Psoriasis on feet [w. picture]

** Originally posted by plasticxtiara **

*If there's a topic about Psoriasis on the feet already, I apologize. I searched, nothing came up, and I'm not going to look thru all the pages.. =]*

Anyone have experience with- or ideas on how to get Psoriasis on the feet under control?
How to keep it from cracking? What treatment to go with?

I've used- taken Cyclosporine [2x,] Tazorac, Taclonex [2x- currently using,] Accutane, Dovenex, Uvb [2x,] Mtx [2x- currently using,] Enbrel [2x,] and some otc stuff, I don't remember the names.

Nothing's really helped, and I'm running out of ideas. My foot hurts all the time now and I'm getting tired. As I said, I'm currently taking Mtx [20 mg] and Taclonex.

I use the Taclonex 5-6 times a day, so it doesn't get dry and crack worse, but most of the time, at the end of the day, it cracks anyways.

At night, I use a TON of intensive healing cream on my feet, and wrap them with plastic wrap, or a plastic bag with socks over it.

I have a Derm. appointment in March, I'll probably be going back sooner, since the Mtx isn't working, so I'll ask her about it again, but if anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it!

133 replies. Join the discussion

Maybe I'm too stubborn, but I'm not getting a handicapped parking permit, not yet anyways.
Maybe when I can't physically walk, I will think about it, but I'm not there yet, I hope I won't be there for a while..

I'm going to my Derm. tomorrow, so my Nurse can get my insurance info. and get any paperwork ready for me to restart Humira.

These are from, about five minutes ago..
Better? Worse? idk, it FEELS better, that's all I know.

** Originally posted by JK72 **

I looked just like that 6 months ago, by 1 month ago, I could barely walk. I posted my history http://talkpsoriasis.org/showthread.php?t=37710 and I will get some pics on here to show the ups and downs. I have begun Stelara and have high hopes. Went through the remicade but screwed that up by going off and then back - you really are stuck for life with it, but it works (first time around only). I suggest Neotigason - full clearing of hands and feet in a short time. Only trouble is when you stop, it comes back fast. I know what you're going through and it really sucks.
Definitely vaseline in the socks to walk better. I've used vasoline and bandaged my feet for weeks. The only topical that has a medicating effect and the 'vasoline' effect to my knowledge is Dovobet. Applying it with a bandage for the day and socks at night really help, but as I said before the best thing was the Neotigason and some topicals.

I looked just like that 6 months ago, by 1 month ago, I could barely walk. I posted my history http://talkpsoriasis.org/showthread.php?t=37710 and I will get some pics on here to show the ups and downs. I have begun Stelara and have high hopes. Went through the remicade but screwed that up by going off and then back - you really are stuck for life with it, but it works (first time around only). I suggest Neotigason - full clearing of hands and feet in a short time. Only trouble is when you stop, it comes back fast. I know what you're going through and it really sucks.
Definitely vaseline in the socks to walk better. I've used vasoline and bandaged my feet for weeks. The only topical that has a medicating effect and the 'vasoline' effect to my knowledge is Dovobet. Applying it with a bandage for the day and socks at night really help, but as I said before the best thing was the Neotigason and some topicals.

Thanks for the link. =]

My Derm. said the same thing about Remicade, once you use it, you're pretty much stuck with it.. but if it works, I'd be willing to stay on it forever.

I'll look at Neotigason, thanks for the info. =]

Let me know how Stelara goes for you?

** Originally posted by BJLewis **

I am in remission from my ppp with MTX and Enbrel but my feet were as bad or worse than yours, plus my hands. Have you tried antibiotics? I tried a 10 day course of Keflex (I think) when I first got ppp and it cleared it right up. But it came back and the 2nd course didn't work as well. A friend, Calamity Jane, on the skincell site at http://www.skincell.org takes Doxycycline with great success. You can also check out http://www.roadback.org which tells about antibiotic protocol.

Another suggestion I have which I used when my feet were so raw that I could hardly walk is wet dressings. It seems too simple but it really does help while you are waiting for other meds to kick in. Take a piece of gauze and cut it to the size of the raw area. Wet it with filtered water, wring it out and place it on the area. Cover with a dry piece of gauze and tape it in place. Put on your socks and shoes or just socks if you are going to bed. The wetness offers a soothing coolness and walking is easier and it helps to heal the area. I hope you get relief soon. BJ

Thank you for your advice BJLewis, I'm glad you are in remission. =]

Right now, it's really itchy!!
And kind of sore, but it doesn't HURT like it did, so that's good.
These are from a little bit ago..

** Originally posted by anteek **

PTX, it looks like there are more of the brown areas now. Maybe that is why it is so itchy. For me, brown areas are the clearing part, and it does itch worse then.

** Originally posted by strums1 **

I was finally correctly diagnosed last August after going to gp, podiatris then dermatologist. He tried oral meds - didn't work. My feet looked like these shown. Started me on Humira and my feet are clear. My derm has me use Aquafor (made by Eucerin) on my feet at night with socks. In the beginning he would have me wrap saran wrap around me feet and it really helped the cracking. At one point he gave a me a RX for some very expensive diaper rash ointment - had to wrap that as well, but I don't have to use it anymore. I do however use the Aquafor regularly and it has helped maintain the condition.

** Originally posted by strums1 **

One more thing - do any of you just itch even if you don't have any active p. Everynight I just seem to itch all over. And I thought Humira would help with the arthritis symptoms but they are getting worse. When my feet were so messed up for all those months and I could barely walk I gained weight - couldn't go to the gym or even walk the dogs and I feel the weight is making things worse. But the joints in my feet and knees, ankles are killing me.

Good luck with your feet. I know how painful it is but don't give up!

** Originally posted by RichJ **

Thank you for your advice BJLewis, I'm glad you are in remission. =]

Right now, it's really itchy!!
And kind of sore, but it doesn't HURT like it did, so that's good.
These are from a little bit ago..

hi plasticxtiara,

im sorry to see thar it came back. that's what has been doing. right now im itching the bottom of my right foot. had some blisters on my plams:D. i hope it stops my friend. i wish us all the best

try and have a good weekend all

richard

Thanks Rich.
And strums1. =]

omgggggggg.
This is driving me crazy!!!!!
My Psoriasis is pretty much NEVER itchy..
But my foot itches soooooo bad right now!!!
Maybe it's healing?
idk, but I want to rip off my skin!!!! o.O

What do you guys do for the itch?!!

Still itching.. like crazy!!!! =o

It's getting.. flatter, idk if that's the right word..
Feels more smooth, hardly any plaques, doesn't hurt hardly at all!

I'm still using Vaseline, wrapping with pre wrap, and putting a sock over that.
And it's a little less itchy today, but still itches a lot. =p

I think it's getting better.. maybe? =/

** Originally posted by kptruck **

It does look maybe a tiny bit lighter and the skin peeling is usually a sign mine is healing up. Lets hope it just keeps right on getting better!

It does look maybe a tiny bit lighter and the skin peeling is usually a sign mine is healing up. Lets hope it just keeps right on getting better!

Yes, I hope so! =]
Plus, it's been itching like crazy!!!
And my Psoriasis never, ever itches.
I hope that means something good.

** Originally posted by pattyr **

I have been on a gluten free diet for 2 months now...although I mess up every now and then by drinking beer (believe the grain in there has gluten...but not sure). It seems to be working. I'm still doing the vaseline & cotton sock thing at night but no longer on any medication. Have a small flare now and then, but nothing like it used to be. I don't know, but maybe I'm in remission. I hope so...but I will continue to do the no gluten thing.

pattyr

I'm glad you're doing well, pattyr!! =]

My foot is.. blah.
No better, no worse, just.. there. =p

** Originally posted by fredngracie **

Besides putting my topicals on my feet, when they itch really bad, I find an ice pack will stop the itching when nothing else does. Take care, g

By the way, I have pp in the same spot as you on my right foot. It's all clear right now, but man do I feel your pain when I see your pictures.

Be careful and keep a close eye on it. You can get an infection there really easily and it can get bad before you know it.

Your pictures do look like it is getting better. By the way, my p itches all the time. UGH!

Besides putting my topicals on my feet, when they itch really bad, I find an ice pack will stop the itching when nothing else does. Take care, g

By the way, I have pp in the same spot as you on my right foot. It's all clear right now, but man do I feel your pain when I see your pictures.

Be careful and keep a close eye on it. You can get an infection there really easily and it can get bad before you know it.

Your pictures do look like it is getting better. By the way, my p itches all the time. UGH!

I should have thought of the ice thing myself!
Thanks for reminding me!!! =]

These are from yesterday..

** Originally posted by pals1107 **

Hi, I am new here. I have PPPP I was first diagnosed in 1986 or 87, can't remember now. I was in bad shape for about 8 years, then it disappeared for 10 years. The only thing I can think of that could have made it go away was hormone replacement. Well it came back again about a year and a half ago.

I wish my feet looked that good! Almost all of both of my feet look like this. Back in the last century I tried about every goo and light treatment you can think of, nothing helped. I was even on the now removed from the market Tegison, for four years. All that did was make me ineligible to donate blood for the rest of my life.

The dermatologist I had before, now says I should go elsewhere, he can't help me, and doesn't really want to deal with psoriasis patients anymore. He referred me to a clinic that deals with the different "shots", but I am afraid of those. The lower your immune system and if I were ever to get a serious infection I would be up the creek because I am allergic to most all antibiotics. (the only one that I wasn't allergic to caused severe nausea the last time I took it.)

I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm loosing nails, it is getting so hard to work. I don't know if it because of the PPPP, but I am so tired that after work I am done, I can do no more but sleep. It's not much of a life.

I am 56, but feel 86. A widow of 3 years, but wouldn't even think of looking for anyone, the way my hands and feet look I would scare off anyone. I am lucky that I was called back to my job after being off 8 months in these times. (that's when the PPPP came back I'm sure the stress triggered it) But it is so hard to be working, really I think I should be on disability. My dermatologist didn't even want to give me a handicapped parking permit, but finally gave me one to last three months, that has long ago expired.

I also have a severe back problem, I had a fall that knocked a disk out of place. (this happened right about the time that the psoriasis came back, could that of helped trigger the PPPP also?) After three physical therapy and two sessions of traction it is no better. The rehabilitation doctor will not even think of surgery do to my antibiotic allergies.

How does one get a disability when you can't get a doctor to support you? I have asked three doctors, my derm, PCP, and rehab, they ignore my topic of disability. Could it be that they just don't want to be bothered with the paper work? It's hard to find another doctor when all I do is work and I have a HMO.

Well that's my story, or at least part of it. I have no one, no help from the Drs. and do nothing but work, and have no time or energy to change it.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders