Psoriasis under breast? Treatment?

** Originally posted by eje11 **

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Looking for any kind of answer out there. I've had Psoriasis since I was 4 years old. I am now 23 and although my P has improved, it still plagues me today. I've been on Enbrel for about 2 years now. At first, it worked amazing. It completely cleared up my P. A year after I was using it they slowed down my injections to 1 shot per week. After that, my P slowly started to come back. It's maintained right now, but there are a few areas on my body where there are a few patches.

Right now, I have P in between and under my breast and it is so completely painful. At night, it gets itchy, swollen and red. During the day when it is dry, I put lotion on in the morning to mosturize it, but it starts to hurt. I have an appointment with Derm on Monday, but for now I'm looking for a temporary fix to atleast get the pain or swolleness to go away? If anyone knows of any treatment for this or tricks to help maintain it that would be awesome.

It's so nice to be in a community where everyone is going through a similar experience than you are. So I appreciate this forum and people asking and responding questions. I'm excited to be here.

Thanks!
EJ

29 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by JustDucky **

I get it there. I feel your pain.

My derm gave me westcort. Its a mild steroid. It clears it up in 2-3 days and it feels better immediately. If you cant get that, try the over the counter hydrocortisone cream..ointment is better if you can get it. It will help somewhat, because I dont think this westcort is that much stronger.

Just a bit of advice, since once it finds that area..it seems to like it and returns. When you are home, go braless. The elastic around the bottom of the bra is a killer. Also, you might to want to go bra shopping. Try to find a bra without that bottom band. You might have to go padded. They seem to be the ones that are sometimes made with formed cups and not that band. That makes such a difference, because it puts no pressure there. I found them in walmart and bought a couple of them.

Also, when you shower, always check under there. You sometimes dont feel that right away and if you catch it fast..it wont get to that burning, itching point.

I hope this helps you.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely ask for Westcort. I've never used it before. And, for some reason my body tends to get used to ointments which is why the Dovenex probably isn't working.

** Originally posted by DALEG **

EJ....I have been using sleep bras and while they are not greatest of support, it doesn't bother the p under my breasts.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi ej,
im sorry that i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

try and have a good day all

richard

What's a sleepbra? I bought a few sports bras. Geeze talk about feeling like you are in a vice. I bought two different types...I couldnt stand either of them. To be honest, I like it better with none. If I am home and wear a baggy shirt..you cant even tell (err... much). lol

** Originally posted by tim49120 **

I also have been on Enbrel and was clear but now the P is starting to come back. I am going to try my UVB booth and see if that helps. I wonder if this is the norm for Enbrel to work very well for a year or two then become less effective

** Originally posted by kaitlinmarie35 **

A quick fix I have found is A&D Ointment because it doesn't burn like a lotion and stays on the skin to moisturize it longer. Good luck, and Happy Holidays!

** Originally posted by DALEG **

A sleep bra is a real "loose" bra, made of very "streatchable" material. I really never understood....why would you wear a bra when you sleep?????

** Originally posted by pgerpup **

Hi EJ,

Welcome to the boards. I wish I had an answer for you. I'm like you, my body seems to get accustomed to the treatment I'm using and it stops working. I hope you find something that works and I'll keep my eye on this thread. I'm interested too. ;)

Merry Christmas!
Fay

Oh, I dont know why would want to wear one when sleeping, either.

I found that any bra without the band underneath is comfortable, because it usually doesnt put any pressure there.

I get it in the bend of the leg sometimes too. It really hurts there..and its the same thing with the elastic putting pressure there.

** Originally posted by frommyvalentino **

Any kind of cream should be fine. I have it under my breast and sometimes, if handled roughly, it can break the skin. I've been using some med that I found in my bag (I think it's a sterioid, I don't remember...all I know is I think I got immune to it last time I used it.), and it's working great! My skin is clearing up just from putting it on once a night before bed, then washing it off in the morning. That way I don't smell at work (I can't smell it, but who knows!), and it still works! The P around my chest is almost completely gone, the P in my ears is almost completely gone, the knees are being a b---- and my stomach is clearing. Even the bothersome spot on my lower stomach (that little roll you get under your belly button?) is lightening up! And I can NEVER get that to go away!

** Originally posted by DEBAK **

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Looking for any kind of answer out there. I've had Psoriasis since I was 4 years old. I am now 23 and although my P has improved, it still plagues me today. I've been on Enbrel for about 2 years now. At first, it worked amazing. It completely cleared up my P. A year after I was using it they slowed down my injections to 1 shot per week. After that, my P slowly started to come back. It's maintained right now, but there are a few areas on my body where there are a few patches.

Right now, I have P in between and under my breast and it is so completely painful. At night, it gets itchy, swollen and red. During the day when it is dry, I put lotion on in the morning to mosturize it, but it starts to hurt. I have an appointment with Derm on Monday, but for now I'm looking for a temporary fix to atleast get the pain or swolleness to go away? If anyone knows of any treatment for this or tricks to help maintain it that would be awesome.

It's so nice to be in a community where everyone is going through a similar experience than you are. So I appreciate this forum and people asking and responding questions. I'm excited to be here.

Thanks!
EJ

You did'nt mention which type of P you have under your breasts...is it plaque, guttate or inverse. The other possible thing going on there is yeast...especially if you have been using a lot of creams or other topicals that further increase the moisture in that area. You may want to try an over the counter antifungal....either the foot powder type such as Lotrimin or one of the vaginal yeast infection creams like miconazole. You will note a rapid response from this if yeast is the culprit and if it is not yeast it will not cause any harm to try these. I get inverse both under the breasts and in the groin folds as well as under my fat belly and this will sound weird but I put Listerine in a spray bottle and mist it onto a paper towel and cleanse these areas with it and it keeps it from returning...there must be something about the type of bacteria that develops in these dark moist areas that the listerine kills. I learned this trick from someone on here. I personally like the orange citrus flavored listerine (or generic store brand) as it has a very refreshing scent. hope this helps.

** Originally posted by Mikel **

anything that works for inverse P will work under the Breast.
Protopic & Mimyx from the Rx range and Amlactin from OTC.

** Originally posted by heidiblair **

I agree with Ducky. For years I've battled P under my breast. Finally a new GYN said it was yeast, not P and gave me Clorimzole ointment. I ended up having to get Diflucan to get rid of it. Now I manage day to day with Lotromine spray and feel great!

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi heidibair,
welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good day all

richard

** Originally posted by stametst **

Hi all,

Thanks!
EJ

Dear EJ,

I have found somethings cream and lotions I use differently especially if there is an opening on the skin. If there is an opening of the skin near my breast, I will use the prescribed ointment that my dermatologist has given me, or I will use Vaseline. The ointments seem to work really well and clear it up. Also, it does not burn so the ointments I use on open skin but the creams I use on skin that is not open. I have found somethings in the creams that irritate open skin. Also, the Vaseline seems to really work well and help.

I hope this will help.

Thanks for all the advice and welcome messages guys! It's really great to be in a community like this.

Saw my doc today... she gave me Clobetasol ointment and Dovonex cream. I'm not so confident considering the Dovonex ointment didn't help at all. Hopefully this does help though. What does everyone else use for Inverse Psoriasis?

I'm getting miserable from the itching. It's getting worse everyday. I've taken oatmeal baths at night to help stop the itching but that doesn't work. I've been taking Benadryl to atleast make me comfortable but it makes it really hard to wake up in the morning for work. The itching is everywhere on my body too. Wondering if its the weather?

I also started Photo Therapy again today. Hoping this will help clear me up again. Doc also discussed taking me off of Enbrel soon and starting me on Methotrexate. Anyone else here on Methotrexate?? If you are... how effective is it and how do you feel about it?

I use westcort ointment (mild steroid rx) for inverse. It clears it in 3 days and the itching and/or burning stops almost immediately.

Damn.. I forgot to ask my Doc about Westcort. Clobetasol is a pretty strong steriod though... so I hope it works.

Yes, that is strong. Let us know how you are doing.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders