it is a pain in the "SSA". It is a very uncomfortable procedure and in my case uncalled for in my opinion.

Ask you doc or gastro is you have one for the scope and see what he says. My insurance pays for it so it doesn't cost me anything really. I would assume that it is an expensive deal if you don't have good insurance.

Good luck, don't let it go.

lioya,
Your doc. might be able to diagnose without running a lot of test. Be sure to tell him about all your symptoms and the meds. that you take.
hope it goes well with you.

Brad,

What is Versaid?

You don't have to drink 36 gallons of anything before a colonoscopy. I drink about 2 oz. of something. I can't remember the name right now, but it's better than drinking all that other stuff. I've done that to and I told my doc. never again. I won't let them run the tube down my nose again, either. They have to sedate me or NO WAY!!! Guess I'm just a chicken. Once was enough.
Any way, right now all those problems are cleared up except the GERD and I control that with diet and Pepcid. Wow, that ulcer scared me enough to be more aware of that kind of thing. I almost died and didn't know it.

Granny

I was kidding granny on the 36 gallons. For my colonoscopy they made me drink a gallon of "golightly" the night before. It tastes terrible and makes you "gooften". the scopes I was talking about are the ones that in my experience they only give you when your out. The versaid is the drug they give you. now i'm not a pharmacist but from what I understand is that it is like a memory drug. All I can tell you is that whatever the heck it is I like it. Any comments out there on versaid, any experts?

There is a colon scope they do when you are awake. I think it is call a sigmoid or something. I had one of those too. They only check a little ways with that one so it's not to bad. I suppose I had good docs too, I'm assuming that makes a difference.

Brad,

3 ounce bottle of FLEET PHOSPHO-SODA saline-that's it. No gallon of yukky stuff :eek: Sigmoidoscopy-that't it, the one you couldn't SPELL. :D Had that also.
Sounds like Versaid is what they used for me. If a doctor tells me something won't hurt-I ask him if he has had it done. If he says no, then I tell him to put me out. How does he know if something hurts if he hasn't had it done to him.
I seem to have a handle on these problems and try to avoid stirring things up.

Now I won't wake up at 3:00AM and remember all those words.
Granny

** Originally posted by jimmi **

I have used both olux and dovonex over the past few years. I really really doubt you could have used enough Olux to cause those symptoms. HP axis suppression is something the docs refer to when discussing hepititis, fatty liver, gout, and hemochromotosis. Basically there is probably too much fat in the the liver ( most likely from being overweight ). My doc ( not my derm) has suspected I have hemochromotosis which means he is on my butt to lose weight. He has me on cholestorol medicine.

Blood from nose blowing is common. I wouldn't worry about that. You should consult your general internist about the symptoms and let him rule out stuff.

In reply to the hpa axis question. I have in the last few years had psoriasis take over my everyday life. In 2003 I noticed a rash develope on my shins, and every year get worse. Not knowing what it was, I just assumed I had been burned by concrete which I often kneel down in. Many of my co-workers suffered the same burnlike rash, but mine never seemed to heal. what does all this have to do with hpa, well I'm getting to that. In the late summer of 2006 a friend who had psoriasis for years saw my legs and said "Hey man you got psoriasis" , Then the treatment with betamethasone diproprianate started and Wow! in 4 days the rash was gone. Sadly enough though it didn't last more than a few days and I found myself using it almost everyday to keep the skin clear. By the fall of 2006 the P started to spread. By the winter of 2006 I began to have very scary symptoms. I began having severe panic attacks, shortness of breath, Blood pressure spikes, severe constipatation,chest pains, headaches, and my swallow reflex was gone, all of which sent me running to the emergency room several times. Every time the doctors would say there is nothing wrong, you just have high blood pressure and are at an age where you may need to have meds for anxiety and hypertension. By the spring of 2007 my P was everywhere and Could no longer bend over because my head and eyes felt as if they would explode. I could no longer eat without the fear of choking to death, but the weight just piled on. My vision would blur and I get bouts of nausea and fear. I kept telling my doctors that something was wrong and I thought it may be the steroid creams, but I was told that was highly unlikely. Finally I began to check the internet and typed in my symptoms and topical steroids. Hpa axis suppression and reversible cushing syndrome popped right out at me. I stopped the roids and am happy to say that all those horrible symptoms have gone. The P has stopped and reversed slightly. I now use nothing but p jelly and try to eat and live healthy. All of which seems to help. A change in soap and stress reduction and definetly uv have all helped but as long as I live I will never put topical steroids on again.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi jimmi,
welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good day all

richard

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders