Questions about Humara/Enbril

** Originally posted by jboswellnyc **

I've had light to moderate psoriasis for about 15 years. It got progressively worse.
I fianally tried Raptiva, which worked. It gave me aches and pains, but I didn't care, because it worked. I took it for about 5 months. However, when I stopped taking it, the psoriasis came back with a VENGENCE!!!!!!! I had psoriasis in places I had never had it. It was horrible. And it came back VERY FAST!

A year later I tried Enbril. This total treatment was about 4 months. With Enbril, the psoriasis cleared up faster than Raptiva, and no side effects. Toward the end of treatment my doc switched to Humara for insurance reasons. I liked it because the injections were every two weeks. And although the psoriasis came back, it took about 4 months to become out of control. So I like that it lasted longer, but I don't know if it was the Enbril or the Humara, as I started with Enbril and ended with Humara.

My question is for those who have tried all injectable treatments.

Which was better? Enbril or Humara? Please elaborate! My last choice would be Raptiva.

My former P.A, who is incredible, Patricia Clark, Bellaire Dermatology, Houston, Texas, was so great at helping me. She, unlike MOST Derm.'s actually touched the plaques, inspecting them. Unfortunately I've moved to New York and am seeing a new Derm., and am getting ready for a new treatment.

Is Humara better? Why? Is Enbrel better? Why? I liked how the Enbril was fast. I don't mind self-injecting. It was worth the akwardness at first to clear up the psoriasis. But every two weeks is better on my "out of pocket" costs.

Which is better? Anybody?

I've heard that the Humara can be taken for extended periods of time, with regular blood work. Anyone know any long term COMMON side-effects to either drug?

Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated. I"m just trying to prepare myself for my next treatment.

Anyone know of a GREAT Derm. in NYC???

11 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Hi Jboswell,

Welcome to the board. :cool: Nice to meet you.

I'm the co-leader of the NPF affiliated support group that meets on the last Tuesday of every month in New York City. (Our next meeting is Tuesday, April 29, 2008 at 7:00 p.m.) We meet at Rockefeller University Hospital (http://www.rucares.org/), which is on the campus of Rockefeller University (http://www.rockefeller.edu/) which is located at:

1230 York Avenue
New York, NY 10065

It's kind of sort of across the street from Memorial Sloan Kettering cancer center. Unfortunately, it's also about as far from the subway as you can get and still be in City. The closest subway stops are 68th Street - Hunter College on the 6 train (the Lexington Avenue line) and Lexington Avenue on the F train (the Sixth Avenue line). It would be great if you can join us. As wonderful as these boards as, there's really nothing quite like being in the same place at the same time as other people who are dealng with the same issues that we all face every day.

Anyone know of a GREAT Derm. in NYC???

Dr Jacob Levitt (http://www.mountsinai.org/Find%20A%20Doctor/profile.do?id=00000725000014972 27342&officeDrawer=pat) from Mt. Sinai hospital spoke at our last meeting. He was wonderful! I know two patients of his and they both speak very highly of him.

I've met Dr. Mark G. Lebwohl (http://www.mountsinai.org/Find%20A%20Doctor/profile.do?id=00000725000014971 24382&officeDrawer=pat
at several NPF funtions. He seems very nice. He's the chair of the dermatology department at Mt. Sinai. He's also the chair of the NPF's medical board ( http://www.psoriasis.org/aboutus/inside/medical_board.php).

I've also met Dr. Bruce Strober (http://www.med.nyu.edu/clinicians/strobb01.html) from NYU at several NPF functions. He also seems very nice and he's also on the NPF's medical board (http://www.psoriasis.org/aboutus/inside/medical_board.php).

I have several friends who are patients of Dr. Steven R. Cohen at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx: (http://www.montefiore.org/physiciandirectory/index.cfm?provider=11115455&ro w=1). They all speak VERY highly of him. Unfortunately, I hear through the grapevine that he's not taking new patients (I would call and plead my case) and Montefiore is not exactly around the corner. (It's on Gun Hill Road, which is the next to the last stop on the D train.)

You cannot go wrong with any of the above doctors.

I hope this helps.

Good luck. Keep us posted and I hope to see you at one of our meetings.

Mike

** Originally posted by sfondiler **

I have been on Enbrel for about 18 months. It took over six months to really start working but within 8 months, my skin was COMPLETELY CLEAR. It was a miracle. However, over the last few months, the psoriasis is coming back even though I'm still on thew Enbrel. Am I the only one this has happened too. It's very depressing. Iam thinking about stopping but am afraid of what will happen. I've thought about switching to Humira but am not sure how my body will react. Has anyone gone from Enbrel to Humira with good results?

** Originally posted by TJM718 **

Hi. I've lived in NYC my whole life. I've had P for 30 years. I can send you a list of my derms if you send me a private message.

I have had great success on Humira. I was on Enbrel for awhile but like the 2x a month schedule of Humira.

You should definitely come to the next support group. You'll meet me, Mike K, and some other nice people.

Well, keep us posted. I hope you find relief soon. You can find a good derm in the city. We had one speak at our last meeting. He was great.

** Originally posted by MikeTC **

jbos,

It sounds like you stopped taking Humira & Enbrel after they're working; why did you stopped? I tried both and found them to be comparable in their results but Humira is half the dosage (half the injections and half the pain) so that's my favorite.

FYI, I had PA and P; although they both were effective on PA, Humira or Enbrel were not effective on my P until I added UVB treatment to Humira. I’m now 100% cleared and presently on Humira once every two weeks for maintenance.

From what I read is that we need to be on some type of treatment (Humira, UVB etc…) even when we’re 100% cleared; P or PA may come back more angrier than ever if the treatments were stopped. I don’t want to chance it since it is working so well. Just my $0.02.

** Originally posted by bratb1 **

Hi

I have been on both Enbrel and Humira. I was on Enbrel for about a year and a half and it had great results. My derm is not really sure why it stopped working for me. It is my understanding that some people have great long term results from Enbrel so I do not want to discourage you from using it. I am currently on Humira and my skin is almost clear. My derm told me that it is not uncommon to have to go back and forth between the two, found that odd, but he is a great doctor. I have no out of pocket cost after my first 2 months on Humira and paid about $75.00 for my co-pay on enbrel. I guess that depends on your insurance coverage. One really great thing I like about Humira is the injections are not as frequent as Enbrel. I have not had any side effects from Humira or Enbrel.
Take good care
BratB

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi sfondiler and jboswell,
welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good night all

richard

** Originally posted by psilka **

I have been on Enbrel for about 18 months. It took over six months to really start working but within 8 months, my skin was COMPLETELY CLEAR. It was a miracle. However, over the last few months, the psoriasis is coming back even though I'm still on thew Enbrel. Am I the only one this has happened too. It's very depressing. Iam thinking about stopping but am afraid of what will happen. I've thought about switching to Humira but am not sure how my body will react. Has anyone gone from Enbrel to Humira with good results?

was on Enbrel 3 yrs, P began coming back slowly after 18mo.just took my first double dose if Humira. After 4 days no adverse side effects. none evr experienced with Enbrel. Enbrel took about 2mo to start showing improvement.eventually 75% clear.-Joe

** Originally posted by RJ **

First off I have had P for 30 yrs getting more sever as I got older 49 now used enbril for 8 mo 3yrs ago went into remission for 15 months started to flare 10 m0n ago had become sever again have stared humira last friday and Im starting tosee and feel relive all ready so if you can afford it (im in Canada and its about 3500. a month) it would be worth a try.( edit) should have looked at the date of your post lol this info is probable of little value to you now

hi r j,
welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

try and have a good day all

richard

** Originally posted by benny10 **

Hi Guys,

I am struggling to decide on which Biologic to start. I like Stelara for the infrequent shots. but Stelara does not have the long term safety of Embrel and Humira.
I am thinking of going with Humira due to it's reported safety profile and the higher efficacy over Embrel. The warnings do look frightening on any of these Bilogics. Can someone help ? Anyone know of bad things happening with Humira?
The p is really starting to take over my life.....need releif. What to do ?

hi benny,
im sorry that i can't help much with your ?. but i can bump you to the top and maybe some one will come through and help:). i wish you the best

merry christmas all

richard

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders