Psoriasis on lips?

Hi All,
I've had PA for a billion years or so. Mostly tolerable, (but getting to be no so lately!). About 2 months ago, I had 2 small spots appear on my upper lip exactly where a drinking glass would touch. Well after about a week it started spreading to the border that defines my lips from my face and my lips have become swollen. Not stupid swollen, but annoyingly swollen. Also they have become very sensitive to touch.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
I saw my Rheumy and he referred me to a derm. Saw the drm and was given 2 shots of kenalog and betamethasone. But I think maybe I was underdosed. Had no change in my lips, but I also had no change in my other plaque type P on my legs, etc. The pain in my ankles eased up for about 2 days, about 3 days after the shot, but that was it. I expected more from the steroid shots. I have to go in for a lip biopsy this week...

Anyone ever try glycerine on their lips before?
I'm on Enbrel, BTW.

Later,
Brian

9 replies. Join the discussion

The betamethasone doesn't clear it up either?

Neutrogena Norwegian Skin Formula hand cream (its more like vaseline in its consistency, but not as greasy) is an excellent product. Of course its loaded with glycerin, but it has other ingredients that make it tolerable and less greasy. I use it for cracked fingertips in the winter. Maybe that would help. It costs about $5 at the grocery store or Walgreens.

I have never heard of someone getting P on their lips before.

Neutrogena makes a chapstick too.

Me too. I'm and ER Nurse and see a lot of patients with PA. Weird. But the 2 lesions which started this are definitely psoriasis, from what I've seen before.

Glycerin works fine on lips and gums, etc. It's a medium-sweet taste, so you won't have to worry about that!

well, i had the biopsy done on th 17th. waiting for results with an itchy upper lip (from the stitches!). should have the results in the next week and a half. i'll post here when I find out...

Later,
B.

Biopsy came back as "lichenoid Dermatitis". I googled it. Sounds a lot like psoriasis. Couldn't find anything on treatment or cure, though. Now to make an appointment with the dermo and figure this out. Stitches come out today, so that's good too.

Have a great day!
B.

hi. i've gotten it on my lips before. i get it all over my face in different places, the lips are not fun. i use protopic- its an RX ointment that is for sensitive areas, which include the face. its just a little difficult when its on your lips because you are licking them or drinking or whatever. so what i would do is put the ointment on (very tiny amounts) at night time then i am not so worried about it coming off. if i have to do it in the daytime, just be aware that you have meds on your mouth. i usually put chapstick or lipstick over it to kind of protect the medicine, but you may not have that option. chapstick would work though. i have also used vaseline. good thing that the mouth is one of the quickest things to heal, it has usually gone away within a week if i am diligent about moisturizing. hope this info helps some.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders