PSORIASIS - WHAT NOT TO EAT

Hi I have had psoriasis for 2 years, like most folk it dies down and then reappears for no apparent reason. Ive been reading your blogs and see that a lot of folk change there diet, I dont have a bad diet but if changing it or even stop eating certain things will help my psorisais then I am willing to give it a go, as all the doctors say is that my psoriasis isn't extreme. Sooo does anyone have a 'general list' of what not to eat then please let me know :)

18 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Lucy77,

I know that one is not supposed to eat nightshades, which include tomatoes, potatos (yams are ok), peppers (black pepper is ok), eggplant and...(can't remember the rest). Many are avoiding gluten and dairy (non-fat yogurt is ok). There are 3 diets that many are following: Dr. Pagano, Paleo and Anti-inflammatory (Dr. Weil). I wish I could help you further, but hopefully some others will reply to you.

Good luck!!

foods not to eat include: dairy, red meat, pork, wheat, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, soy sauce.
foods to eat include: lots of green vegetables, other vegetables, fruits, gluten-free foods, flax seed, flax seed oil, chicken, fish, qionoa, beans, lentils
also, spend 15 minutes per day in sun without sunscreen

Summaries of Pagano Food Plan that many Inspire members rave about
http://www.pronash.com/en/psoriasis/diet-for-psoriasis-patients/

http://pinch.com/skin/docs/pagano.txt

Best to go slowly with big dietary changes I think, particularly if you are introducing lots of new foods,
All "healthy" foods arent necessarily healthy for everyone, if you can stand the tedium of keeping a food diary and writing down every thing you eat, just for a few weeks, its amazing what pops up -some foods can be irritating your P that you would never think of.
Sugar is pretty definitely awful, try to lose that first,it's a big help if you can, along with the soft drinks ,cakes ,and sweets, sadly.

I don't know how relevant this info still is but I look things up here, time to time. I keep reading quinoa being touted as safe, yet I've always read that it has high inflammation properties and so I avoid it. On this site you can enter a word in the search box. A positive number is anti-inflammatory, a negative number is a food with inflammatory properties. Think of "zero" as neutral. So 100 is better than 50, and -100 is worse than -50. Hope my link works!

http://inflammationfactor.com/look-up-if-ratings/

Hi Coatfetish,

I looked through the whole list for some of my favorite anti-inflammatory foods, only to see that they were negative? Doesn't make sense to me. Avocados, walnuts, olive oil are supposedly anti-inflammatory and also, very healthy fats.

Also, I think some Inspire members need to know that a change in diet does not work for everybody.

I see on that site that avocado and olive oil are anti inflammatory but not walnuts.

Someone on this site posted about nuts in general possibly aggravating inflammation in some people - something to do with compounds in the nuts. Sorry I can't remember where it's posted.

It very important to remember no two people react to any food the same, if they react at all. I just posted my link for general interest. As I've said in the past, it's a balancing act between the negative and positive impact foods have on us as individuals. Each person has to chose for themselves where they draw the line. For instance, by process of elimination I think I may react with a rash to tomatoes - I'm shocked! I LOVE tomatoes and eat them in one form or another nearly every day. I have been doing very good on a GF/ low sugar diet, but when I started eating a tomato a day because some yummy fresh heirlooms came into my local market - my Ps flared up quite a bit. I won't give them up, but I will cut back and think of them as treats now.

Hi Coatfetish,

Tomatoes belong to the family of nightshades which are a big no-no for psoriasis. Please google nightshades to see the other vegetables that are included!

Thanks valmeow, I've known that for years, but this is the first time I've actually seen myself flare on tomatoes. Sadly most of my favorite foods could be a problem for me! I'm going to start retraining my taste buds - lol

so interestng how dif I am from most Ps patients
Tomatoes and all the nightshades make absolutely no dif for me

Julia, I'm going to go for a few weeks without night shades, then introduce tomatoes again to see if the same thing happens - the flare could been related to something else (fingers crossed lol) I never thought nightshade had any noticeable effects for me either, and it's still possible they don't. I'm having a rough couple of weeks due to seasonal outdoor allergies and I've been cleaning up the yard & garden - hoping it's seasonal and not my yummy 'maters!

Hi Julia,

It's the same with me. I don't think any food really affects my ppp, but I'm still going to try to follow a more anti-inflammatory diet...just in case...lol!

I know - it's doesn't hurt to try anything that might help us! : )

The only experience I have had with diet changes are processed foods versus whole foods. If you have a food allergy, even a very mild one, your P will flare up. This is an autoimmune disease and anything that activates an immune response will cause your P to get worse. Avoid processed foods, drink enough water to keep you hydrated, try to eat more fruits and vegetables, exercise and try to get enough sleep.

Great advice, Michael!!

Diet changes has helped a lot for me..

I am pretty much following the coatfetish lookup table..

I have given up gluten and citric fruit especially lemon juice. I have to limit red meat as well. Everytime i break my diet ( many many times).
I am a complete mess.

My wife works with the elderly and because we have so many lemons i try and give them away to the old guys.
Some of these old guys get pain and stiffness from lemons so i quite often can,t give them away.

Yet for most people , lemons and the juice is so good for them.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders