steroid injections in the scalp

** Originally posted by corozo **

Has anyone had steroid injections in the scalp and have success or is it a bad idea?

6 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by mstaylor **

I can't speak for others but when mine first started years ago I had a Derm that was doing injections in my scalp and legs every two weeks .At first I thought it was the greatest thing because it would clear up fast, then the clear times between injections became less and less effective and the psoriasis got worse and the shots had no effect at all and I was in a far worse condition than when I started... Had I to do it over again I wouldn't have ever done it.
The Dr. I go to now won't use steroid injections on any of his patients just for that reason.
It's much like being on prednisone then stopping abruptly which causes a flair.
That was my experience with it.

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

I had the injections in the palm of my hands,,,,,,,bad mistake,,,,,I would quit going to a doc that even suggested that to me.

** Originally posted by okiedokie **

Doesn't sound good to me. I had injections all around my body... about 15-20 with the shots. Worked ok for a bit then psoriasis came back. A bunch of years ago I found phototherapy and now it is the best for me: http://phototherapystore.com

** Originally posted by corozo **

Wow now I am worried because I had my doctor inject my scalp once and now I don't know what to think. I realize I shouldn't have done it but now its too late. What do you think? That was a few months ago. Right now I have a flare up and that is why i was asking but now i know that i shouldn't go in for more injections.

** Originally posted by mstaylor **

There isn't much you can do after the fact but ride out the storm. Topical Olux or luxqi foam or diprolene scalp liquid may help you. I prefer the liquid, it's easier for me to apply right to the scalp, it seems no matter how careful I am with the Olux I end up getting a lot of the foam on my hair, as expensive as it is I think that's a waste of the product for me and the liquid is not as costly. I hope your storm passes quickly.

** Originally posted by npf_reader **

One thing that really worked for me for the scalp was Bakers P & S Liquid. Apply the liquid overnight , cover it with shower cap (Make some holes in the cap). Wash next morning.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders