Reishi Mushrooms - Immune System Regulators

** Originally posted by jorel-1 **

Here ya go, gang. Some may be really interested in hearing this.

I came across this last night while reading my book, The Natural Medicine Chest (A book on medicinal herbs and healing foods).

The Reishi Mushroom -

The Reishi Mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum) is particularly rich in polysaccharides. Branched polysaccarides are giant carbohydrate molecules that have a direct effect on the REGULATION OF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM.

It goes on to say that Reishi Mushrooms are especially useful because they are a true adaptogen. Adaptogens are substances that regulate bilogical processes by either increasing or decreasing their activity, whichever action is needed by the body at that particular time.

As you might suspect, as soon as I read that, I wondered if these mushrooms would be of any benefit for clearing psoriasis, an auto-immune disorder.

A couple of other tid bits regarding this mushroom:
The Reishi Mushroom grows on decaying trees.
The Reishi Mushroom is considered a "superior herb" in traditional Chinese medicine.
It was also know as the "Mushroom of Immortality".
It is used as a staple in the health regimine of the Japanese.
It's been used for at least 2,500 years.
Recently, there has been a wealth of scientific research that is documenting the efficacy of the Reishi Mushroom. Studies have appeared in the Chemical Pharmacological Bulletin, New England Journal of Medicine and many other scientific journals.
During studies at a major university in Osaka, Japan, the Reshi Mushroom was shown to reduce histamine release. Histamines are substances that are released in an overabundance during an allergic reaction. That makes the Reishi an excellent antihistamine.
The Reishi Mushroom also protects the liver from free radical damage and the effects of toxic chemicals.
Ganoderic acids also found in the Reishi Mushroom, increase oxygen utilization by cells in the body. Increased oxygen utilization aids in heart irregularities such as angina and also helps with memory loss by increasing oxygen use in the brain.

If I still had psoriasis, the Reishi Mushroom is definitely something that I would try.

Anyone else ever tried it or interested in trying it? If so, let me know and I will give you the book's instructions on how to use it

Jgirl? Dulane?

20 replies. Join the discussion

bumping this up

** Originally posted by alanc **

More on mushrooms and the immune system. Mushrooms can be expensive but reseach looks excellent. I'd consider this (still am) if I wasn't doing so well.

The CANCER RESEARCH CAMPAIGN commissioned a literature study in November 2000 and the results were published in August 2002. In the Orient, there has long been the recognition that certain edible mushrooms can have profound health benefits. The Report dealt with Oyster, Shiitake and Maitake mushrooms. While the role of medicinal mushrooms in immunomodulation and anti-cancer activities was the central theme to the Report, comment was also made that many of the medicinal mushrooms have been highly valued for other medicinal properties relating to high blood pressure, diabetes, anti-viral, anti-bacterial and antioxidant and free radical scavenging. It is thought that the shiitake mushroom provides significant protection against flu because it resembles the structure of the flu virus and encourages the production of white blood cells. Shiitake mushrooms contain anti-fungal substances which are particularly beneficial because they also stimulate the immune system. Mushrooms may also help prevent psoriasis. For further information, go to http://www.cancerresearchuk.org or phone the Cancer Research UK Press Office on 0207 242 0200. Research is in progress on the benefits of mushrooms for the treatment of some cancers. For further information please contact: http://sci.cancerresearchuk.org/labs/med_mush/med_mush.html

RHODES Jonathan M., The University of Liverpool, Department of Medicine, University Clinical Departments, Liverpool L69 3GA, U.K., Tel: +44 (0)151 706 4073, Fax: +44 (0)151 706 5802.
E-mail: ukrhodesjm@liverpool.ac.uk

http://www.moonbowmedia.com/health/mgn3.htm

** Originally posted by shanemilehi **

I was under the impression that mushrooms were really bad for people with candidas. I am not sure that there is a connection between candias and p but I am pretty sure that I have some candidas issues. Does anyone have an opinion on this??

** Originally posted by jgirl **

hmmm..I have been given them in chinese herbal formulas to ward off a cold /flu in it's early stages, but that is my only experience with them...I never considered them for p because I hadn't read antything about them being connected...If I try anything beyond what I am already doing, it is probably just going to be a higher percentage of raw foods again and goji juice, which has been shown in studies to regulate t-cell activity and there is evvidence that it helps p. Anyways, it's extremely dense nutritionally and tastes good, so it can't hurt.

Thanks for the added info on mushrooms, alanc. Much appreciated.

shanemilehi -
Are you taking a pro-biotic (Acidophilus) for that candida?

** Originally posted by MrsBowhunter **

Jor-El,

Are these mushrooms readily available? One of the biggest problems I am having with the dietary changes is that I cannot vary my food intake too much due to inaccessabillity to the foods that are permitted or some of the expense.

I also have some concern about calcium. I need to investigate some calcium rich foods that are part of the "plan". I currently drink skim milk, but try to keep it at ony a serving or too as it is a dairy product. I also eat spinach every day and have tried tofu for the first time at dinner time last night. Never thought I'd see myself eating that stuff, but whatever works I'm willing to try at this point.

Thanks for your help and the advice that you have been supplying. I would have been one of the biggest skeptics a few months ago.

Natalie

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

Natalie....you might want to check this page out on Dr. Carolyn Deans book.She has done a study on magnesium....(calcium's partner)
make sure you read the reviews towards the bottom also......

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345445880/qid=1112797918/sr=2-1/ref =pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-6548467-7227937

it opened my eyes on calcium needs (which we do need) but also the more important mineral (and hard to assimilate-magnesium)
and here is one person's quote I found interesting....

"Magnesium expert Mildred Seelig tells us that the side effects of many drugs may be associated with magnesium deficiency because MAGNESIUM BECOMES DEPLETED WHILE THE BODY IS TRYING TO DETOXIFY DRUGS."

A cup of spinach has 3 times the amount of calcium as a cup of milk, so you should be in good hands in that aspect. Your body can't really absorb the calcium from dairy products anyway, that is just a myth the dairy community propagates to stay in business. There is even evidence to suggets it might actually leech chemicals from our body, but enough about that...The other highest calcium rich food I know of is seseame seed milk. Here's a recipe.

soak one cup of seseame seeds overnight in filtered water to activate the enzymes and make them super digestible. In the morning, drain, and blend with two cups of water and a tablesoon of honey or agave in a blender, Squeeze through a cheesecloth or sprout bag and WALLAH! Fresh raw sesame seed milk. YOu can use this recipe with any nut or seed...almond, sunflower etc...the soaking is the important part...

Jor-El,

Are these mushrooms readily available? One of the biggest problems I am having with the dietary changes is that I cannot vary my food intake too much due to inaccessabillity to the foods that are permitted or some of the expense.

I also have some concern about calcium. I need to investigate some calcium rich foods that are part of the "plan". I currently drink skim milk, but try to keep it at ony a serving or too as it is a dairy product. I also eat spinach every day and have tried tofu for the first time at dinner time last night. Never thought I'd see myself eating that stuff, but whatever works I'm willing to try at this point.

Thanks for your help and the advice that you have been supplying. I would have been one of the biggest skeptics a few months ago.

Natalie

jgirl is correct. Cow's milk is for calves and mother's milk is for infants. After infancy, get your calcium from other sources. Spinach is an excellent choice.

During the pasteurization process, the enzyme that make cow's milk properly digestible to humans is destroyed.

Natalie -

Yes, inaccessibility and expense are definitely problems that are not easily solved.

You might try asking a local grocer if they would consider stocking them. At least for a short while. Enough time to try them to see if they have any beneficial effect.

Doing a search on the internet is another idea that you might want to try. Check and see if there are any affordable mail order sources for the reishi mushroom.

That is - if you are still interested in try them.

I'm glad you are getting something out of my posts. Thanks.

Best -

John

** Originally posted by matter2003 **

Very interesting...

I have looked and have found some reishi mushroom capsules that can be bought at fairly reasonable prices. Will try this if slippery elm/milk thistle/saffron arent doing the trick or arent working as well as i think they should...

Matter2003

Great!!! Keep us informed of what happens should you try the Reishi Mushrooms, matter2003.

If you do start incorporating them into your regimine, stay with it for a couple of months. Give it a good chance to see if anything happens.

I'm kind of curious about this.

got my goji juice today...YUM! :)

Hugo Goji, you go.

** Originally posted by Dulane **

Kombucha is a detoxifier. It isn't actually a mushroom, but it kinda grows like one and it looks like one. You don't eat it, tho, you drink the tea you make with it. (Regular Lipton style tea.)

Here's a link for more info:
http://www.earthcalls.com/kombucha/index.shtml

I've been using it since February, and I really like it. I drink it from a fancy champagne glass. It helps people with skin conditions, allegies, high blood pressure and more; has enzymes and 'healthy yeasts' including some acidophilus.

I don't think it is as powerful as reishi tho. And, if anyone wants one, I have several I'd like to find homes for. All you need is some lipton or green tea and a Sun Tea jar. I'm serious, please let me know if want some.

Dulane

** Originally posted by TopOp **

Just to ad I think there are over 35.000 types og mushrooms

That's a lot of fungi.

So are you. You're a fun guy, Jor-El :p

Ooo, that's clever !!!

Thanks, jgirl

** Originally posted by uk_mom **

i am reviving this thread by asking again.... has anybody tried ganoderma for p and what was the outcome?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders