Psoriatic Arthritis & Feet

** Originally posted by folsomgirl **

Does anyone have any info regarding psoriatic arthritis of the feet . . .
I have this problem in both feet and the pain is awful. Sometimes I can't walk.
I'm considering asking my doctor about physical therapy or something and
I was curious if anyone out there has any experience with pa feet pain.
Thanks

18 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by happeeturtle **

I don't have any experience in this area, but I've read different posts with others discussing their problems. You can try a search, but I wouldn't be surprised if others come along with some advise.

I hope you find some relief soon!!

** Originally posted by Ranger05 **

O yea, thats where it hit me the worse. Terrible pain. Felt like my feet were broken in about million pieces. The tops of both feet felt broken. The bottoms felt like two giant bruises. I could barly walk. It was awful. I believe foot pain is very common w/ PsA.

** Originally posted by Flycaster **

Oh yes indeed! Both of my big toes are swollen with arthritic build-up and the joints feel like I have broken glass in them much of the time...also, my left heel/lower achilles is red, swollen and hurts like heck too. In fact I got so tired of waiting for the DMARD to kick in (Imuran) that I finally gave up and went down to the clinic and got both toes shot up with ketorolac today which should buy me about 3-4 months of relief. My rheumy is going to give me a hard time for this, but I truly don't care - let him walk around on glass for a few months and see how *he* likes it....

You are not alone.

** Originally posted by bperwien **

Yes for me. It was the second thing to go for me. I was hobbled for months untill I saw a podiatrist and got some orthodics. I was not diagnosed at the time for PsA I just thought because I was heavy (same weight for 3 years 250 lbs.) and my feet were just starting to fall apart. I walked like a little old lady in the mornings and limped around the rest of the day. Got Orthodics, really expensive shoe inserts and they made an immidiate change in my walk....not pain. I highly recomend trying them even though they are expensive, I know it has saved me from allot of pain once PsA started affecting me.

** Originally posted by mariaoneill **

My PsA showed up initially as foot pain. I went to the podiatrist who tried a number of things, including surgery, I went back to my GP who ordered some more tests. Next stop--the rheumy who DX'd PsA. I still have a lot of feet pain, especially in my left heel--I now wear a brace that keeps it in good shape. Achilles tendonitis is very common with PsA. The orthotics in the shoes do help, but the brace helps more. Unfortunately, the pain is now moving to my right heel so I may have to get another brace. Lovely disease, isn't it? Keep your chin up and don't hesitate to get the help and support you need!
Maria

** Originally posted by wjhauber **

You might start by categorizing what kind of pain you are having. Is it in the joints? Are your tendons sore? Is it muscle pain?

Some folks with RA have peripheral neuropathy and have nasty nerve pain. Luckily that is rare in PsA.

Anyway, I am fairly new to arthritis but have had to help my wife with visits to a pain clinic in the past. The pain clinic doctors always wanted to figure out what kind of pain she was having because the treatment was different for each type. We had to visit neurologists too...they were even more picky about pain location that the pain clinic doctors :-)

There is an awful of lot of pain info to read. Maybe if you knew for sure where the pain originated from, you could focus you search.

** Originally posted by szorzi **

Yes, both ankles and toes. PA also likes to cause Achilles tendenitis and plantar fasciitis. Google each of those terms with the word "exercises" and you will find some good stretching exercise to do that will help that pain. I do them daily to prevent a recurrence.

** Originally posted by malone7384 **

I am right there with you. Have days when it feels like I am walking on glass. My big toes are also affected pretty bad.

** Originally posted by Barn **

Spent a month at foot doctor thinking it was plantar fasciitis, gout or capsulitis. Tried anti-inflamitories, shots and steriods. It finally turned into a sausage toe on each foot. Finally, put two and two together after having a severe psoriasis outbreak soon after. The went to a rheumatologist to verify.

** Originally posted by chrisr01 **

My little toe and big toe on one foot are very painful...
also my heel hurts!

** Originally posted by HopesAndDreams01 **

Yep, feet hurt. not very fun at all. I forget what they call it but I walk on the outsides of my feet, really bad....and that causes alot of problems. I can't walk around barefoot because then it feels like all the bones in my feet are trying to flatten out against the ground and it hurts! Both of my heels are very sensitive. I try to walk like a normal person, with the whole bottom of my feet on the floor, but that doesn't work. The foot doctor also pointed out that I have very little mobility in my ankles. Ugh....just know yeah it's a symptom, and yeah it hurts.

** Originally posted by frogwhiz **

I have issues with my left foot. It hurts off and on. Today...it is on. I can't describe the pain. Kinda like when your foot falls asleep...and it starts to wake up. It has that numbing painful feeling. It starts at my big toe and goes around my toes to the top of my foot to the outside of it. And I usually have swelling in the toes and ankle when it does this. That pain isn't usually sharp...just annoying.

Lisa :)

** Originally posted by butterfly78 **

Hi there,

I have PSA in my feet only and it is horrible. I have to use a wheelchair alot of the times, especially when there are long distances like shopping etc. When I have a flair I can't even rest my foot on the floor from the pain. The more I walk on them the more flares I have. Its a very fine balancing act.

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling pain as well. I'm currently taking Mthx, sulfasalazine and arava. I'm waiting for a perscription for Humira which I am praying will help, cause the thought of spending the rest of my life like this is almost unbearable.

I wish you luck in finding something that works for you.

BF

** Originally posted by folsomgirl **

You people are great! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me regarding PsA and foot pain. We have so much in common I can't believe it. The kind of pain, the 'sausage' toes, the heel pain, the 'broken glass' -
I've used these exact words to describe my pain.
What I didn't hear from most of you is how to treat it and I think it's because we've all learned to live with it and around it. Being off my feet with my feet elevated helps. Methotrexate injections help. Ultram 'helps' but not much and I try really hard to stay away from anything stronger.
I do use orthotics in my shoes but walking is very painful anyway.
Again, thank you for all your responses. It means a great deal to me. Folsomgirl

** Originally posted by TeenL **

You people are great! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me regarding PsA and foot pain. We have so much in common I can't believe it. The kind of pain, the 'sausage' toes, the heel pain, the 'broken glass' -
I've used these exact words to describe my pain.
What I didn't hear from most of you is how to treat it and I think it's because we've all learned to live with it and around it. Being off my feet with my feet elevated helps. Methotrexate injections help. Ultram 'helps' but not much and I try really hard to stay away from anything stronger.
I do use orthotics in my shoes but walking is very painful anyway.
Again, thank you for all your responses. It means a great deal to me. Folsomgirl

I had the exact symptoms of everyone here. Could literally barely walk (was on crunches). I started Enbrel and a week later I was walking up stairs without holding on to the railing. Enbrel is truly a miracle drug for me.

** Originally posted by ABrugge **

Does anyone have any info regarding psoriatic arthritis of the feet . . .
I have this problem in both feet and the pain is awful. Sometimes I can't walk.
...I was curious if anyone out there has any experience with pa feet pain.
Thanks

Yep, it really sucks. Left foot it the worst and winter is the worst time. I currently take MTX, Though as of Mon. I will be on Stelara, Diclofinac anti-inflammatory (SP?). MTX isn't doing enough and the anti inflammatory is making a possible but more likely questionable difference. It can be very difficult to walk some days impossible and this winter I started noticing it in my hip. Usually any given day I can feel my feet throbbing slightly.

A really big help is sandles on your feet whenever possible remove the preasure of shoes against your feet as much a possible. here's a good thread about that http://talkpsoriasis.org/showthread.php?t=37214

** Originally posted by neety41 **

I have stiffness in the bottoms of my feet, when i get out of bed or have been sitting for a while, it's weird, not agony but uncomfortable really, i have to walk downstairs one step at a time and very slowly

hi, im new here

ive got a question. has anyone heard of "compartment syndrome"?

my feet (soles) burn like crazy. stiffness and tightness through feet, ankles and calves.

the symtoms of compartment syndrome are similar.

so how much is my PA?

max

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders