saran wrap!

** Originally posted by ericaleigh **

Hey everyone...so just thought i'd tell all of you a tip i heard not too long ago that actually has helped my skin. USE SARAN WRAP. if you have topical medication, put it on as you would normally, then put on a thick moisturizer like Devil's Club Soothing Rub--> http://back-bay-botanicals.com/

(I've used Olux foam and then the Soothing Rub in the past; recently used Fluocinonide and Champori)

After putting on both the medication and the moisturizer, wrap the affected areas in saran wrap to hold in the moisture. I do this before bed at night. I'll admit, it is a little uncomfortable but the results are worth it. You will notice a change the next morning. Your skin is smooth and not flaky and the redness will be a little less.

My skin is starting to heal. I have GP everywhere on my body, mainly on my arms, hands and legs, but also have it on my torso, face, back, and scalp. Using saran wrap really helps lock in the medication and the moisture. Just an fyi...having someone help you put on the saran wrap is best!

I have been doing other at home treatments so I thought I'd share those with you as well because I'm not sure which one is working best. I take Dead Sea Salt bath at least 3 times a week in warm water--> http://www.saltworks.us/bokek_deadseasalt.html

I also have been using Champori spray and cream--> http://www.champori.com/

I tan in tanning beds a few times a week (careful not to burn!) And at my tanning salon there is a special bed called the Hydration Station--> http://www.solariumtanningsalon.com/hydrationstation.html I have only used it once. It comes with different aromatherapy options and I chose the Mineral Melanin concentrate. In this concentrate there are Dead Sea Salt minerals and also used Lavender aromatherapy (which is said to be good for psoriasis sufferers). The website i listed says it uses coconut and tangerine aromatherapy, but I guess it's different everywhere. It was relaxing and could have helped my P.

This is a lot of info but I hope it helps!!

7 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Followell **

Erica
Thanks for the great tip! It's always good to hear about something that works!
Many of my meds (ointments, etc) say "use under occlusion" which means "cover it up!"
So I think I will try the Saran Wrap!

** Originally posted by skunkworks **

Hello Erica,Your Post brought back memories,I was Plastic wrap baby back in the 70's,Your right it is excellent in keeping the moisture in and keeps the flakes from falling in the bed sheets.

** Originally posted by joelietz **

That's an interesting tip, I haven't tried that one yet. I'm surprised too that you go to a tanning salon with your skin condition. I'm amazed that that helps and I might try that myself in the future. Thanks for the tips!

----------------------------------
complete beauty salon pos systems

Hello Erica,Your Post brought back memories,I was Plastic wrap baby back in the 70's,Your right it is excellent in keeping the moisture in and keeps the flakes from falling in the bed sheets.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi joelietz,
welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good day all

richard

** Originally posted by apugh **

I used plastic occlusion when I first developed psoriasis back in the mid 80's. You may want to consult with your DERM if you are going to use occlusion as speeding the effects of the topical ointment could have some adverse effects. I only used it in the start of the P mostly because it was uncomfortable waking at night drenched in sweat from wearing a joggers plastic bag to speed the results of the topical steroid.

** Originally posted by FuturePerfect **

I actually tried this before as part of my natural treatment experimentation when I first developed psoriasis. Experimentation is kind of the way I deal with problems so I won't let myself get stressed or depressed about it. I did it in smaller areas to begin with, but actually found a cotton blend cut into strips worked better for me, the same material in overnight gloves and socks that hold in moisturizers, and alot more comfortable.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi futureperfect,
welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good day all

richard

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders