Stiffness, burning eyes, and the search for the ever elusive perfect pillow

** Originally posted by Dannyelle **

So as I've gone about my business this past 24 hours with my fresh diagnosis, I have had a couple of thoughts come up:

Why is it that some days after I've worked through my morning kinks, I can go and go and go and go like the Energizer Bunny, but as soon as I sit for awhile and try to get back up, my body is just as stiff, if not more stiff, than it is in the morning? Sometimes I wonder if I should just never sit down!

And what's up with the burning sting in my eyes? Oh it HURTS! Like I've been standing in a wind storm for 2 days. Dry, burning, stinging, aching. Is that PsA related? Anything that might help it?

And can we talk pillows? Thanks to my terrible neck pain, I have probably purchased some 30 different pillows over the past few years. I'll get one and it will feel good for awhile and I'll think a-ha! I have finally found The One! But then it'll start feeling..wrong somehow, and the neck pain will return. Is there such a thing as a perfect pillow out there? Some nights I would trade my first born for a really good pillow! (ok, not really, but I really would love to find a good one somewhere!)

10 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by realtor910 **

Hi Dannyelle, sorry to here about the neck and eye problems. I think your neck issues are just PsA related and no matter what pillow you use it's going to bother you unitl you get on the right meds. As for the eye issues please read the following article on eye problems associated with auto-immune disease: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0915/p991.html and then make an appointment with an Opthomologist for a complete eye exam. Wishing you have a pain free New Year! Deanna

** Originally posted by deb54 **

Hi Dannyelle...glad to meet you..I love your post!!! Sorry for your newly diagnosed PsA but it seems you are tackling it head-on.

I must have 40 pllows in my collection by now...finally made one...prop up with the PERFECT pillpw , wake with another area screaming...I took fleece fabric, the kind blankets are made of, rolled it loosely and made a small flannel pillowcase for it. This is more of a neck roll to use with a pillow. I can't sleep without it.

I never sit down. When I am exhausted, I nap...makes me feel worse every time, by the way.

Eyes..I see my eye doc several times a year and have liquid tears for the dry times. Drink more water...One of my eyes actually sticks shut due to a p spot on the inside of the lid. Eye problems are common.

** Originally posted by limmerance **

I love my posturepedic pillow. I suffered years with upper body pain then I dropped $130.00 on this pillow believing I would regret it. I love my pillow!! If I travel... it has to comes with me.

** Originally posted by mom2ellabella **

I was diagnosed with Dry Eye, and it was linked to the PsA somehow. I am also allergic to eyedrops (you know, because thats just my luck) and have to buy the super expensive single dose drops that I have to get. Definatly go to the Opthamologist - he/she is your friend!

No advice on pillows, I am still searching myself.

** Originally posted by nla **

Welcome to the group, Dannyelle (and Limmerance, too)! I am so thankful for your post and the replies! I thought I was the only one who had purchased SO MANY PILLOWS over the years! Limmerance, exactly WHICH posturpedic pillow do you have??? I think I will look into that one! While $130. does sound like a lot, when I factor in all the $$$ I have already spent on pillows, it's a drop in the bucket :)

Nancy

** Originally posted by limmerance **

Nancy,

Sorry.. I missed informed you. It is a Tempurpedic Neck Pillow. Here is a link: http://www.tempurpedic.com/Contoured-Pillows/Tempur-Pedic-NeckPillow.asp

I have the medium sized one. It did take me a few weeks to get use to so keep that in mind. I know some people get it and try it for a few days and give up on it. I started noticing a difference fairly quickly which only motivated me to continue using it.

Thanks for the warm welcomes too!

** Originally posted by lisaann **

I sware I saw a good variety of pillows on http://www.walmart.com

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Simmons-Beautyrest-Latex-Pillow-King-Size/1328370 6

** Originally posted by tetons **

My opthomologist has really helped me lots. There are over the counter drops and if those don't work, there is a prescription pill that helps. There is also a prescription food supplement that has really helped me. Your opthomologist will know about it.

As far as pillows go, just keep trying. Remember you can take pillows back as well. I have tried all price ranges and have found one that works for me. I tried to buy another one several months later and of course, they aren't making it anymore so I will have to start over when this one loses it perfectness.

Why can't companies realize they don't need to change a good thing!

** Originally posted by AngelTree **

Yeah I have the neck pain and the red yes too. I sleep all wrong as far as pillows go...but it actually works for me :).

** Originally posted by MikeK **

And what's up with the burning sting in my eyes? Oh it HURTS! Like I've been standing in a wind storm for 2 days. Dry, burning, stinging, aching. Is that PsA related? Anything that might help it?

Eye problems and psoriatic arthritis often go hand in hand. (I've seen posts from people who got a PA diagnosis specifically as a result of some issues that they were having with their eyes.) My rheumy insists that his PA patients undergo their eye examinations with a doctor who is affiliated with a teaching hospital. I've worn glasses since the 2nd grade. Until my rheumy put the fear of God in me I used to get my eyes examined at one of those places that's in the mall. I now get my eyes examined at the State University of New York's Optometric Center just because I know where it is. (My insurance doesn't cover eye exams.) It's the most through eye examination I've ever had. You get examined twice -- once by a resident and once by his or her professor. (They warn you when you make the appointment that the "typical" exam lasts for approximately two hours. They're not kidding. I don't know if that's typical for most teaching hospitals, but I thought that I'd mention it.)

As for the eye issues please read the following article on eye problems associated with auto-immune disease: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0915/p991.html and then make an appointment with an Ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam. Wishing you have a pain free New Year! Deanna

That's an excellent article, Deanna.

A couple of years ago Cat (SeeDoubleYou) posted another very informative (and still very relevant) article in this thread: http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?p=260596&highlight=keratitis# post260596 that, like Deanna's article, is must reading for anyone who has psoriasis and/or PA. (Here's a link to the article that's in her post: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0915/p991.html.)

I hope this helps.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Mike</blockquote>

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders