Scalp Psoriasis and Hair Dying

Seeing the email today from the NPF about scalp psoriasis and seeing your hair dresser. It got me thinking about my want to dye my hair. I have recently decided on dying my hair a little darker than what it is now. I have scalp psoriasis and just use some TGel for it every now and then but nothing has help.

Just wondering if anyone who has scalp psoriasis has dyed their hair before and what the results have been. Did it make it worse, flare even bigger? Let me know!

25 replies. Join the discussion

Hi! I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but honestly last time I colored my hair, it made my scalp P way worse! :( I had a flare that lasted for 2 weeks!! But I will continue to do it bc I go grey way too fast! I think I will see if there is a way to cover my P with vaseline or something to protect it.....good luck! :)

Tara :)

Well, i used just for men touch of grey a few times a few years ago and my scalp P didnt flare. I dont know much about hair dye though so it may not be the same thing. Thats my 2 cents

Hey!
I was nervous to dye my hair for a long time, but I finally went and did it. I didn't want my psoriasis to control how I lived my life. I have dyed my hair darker plenty of times and find that it really doesn't bother my scalp that much! I have also used highlighting kits and I would say that those are more harsh on skin than the dye.

I found that my skin is sensitive, but not to a point that I have to do anything other than the usual taking my makeup off at night, washing and exfoliating and moisturizing etc... If you don't react to regular lotions, perfumes etc, then I would say go for it! Be cautious and if you start to feel your scalp burn or become more sensitive while you wait for the solution to finish developing, rinse it off.

Good luck! :)

I have serious scalp psoriasis and use a product called Wella...its a semi permanent and its very gentle. Thats the only stuff that I can handle. I am so thankful cause if I didnt have that I would be grey i am sure...:) I am up in Canada so not sure if the States has this product or not. My hairdresser recommended it. All the best!

I wouldn't recommend using any kind of color process on your hair if you have any cracking in your skin. OUCH! Going darker, though, I think is less harsh than going lighter. Like others have mentioned, too, the semi-permanent and demi-permanent colors are less harsh than fully permanent, too. Going to a salon, too, might be a better choice than box dye, since the stylist can control the amount of developer, where in a box dye you can't.

For multiple reasons, I switched to all natural hair dye. I'm currently using henna, which applies a reddish stain, but there are other options like indigo and cassia. My only complaint is that, without the chemicals, it takes longer to color my hair. (it's kind of messy, too.) The henna, though, is very calming to my skin and I think it actually helps my scaly spots.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

I had thought about henna, but it sounded like such a big mess. I use permanent, peroxide based color on my hair and the last time I did it (about 2 weeks ago), I thought I was going to die. My scalp itched and burned terribly and it also colored the p so they really stood out on my scalp. I have been in a quandry as to what I should do because I refuse to be gray, I want to be a red head! I thought about semi perm and rinses but you have to do them more often. Oh and yes I have been in a terrible flare since I colored.

Do what works for you and good luck!

Once again, thanks for all the advice and suggestions! It really helps. And like always, it's going to affect everyone differently just hope it not in a bad way!

Hey,if making your hair color darker makes you feel better then,,DO IT! Hair color does not necessarily cause a flare up or can worsen your scalp psoriasis.Everyones reaction can be different. I would definitely do scalp treatment overnight prior to applying the color. You can use a oil and med cocktail from your doctor or something over the counter to loosen up the plaques. Comb through your scalp and be careful not to irritate it. The only thing to be aware of is that in heavy plaque areas the dye may stain it. Did you ever use OLUX or LIQUIX foam? It really helped me control my scalp psoriasis. Just another thought.....you can foil in some low lights too. This method does not sit on the scalp. Good Luck and Feel good about yourself!

I dye my haier with preference by loreal and it actually helps to clear up my psoriasis . my daughter said it helps cl hers too and she uses ferria [sp] and she has no problem . BUt everyone is different so do a patch test.
cathy from ma

I dye my hair and my scalp psoriasis will not go away. Its a pain in the ass but dying my hair makes me feel better so I do what makes me feel good. I have lived with this shit my whole life and probably will until the day I die so why not enjoy life while you can. Its a give and take kind of thing with psoriasis...your damned if you do and damned if you dont. hehehehe

Have a great day!

Joyce

At fsnk I have used Olux before. It helped for a little while but that was about it. Haven't found anything to permanently help- who has I guess lol

I already feel great about myself :) I'm just moving to Seattle and living in Maui has lighten my hair a lot. So Im thinking "new start, new hair" :)

Definately, if you're going to have your hair dyed by a stylist, talk to your stylist about your scalp P. Mine has changed the product that he uses which helps it to not burn for hours if not days afterwards.

Here's a posting on scalp psoriasis and glycerin, tho' not related to dying:

http://www.inspire.com/groups/talk-psoriasis/discussion/scalp-psoriasis-40/ ?id=2209490

One thing I would caution: don't apply glycerin and dye at the same time, as it enhances skin absorption of anything it's mixed with.

I have serious scalp psoriasis and have been dying my hair (roots every 4 weeks) for 20 yrs. or more. Personally, I find it actually helps and gets rid of some of the flake build-up. It's never hurt or made my P worse.

Hello, I actually just did my hair yesterday! I went dark as well and it really kinda burned at first but then went away, i too have scalp p. Although it burned I suffered through. I didn't notice my P getting any worse it actually stopped the itching for the remainder of the evening. :)

This is all so helpful. I am definitely going to do it. Now the only thing I have to do is call in advance and see if anyone at the salon knows about scalp psoriasis..... Hmmm.... I hope they do!

I dye my hair regularly because it clears up my scalp psoriasis - especially if it's flared up and sore and scaly. The dye burns slightly and makes your scalp itchy during the dying process, but the psoraisis clears up immediately afterwards. I told my doctor and she said to keep dying my hair. Works better than the tar shampoos and other products out there for treatment of psoraisis.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
I do suffer with scalp psoriasis and I do have my hair colored in the beauty salon and I actually have had no problem, in fact it helps life the scabs. I will not walk around with grey hair. My condition is sometimes fine and then again there are times like now that the sores are quite visible. Please let me know how you make out.

Thanks for the replies... my husband isn't crazy about me dying my hair so hopefully I can get him on my side :) and I still want to look for a salon and ask them if anyone there does know anything about scalp psoriasis before I go.

I have dyed my hair a hundred times before. I was just recently diagnosed and the last time I dyed it burnt like all he'll! ( at this time I didnt know I had p. Thought it was dry scalp) it's never burnt like that so it has to be related. I would talk to ur hair dresser, aloof actually know about p!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders