Swimming and Psoriasis..?

** Originally posted by mirandaskye **

I have psoriasis but I want to join the swim team at my school. Will the chlorine make my psoriasis worse??

17 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MrsCuster **

Depends on the person and how well the pools chemicals are kept up. I can swim in a pool fine and no problem, others are reporting problems. I also worked as a pool chemical tech for a while and can tell you if the school doesnt keep all the chemicals balanced it will mess with your skin even if you dont have P

** Originally posted by spottedcat83 **

And another question... if there is a virus or something in the pool water, can it get into psoriasis spots with cracks and infect the skin? Just to add to the general worry...

I would think that anything like chlorine could potentially make it worse. Possibly you could put something like a thin coat of vasoline over your spots to keep the pool water off them.

How extensive is your psoriasis?

** Originally posted by DottieD **

I believe it's been recommended that we shower after being in a pool to help remove chlorine, then use a good moisturizing lotion.

Ok thanks a bunch for responding. My psoriasis isn't extremely terrible... mainly quarter sized patches on my back and chest. I started getting it over the summer, and we have a pool. It didn't seem to irritate it then, so I'm hoping that the school pool won't be any different. I'll just make sure I moisturize frequently!

** Originally posted by missiongirl69 **

I swim & it does irritate my p. My derm says to wash without soap after the pool. He says we should only use soap on our stinky parts (LOL). If the pools ph is out it does a number on my skin.if not, not so bad, my home pool is the worst. Vaseline works a barrier just on the spots. Use a mixture of body lotion & mineral oil before going all over the bod it helps me & after.

** Originally posted by spottedcat83 **

Vaseline works a barrier just on the spots. Use a mixture of body lotion & mineral oil before going all over the bod it helps me & after.

So use Vaseline on the spots and slather the lotion/mineral oil all over before swimming? Or the Vaseline before and the lotion/mineral oil after?

** Originally posted by brandy55 **

Hi,

I have a swimming pool at home and yes the chlorine will make your skin very dry after but not worse. If you can take a shower just after swimming and moisturize you will be ok. I did not shower each time after a swim, the only think it does is make your skin dryer.

I apply the lotion mixed with some mineral oil in my hand then slather it on my entire body..less on face. I then apply very small amounts of vaseline to my p area after the lotion & swim. I like using a basic body lotion with olive oil in it..they aren't super expensive either. After the pool I rinse off & apply the lotion mixture again. If you don't use a swim cap I also will apply body lotion to my hair sumx before the swim..nothing crazy just apply it litely.

** Originally posted by MARCIA70 **

I may be different , but swimming in pools or rivers has always helped mine.....i guess it depends on the person .

thanks again for your responses, what is this mineral oil you guys are talking about? and what brands of lotion w/ olive oil are good?

** Originally posted by mikey **

when i swim in the pool mine feels yuk and itcy

go swim at the beach.skin feels real good after that..

i started going to the beach again on my flare up and using MTX im gonna see if the beach heals it

I just hit Walmart & buy their brand for like $5 Canadian.

** Originally posted by MadCat **

Will the chlorine make my psoriasis worse??

Maybe.

Chlorine use to drive my P patches insane - I would be red raw itchy for days afterwards.

But swimming in the sea (natural sea salt, combined with sunlight) or fresh water natural lakes really helped.

MC

** Originally posted by zedanny **

Swimming really bothered my P so the wife got me an above ground pool with a chemical free system (we use salt instead chemicals) and it really helps my P.
Cost pool $400 filter system was $200. I just love it but it's a little cool this time of the year.LOL!

Danny you still have to make sure your chemicals stay at the right levels witha salt system, or it can cause problems and even make your water look bad. Just a lil fyi I am sure you already knew that though!

I think I need to switch my home pool to chemical free too..cause my p just goes crazy at my home pool..really it makes that good a diff..awesome! My pool is around 15x24 though & fairly deep..My husband will just love me for costing him more $ though lol.

I am going on a sun vacation (cross my fingers the weather is suggesting rain) & I will see if the sea & sun does much for me as I am going through a rough p spell..If it's nice enough out there I will try to take some pic's to see the diff..

I think I need to switch my home pool to chemical free too..cause my p just goes crazy at my home pool..really it makes that good a diff..awesome! My pool is around 15x24 though & fairly deep..My husband will just love me for costing him more $ though lol.

I am going on a sun vacation (cross my fingers the weather is suggesting rain) & I will see if the sea & sun does much for me as I am going through a rough p spell..If it's nice enough out there I will try to take some pic's to see the diff..

I dont know if they have it in your area but a good chlorine free (still has chemicals but not as harsh as chlorine) is Pristine blue, I worked at a pool store as a water tech and we sold that, it was awsome and didnt bother peoples skin or eyes. and you dont have to maintain the other chemicals in the pool as much because it works on lower levels. and you dont have to get a whole new filtration system. It will cost a lil to get started because you have to get all the chlorine out of the pool before adding pristine blue or the pool will turn a nasty swampy green color. But once its done its a lot easier to maintain.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders