Spray tan for hypopigmentation?

** Originally posted by TaraFIU **

I have some white spots from where gp lesions have cleared.

This happens most often when I expose my gp lesions to sunlight. The sunlight provides some clearing, but the cleared areas appear very white next to tan skin. The white spots (my husband affectionately calls it my snow lepoard look) take forever to clear.

I was thinking of trying a spray tan to even out my skin tone and hopefully help cover the white spots. I was also hoping it would help cover the p spots on my trunk. I was also hoping the spray tan would cover some purple marks that resulted from topical steriod use.

Anyone have experience in this? Does spray tan help cover p / skin imperfections?

I have never tried it b/c of course I am scared of it making my p flare/ irritating my skin.

29 replies. Join the discussion

Thanks for the help Karen!

I'm sure that the tanning salon would certatinly be doing to a patch test, but I'm not sure that would give me the info I need (certainly wouldn't hurt). I'm thinking more about the effects of it being everywhere and the longterm effects of maintianing the tan.

Anyone here ever try it? I am wondering if it is very drying to the skin. Also, would compulsive use of moisturizing creams weaken/shorten the life of the "tan" ?

quick search....

http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30290&highlight=tanning+lot ion

hummmmmmm.....I'll try to find some more posts as the words " tan " and " lotion " are in every other post :D

Karen

Thanks so much! That thread is exactly what I'm taking about. I guess I am not the only snow lepoard (hehe).

** Originally posted by stametst **

Hi Tara,

I seemed to have hypopigmentation but I never seemed to tan. Even after this second degree burn, I do not tan, so I doubt the hypopigmentation would tan at all for me.

** Originally posted by CaseyC **

One of my daughters had hypopigmentation on the middle of her back for no apparent reason. When we took her to the dermatologist, she was prescribed Dovenex to put on at night. We only used it for a month, but six months later her skin had darkened there due to normal sun exposure. Now you can hardly tell she had a white spot there.

** Originally posted by chica63 **

The chemicals in tanning products stain pigmented areas of the skin. If there's no pigment, it wont "stick". Unless the product has a bronzer in it, it does nothing to cover imperfections and the bronzer washes or wears off within a day. Even if you just have lighter areas on your body...like my shins...that don't take to normal tanning well, then it won't take well to the spray tan either. It does NOT cover imperfections and in fact can make them more noticable.

You can get a cream from Dermablend at Ulta and a setting powder to make it water resistant that will cover things like this. It was originally made for burn victims and those with a lot of scarring. It's the best cover product I've ever seen or used..and I'm in the business. ;) It works great on spider veins, birthmarks, hypo and hyper pigmented areas...etc. Great stuff.

Good luck!

The chemicals in tanning products stain pigmented areas of the skin. If there's no pigment, it wont "stick".
Good luck!

That is what I am getting at. I read how self-tanners work and I still feel confused:

"Dihydroxyacetone (DHA), causes a chemical reaction with the amino acids on the outermost top layer of skin to produce a bronzed tan - much like the sun does but without UVA and UVB damage to the skin."

So if an area won't take color from the sun, then it won't take color from tanner? I'm not sure if that is true b/c sun and sunless tanners don't work in exactly the same way...

"The deepest layer of the epidermis, called the stratum basale (basal layer), is affected during sun tanning. The stratum corneum (horny layer) is the outermost layer of the epidermis -- it is this layer that is affected by most sunless-tanning products."

So the sun and sunless tanners work on different layers of the skin. Since my hypopigmentation lasts muliple months, it is likely taking place at the deeper levels of the skin. Does that mean I can't change the surface appearance?

"According to the American Academy of Dermatology, the most effective products available are sunless- or self-tanning lotions that contain dihydroxyacetone (DHA) as the active ingredient. DHA is a colorless sugar that interacts with the dead cells located in the stratum corneum of the epidermis. As the sugar interacts with the dead skin cells, a color change occurs. This change usually lasts about five to seven days from the initial application.

Every day, millions of dead skin cells are sloughed off or worn away from the surface of your skin. In fact, every 35 to 45 days, you have an entirely new epidermis. This is why tans from sunless- or self-tanning lotions will gradually fade -- as the dead cells are worn away, so is your tan. For this reason, most of these products suggest that you reapply the sunless- or self-tanner about every three days to maintain your "tan." "

This description makes it sound like sunless tanners aren't good for p b/c:
1. Since the tanner affects mostly dead skin, those with p lesions will likely have uneven tanning results due to changes in amount of dead skin.
2. Since the normal cycle of shedding skin causes self tanners to fade, those of us with p will lose our tan quickly

My biggest fear with the tan is what chica63 mentioned about the tan making the imperfections more noticible.

I think the results that I am looking for are from more of a cover-up standpoint... I was just hoping to acheive an easier and more lasting result.

Has anyone out there tried a spray tan?

One of my daughters had hypopigmentation on the middle of her back for no apparent reason. When we took her to the dermatologist, she was prescribed Dovenex to put on at night. We only used it for a month, but six months later her skin had darkened there due to normal sun exposure. Now you can hardly tell she had a white spot there.

Is Dovanex supposed to help with the hypopigmentation?

** Originally posted by chica63 **

Trust me, I've offered spray tanning as a service and it won't cover. Yes of course the sun and self tanners work differntly but it still won't cover up your hypopigmentation. Besides, the chemiclas are very drying to the skin and can make you look like a flaking aligator within a couple of says if you already have very dry skin. Using jojoba oil is helpful after you apply. But I would agree, anyone with any skin sensitivity at all should at the very least do a patch test to note any reactions up to 48 hours.

Thanks chica63. Your original post was convincing and clear, but not what I wanted hear (ha ha). I was hoping someone else would come along and say that they use spray tans successfully to cover hypopigmentation.

The burn cover-up that you mentioned sounds like it provides what I am looking for, but I was looking for more than a daily fix. That would be something I would use every once in a while (for a pool party, beach day or special occasion). Good to know that type of product is out there, but I was really hoping for something with less effort and more lasting coverage.

Anyone have a spray tan story to share... positive or negative?

I'm still a snow lepoard. It seems that once the white spots start to fade, my p flares again and I begin the process of red to pink to white spots. So frustrating. I was looking up hypopigmentation and found this post. Unfortunately, the self-tanner did not work for this woman.

http://talkpsoriasis.org/showthread.php?t=29846

I thought I would post it here and ask everyone again if anyone else has tried a spray tan.

** Originally posted by cvstokke **

I've done spray tanning in the past and been very happy with it but hadn't been suffering from hypopigmentation at that point in my life. I'm sure I'll go again sometime int he near future so I'll let you know if I see in changes in my white spots.

I also use Jergens a lot and am in love with it so I'll use that sometime soon and let you know if it 'sticks' to the white spots!

Best of luck :)

** Originally posted by kathryn1989 **

I have used fake tan out of a bottle on my guttate spots before and the spots actually went away. I think using fake tan would be good to cover up the white patches. It has worked for me.

Glad it helped you Kathryn. I may give it a try. I am soooo sick of being covered in spots.

Cvstokke, keep us posted after you try it ;)

** Originally posted by kathryn1989 **

definitely give it a try and keep us posted on how it looks :)

definitely! i'm going back to college sunday which is where my jergens is so i'll try that and let you know now that i know some definite spots where i have hypopigmentation... maybe i'll take some pics to document it so i can tell for sure!

Hey,
Good news! The jergens gradual tan lotion does appear to be helping with the hypopigmentation. It's not totally gone but it's at least less drastic... hope this helps!!!

Thanks so much for the update! Glad the tanner is helping your overall skin appearance.

I'm flaring a bit, and so not ready now to try tanner. I have to wait for clearing first. Too flakey right now to contemplate trying.

If/when I am at a good place to try, I will and will of course post my results.

Stupid flare. Boooo!!!

** Originally posted by mrh1292 **

I got a spray tan for my prom, and it looked great. It made the p less noticable and made my skin tone all even. It doesn't last incredibly long though, so if you want to make it permanant you will have to go once a week. Or you could try drug store brands, but the results are way better at a salon.

Make sure you exfoliate really good before you go, and try to make the spots you have as smooth as possible so the tan will take. I think you will really like the results.

I have purplish marks on some spots that cleared that seemed to have been here for almost a year, any idea about how to get rid of those?

Pigmentation problems from p ultimately resolve on their own... But it can take months (even over a year). Hypopigmentation is the white spots left behind after p heals. Hyperpigmentation is dark spots. Hopefully the purple marks u are referring to are actually hyperpigmentation. However, it sounds like u are describing skin thinning from steriod use. I have purple marks under my breasts from using clobex there. Those marks are "permanent" although I think that derms can remove (or at least reduce appearance) with lasers. I am going to try when I have some extra money. I will of course post results. It won't be soon though as I am andling other financial commitments currently.

I will try the spray ta when this flare calms down. Thanks for sharing!!!

** Originally posted by silkenwings228 **

tara, have you tried soy products? those are proven to be good for hypo/hyperpigmentation. i had both and i think mine cleared up as quickly as they did because the body wash that i use daily has soy in it.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders