Rheumatic Fever

** Originally posted by robwilliams **

I was diagnosed with RF when I was 12 years old. I was on Antibiotics for quite a while. I remember it very well as I was in soo much pain I couldn't even walk, my parents had to push me around in a wheel chair. My Mother told me, that my Doctor said it started as a Strep Throat, isn't that strange that something like a sore throat can develop into something as painful as Rheumatic Fever. It wasn't long after, I started having the problems I have now. I was just wondering if anyone else here ever had RF when they were younger and if it was somehow connected to Psoriatic Arthritis or any other autoimmune disease. I have also been told by my Cardiologist, that I have some heart valve problems due to RF. I guess that is why I have the Mitral Valve Prolapse too, I don't know, might just be coincidence, I never asked. Anyone here been diagnosed with Mitral Prolapse and if you were, did they tell you what might have caused it?

Rob

7 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by nyoki **

I don't know whether RF is connected to Ps and PsA, but strep is. I'm curious what others have to say.

** Originally posted by keegan62 **

I also had RF as a child.... got that at 8 had P at age 2 When I get strep sometimes do not run fever so it was really sneaky....... at age 16 I had first attack of PA......
When I got P 60 years ago the doctors were shocjked that I ahd it that young... never saw that before but again 60 years ago////

** Originally posted by robwilliams **

I also had RF as a child.... got that at 8 had P at age 2 When I get strep sometimes do not run fever so it was really sneaky....... at age 16 I had first attack of PA......
When I got P 60 years ago the doctors were shocjked that I ahd it that young... never saw that before but again 60 years ago////

Do you, by any chance, have Mitral Valve Prolapse with your Heart?

Rob

** Originally posted by keegan62 **

no mitral valve right now

** Originally posted by LittleMermaid **

I as well am very interested in this topic. Hi I am new to the site, recently diagnosed with PsA after 4years seeing neurologists who could not figure out what was wrong and told me I was clinically depressed and needed to seek a behavioral therapist. BAH!

Anyhoo, I had strep throat many times throughout childhood but never had a sore throat, everytime I would get dizziness and run a fever before we found out and the doctor told my mother each time that I was on the verge of rhuematic fever. I have huge tonsil and still have them to date. I am now 46yrs old.

My interest is has anyone else had strep titers run? I have copies of lab work where they ran strep titers and mine were always extremely high 498 up to 694. Yet not one time did any doctor say anything about those results. Why did they even run them then?

Has ayone else run into this?

Thanks
LittleMermaid

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi littlemeraid,
im sorry that i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you. maybe some one will come through and help with your ?

try and have a good weekend all

richard

** Originally posted by nyoki **

Hi and welcome LittleMermaid. There is a type of Ps that is associated w/ strep. I don't remember which, but I'm sure someone who knows will be in soon. You'll find great people w/ lots of info, advice and understanding on these boards. Feel free to ask any question (and I do mean any question) and someone will be by soon enough to help you.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders