Stelara Users

** Originally posted by sickofP **

Since I just got my first Stelara injection this morning, I thought I'd start a new thread just for Stelara users to see if we can all compare notes and log our progress. I got the shot at 9am. it's now almost 1pm., no changes yet lol...I have very little patience :)

872 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MattStrat **

Since I just got my first Stelara injection this morning, I thought I'd start a new thread just for Stelara users to see if we can all compare notes and log our progress. I got the shot at 9am. it's now almost 1pm., no changes yet lol...I have very little patience :)

Im a day over 3 weeks and only yesterday started noticing subtle differences. For the first week i was constantly looking at my arms but then told myself to stop haha....gonna take some time.

** Originally posted by mactess **

OK i believe 3 of us got our 1st stelara shot today (10-29-09). Just to keep a date reference. Hopefully by our 2nd shot (11-25 or 11-27) we'll all have seen some improvement. But i DO NOT want to get my hopes too high. I'll be excited with not getting any worse at this point. Humira always gave me sunburn like reactions the day after my shot (it was horrible).

All i have is a mild headache today and i actually feel hungry, i never feel hungry duing the day (i'm a big time coffee drinker).

OK EVERYONE GOOD LUCK ; )~

** Originally posted by mstaylor **

I got my first one two days ago, the 27, second one Nov 27.
"God give me patients and I want it now" I'm already looking for some changes that I know I'm not going to see for weeks. Another OCD

I have to keep reminding myself that the cells that were given the wrong messages will go on and complete the cycle and do the dirty work they were programed to do before the new ones blocked by the Stelara take their place. All I noticed today is it seemed more itchy and the skin seemed to be peeling off more than usual but that seems to be the normal cycle with me anyway. Come on Stelara baby do your thing!

** Originally posted by Redboy **

I have to keep reminding myself that the cells that were given the wrong messages will go on and complete the cycle and do the dirty work they were programed to do before the new ones blocked by the Stelara take their place. All I noticed today is it seemed more itchy and the skin seemed to be peeling off more than usual but that seems to be the normal cycle with me anyway. Come on Stelara baby do your thing!

LOL - I laugh so hard - I like your sig "I'm not laughing It's hysteria"

We p people often get down in the dumps. It's always nice to know you made someone smile and laughing is so good for the soul.

** Originally posted by oakrai42 **

I get my first shot tomorrow at noon. I expect to be 100% clear and have no side effects by 9pm 'cause I have 3 days of partying ahead of me this weekend :D

Oh Yes , Partying is good for your soul too. Have fun!

** Originally posted by scabgirl **

Hope I works out, I'm so scared of injections...but I'm having second thoughts after this morning. It's been a bad couple of days...stress...and this crap!

** Originally posted by mactess **

I had a mild headache yesterday, and thought it was only from the shot. Well today my mild headache started again. Did anyone get this after their shot? Should I be worried. The doctors and specialy pharmacists said if i develope any headaches, vision changes or seizures to contact a doctor right away. I just figured this would be over the long run of taking the medication, not right away.

Alison

I haven't had a headache since getting the shot but I do get them often from sinus and allergy problems, it's raining and very damp today so I'm surprised I don't have one.
Scabgirl, Is it the biologic or the shot that you don't like. The needle is so very small and done so fast I hardly feel it no stinging or burning at all.

** Originally posted by mikkel **

Hi all.

I have the ppp aswell(both hands and feet). Went off Raptiva and directly on Stelara. I have had my 2 first shots (45 mg) and it is now 3 months since i started. I have been put on 50 mg of Soriatane to minimize the flare. After a month the flare arrived, first it came with pustles, but after 3 weeks it is now red. My hands and feets are scaling, but it is somehow under control. The new skin is not dark-red. Can´t say it is Stelara that keeps it under control, but I am still quite optimistic. My derm (who is a professor), told me that a flare is to be expected, and it is impossible to tell when Stelara will take over.

By the way, just got a letter from the hospital saying that every user of biologics should go and get the "swine flu" and the usual influenza vaccine.

Again sorry for my english, I am danish :)

FWIW I've gotten headaches on all biologics I've tried (enbrel, humira, stelara as of 1hr 40min ago) especially the day of or day after an injection. Ok, technically stelara doesn't really count yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if I get one today or tomorrow.

If the headache is severe, and accompanied by other neurological symptoms, then I'd talk to your doctor. If it's a minor headache that comes and goes after getting an injection, I wouldn't worry unless it's persistent and worsens.

I'm hoping they eventually make this available to be self administered. Personally, I like jabbing myself with needles... it's fascinating (I'm strange, I know, it's ok :) ).

** Originally posted by SuzanneT **

mactess....... I had headaches after the first two Raptiva injections (that was two and a half years ago), starting 48 hours after the injection, and lasting for two days. It was really only for the first couple of weeks tho. Hope you're feeling better soon.

mikkel..... When did you start Soriatane? Does your Dr. think that's what is stopping the flare? I will be following your progress closely, as I just did my last Raptiva injection tonight, and will start Stelara (hopefully) next week.

Actually, I'll be following BOTH of you, since you both also have PPPP.

Please everyone, keep posting your progress, we all appreciate it!

Sue

okraid42....... I agree - I would much prefer to do the injection myself....... by the way, what are the sites they use for injection?

** Originally posted by ctic **

Received my first injection of Stelara today. It has been a stressful week with bungled approval paperwork, 2 false shipping dates along with the 2 anticipated injection appointments. Started to think it was some divine intervention happening. But as they say 3rd times a charm. Once at work found a message on phone at 10:00 stating it really arrived, but the dermo office closes today at 12:00. Dropped everything at work and in the pouring rain I drove like a mad man to reach the office because I could not wait until Monday. Walking into the room I was shocked to be greeted by name as if everyone in the office was expecting me. I am the first person to start this therapy at the dermo. I was treated as a celebrity, with everyone knowing and popping their heads in to see the event and take a look at the new drug.

My injection was in the stomach and wonder where everyone else had their injection on their body.

Must admit that directly after the injection and throughout the rest of the day I have a mild queazy side effect feeling.

Congrats to everyone starting this med,
Chris

<snip>

okraid42....... I agree - I would much prefer to do the injection myself....... by the way, what are the sites they use for injection?

Same as other biologics... thigh, stomach, upper arm. Dr's office did the upper arm for me. I used to inject in the stomach though with enbrel and humira over the years.

** Originally posted by mikkel **

mactess....... I had headaches after the first two Raptiva injections (that was two and a half years ago), starting 48 hours after the injection, and lasting for two days. It was really only for the first couple of weeks tho. Hope you're feeling better soon.

mikkel..... When did you start Soriatane? Does your Dr. think that's what is stopping the flare? I will be following your progress closely, as I just did my last Raptiva injection tonight, and will start Stelara (hopefully) next week.

Actually, I'll be following BOTH of you, since you both also have PPPP.

Please everyone, keep posting your progress, we all appreciate it!

Sue

Have been on Soriatane for 1.5 months. I have NOT had a bad flare like many others in here. But still I am flaring, but I guess we have to remember, that it is a completely different area of the immune system this drug has to lower. PPP is different and aggressive, when I first started Raptiva it also took 4 months before I was sure it was working. My doc said that he has patients with ppp doing well on Stelara, also some who failed. I will see my doc in a month, and hopefully he is satisfied. He told me to be optimistic, if Stelara fails, we will try the TNF-A, and if they fails they are already testing two more drugs designed for Psoriasis that are very effectice aswell.

My first Injection was in the upper arm, they may use other areas as time goes on, I don't know and I really don't care where they stick me as long as it's not in my eye. HA!

** Originally posted by cbaker **

I am on the same schedule as you! I have had the chills and a small fissure in nostril. Placques are becoming smaller and less scaley and head p. is less thick. Some redness is now more pink. Had a rebound from Humira so any improvement is excellent! Good idea to track this drug because I feel my doctor is clueless!!
52842]Since I just got my first Stelara injection this morning, I thought I'd start a new thread just for Stelara users to see if we can all compare notes and log our progress. I got the shot at 9am. it's now almost 1pm., no changes yet lol...I have very little patience :)</blockquote>

** Originally posted by cbaker **

I am on the same schedule as you! I have had the chills and a small fissure in nostril. Placques are becoming smaller and less scaley and head p. is less thick. Some redness is now more pink. Had a rebound from Humira so any improvement is excellent! Good idea to track this drug because I feel my doctor is clueless!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders