sea salt vs. epsom salt

** Originally posted by deedee71 **

Which is better? What is the difference - does anyone know?

16 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by mactess **

I found this on the web. I hope this helps you. Personally neither one of these works for my P.

Q: What are the benefits of soaking the body with Bath Salt (Sea Salt)?
A. Bath salts help ease muscle tension, relieve sore muscles, reduce swelling, soften skin, speed the healing of wounds (razor rash, acne, cuts, and bruises), promote the removal of toxins, soften hard water, and boost skin circulation to name a few.

Q: How much do I use?
A: It is recommended to use from 3 tablespoons to the entire container, depending upon conditions. If the body is excessively sore, swollen or fatigued…use more.

Q: Are these Salts the same as Epsom salts?
A: No – Epsom salts are not salt at all. They are a magnesium compound. Epsom salt has a tendency to be drying to the skin. Conversely, Sea Salts are helpful to the skin because they contain all of the healing minerals from the ocean. They naturally soften both the water and skin. They may also help bring relief to those who suffer with psoriasis or eczema and speed the healing of wounds, razor rash, and acne.

Alison

Thanks Alison! Good info to know. I use both and they help so much!

** Originally posted by kptruck **

Yep, Im going out to buy sea salt tomorrow!

** Originally posted by roor34 **

Hey guys,

Today my mom picked up a thing of Sea Salt. I've been using epsom salt but I asked if she could get some Dead Sea Salts. She came back with Sea Salt not knowing if it is similar to Dead Sea Salt? She didn't mind buying it just to try it out. Its hard for me to tell whether or not these salts do anything extra than something else because its not a noticable effect.

Anyways, basically, is Sea Salt =! Dead Sea Salt?

** Originally posted by Jason_1 **

It is the same thing. Real sea salt is actual salt from sea water than has been evaporated. Dead sea salt is from the Dead Sea supposedly from the southern Dead Sea with claims of higher mineral content.

** Originally posted by mattellie **

Dead Sea salt is unique.

Dead Sea salts have therapeutic skin benefits that date back to the time of Cleopatra. Since then it has been discovered that these salts can actually be used to treat numerous problems because the Dead Sea contains 31% instead of the 3% found in the ocean which is why you cannot sink in its waters. Plus, the Dead Sea salt is also rich in minerals, which include calcium chloride, potassium, bromides and magnesium. These minerals are found in a higher concentration in the Dead Sea than anywhere else.

Paul

** Originally posted by ChrissyRae414 **

Which is better? What is the difference - does anyone know?

Hi Deedee71, glad to meetcha, but sorry for both if us it has to be here!

Please keep in mind that everyone with P seems to respond differently, to different things, and this is just MY personal experience. =) Epsom Salts dry me out kinda bad, but they DO feel good if ya have sore muscles! I have a moderate case of PPPP on the bottoms of my feet, as well as plaque P on the tops, and now, PsA in my feet as well. I Have soaked in a footbath with epsome salts quite a few times, and for me, I would say that it's more beneficial for the PsA problems that the actual P. And, if I don't dry right off and put major moisturizing cream on and cover them with socks, it's kinda a bad situation, cuz it makes me very dry. Seeing how dry my feet got, I probably would never soak in a 'tub' of it, as my body has areas that are thickly 100% covered, and I'm thinking it would be a bad, bad drying agent.

'Sea Salts' dont dry me out as much, and feel really relaxing as well to sore areas. I have soaked in a tub with these, various kinds and brands, quite a few times. No results for my P, but still I would saythey had benefits, as they relaxed me, and my muscles, and had a nice "texture."

I've also done the "Dead Sea Salts" routine before. Soaked in the salts, and have used "Dead Sea Salt soap" before too. Again, It didn't change my P at all, but I sure took alot of relaxing, quiet baths!!!

I hope you have better results than I did! I have 4 types of P, and the plaques on my legs have been at 100% coveragemany many times, and very very thick at timesalso, over these many years... maybe differrent results for different types, thickness, coverages?

Keep yer chin up, and see how it works for ya, if thats what you decide you wanna do! Whatever you decide, we're here to root you on!!!

Have a good one... Chrissy

Yep, Im going out to buy sea salt tomorrow!

I ordered mine sea salt of ebay! 20lbs for 22.00! I have only used it once so far! I am in doing great right now. My legs are clear except for some hyperpigmentation! My elbows still have a tiny spot on each - but that's it.

Hi Deedee71, glad to meetcha, but sorry for both if us it has to be here!

Please keep in mind that everyone with P seems to respond differently, to different things, and this is just MY personal experience. =) Epsom Salts dry me out kinda bad, but they DO feel good if ya have sore muscles! I have a moderate case of PPPP on the bottoms of my feet, as well as plaque P on the tops, and now, PsA in my feet as well. I Have soaked in a footbath with epsome salts quite a few times, and for me, I would say that it's more beneficial for the PsA problems that the actual P. And, if I don't dry right off and put major moisturizing cream on and cover them with socks, it's kinda a bad situation, cuz it makes me very dry. Seeing how dry my feet got, I probably would never soak in a 'tub' of it, as my body has areas that are thickly 100% covered, and I'm thinking it would be a bad, bad drying agent.

'Sea Salts' dont dry me out as much, and feel really relaxing as well to sore areas. I have soaked in a tub with these, various kinds and brands, quite a few times. No results for my P, but still I would saythey had benefits, as they relaxed me, and my muscles, and had a nice "texture."

I've also done the "Dead Sea Salts" routine before. Soaked in the salts, and have used "Dead Sea Salt soap" before too. Again, It didn't change my P at all, but I sure took alot of relaxing, quiet baths!!!

I hope you have better results than I did! I have 4 types of P, and the plaques on my legs have been at 100% coveragemany many times, and very very thick at timesalso, over these many years... maybe differrent results for different types, thickness, coverages?

Keep yer chin up, and see how it works for ya, if thats what you decide you wanna do! Whatever you decide, we're here to root you on!!!

Have a good one... Chrissy

Hello Chrissy!

I soak for 20 minutes.. Then is gently rub my legs to remove the dry skin - it rolls right off! Then I get out and put on some Eucerin lotion (rite aid) brand! Wait 30 minutes and do a light treatment! I am clear. I also just had my third shot of Humira. I am having a little bit of a injection site reaction - it itches and is red around the area on my belly. I am going to call the doctor tomorrow!

** Originally posted by ChrissyRae414 **

That's SO awesome, deedee! I am SO very happy!!! Not happy to hear about a site reaction though:( Hope your Dr. has some helpful advice, that has to be uncomfortable for ya! May I ask exactly which salts, and brand name, you use? I'm always curious about things that help other people out, and since I've had this for so long, what once didn't work 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 years ago, may now... thanks so much!!

** Originally posted by Cappy72 **

For those having difficulty finding sea salt or that want to buy it in bulk and not wanting to go through ebay (or if ebay is out), here's another source:

http://www.ediblenature.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8328

Something I haven't thought of (and I really don't know the difference since we aren't eating the stuff) but I've seen PetSmart sell Oceanic Sea Salt for aquariums in 26 lb bags for $34.99.

** Originally posted by Tvfarmer **

I bought a 30lb bag of deadsea salts about three years ago and have about 15lbs left I even make my own soap with it. I use one of the large "stadium" cups(20oz?) per soak.
this looks like a pretty good price on bulk.

http://www.chemistrystore.com/Dead_Sea_Salts-Dead_Sea_Salts_Fine_3.html

I ordered mine sea salt of ebay! 20lbs for 22.00! I have only used it once so far! I am in doing great right now. My legs are clear except for some hyperpigmentation! My elbows still have a tiny spot on each - but that's it.

Nice and that's $22 shipped! Great deal!

I just ordered me some as well.

Hello Chrissy!

I soak for 20 minutes.. Then is gently rub my legs to remove the dry skin - it rolls right off! Then I get out and put on some Eucerin lotion (rite aid) brand! Wait 30 minutes and do a light treatment! I am clear. I also just had my third shot of Humira. I am having a little bit of a injection site reaction - it itches and is red around the area on my belly. I am going to call the doctor tomorrow!

How often per week do you soak? Is there a limit to it or a point reached where it would be considered wasting it?

I soak for 20-30 minutes. I am trying the dead sea salts now that I ordered! My skin is clear 100%... I had moderate pp.. I have been doing home nb uvb pansol. Started humira 3 weeks also, but do not think that is what cleared me. I think the epsom, lotion and lights are my trick. I just hadn't been consistent enough with my home unit, too busy. But now I am doing this 3-4 times per week. 3-4 minutes each side. I see the rheumy this week on thurs, so ill keep ya posted!

That's SO awesome, deedee! I am SO very happy!!! Not happy to hear about a site reaction though:( Hope your Dr. has some helpful advice, that has to be uncomfortable for ya! May I ask exactly which salts, and brand name, you use? I'm always curious about things that help other people out, and since I've had this for so long, what once didn't work 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 years ago, may now... thanks so much!!

Ebay, it's free shipping! I bought 20 pounds, will last long time. I just buy generic epsome salt at kmart... epsom comes in 5 pound bag. wondering if sams club carries is in bigger amounts?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders