psoriasis on eyelids

I have had severe psoriasis all over my body for almost a year now but as of Saturday it has spread to my eyelids. My eyes are very puffy and hurt very bad. I went to urgent care... not exactly helpful. I have a derm appt on Tuesday but I really need some relief. Any tips? I do have many steroid prescriptions but the thought of putting those on my eyelids doesnt sound very safe. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

9 replies. Join the discussion

Oh wow..I'm so sorry..I get in in my eyebrows alot and a couple times on my eyelis..DONT use steroid cream though...Its not safe anywhere near your eyes..I just used vaseline to help with the burn and itch..I'm so sorry nothing really helps as far as I know...Oh and heat...if you have a little heater you can put by your bed,I found that offers some relief too....

I get it on my eyelids also sometimes. I use virgin coconut oil - but be careful not to get it in your eyes. Put on lightly.

I have been using a herbal cream from a health food store that is very mild. I have a lot of allergies and I have used this on my face and around my eyes as a moisturizer with no stinging or irritation. It is called "Psorzema" and is supposed to reduce scaling and dryness .

From the NPF's website: http://www.psoriasis.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=449

Around the eyes

When psoriasis affects the eyelids, scales may cover lashes. The edges of the eyelids may become red and crusty. If inflamed for long periods, the rims of the lids may turn up or down. If the rim turns down, lashes can rub against the eyeball and cause irritation. Psoriasis of the eye is extremely rare. When it does occur, it can cause inflammation, dryness and discomfort. It may impair vision. Topical antibiotics may be used to treat infection.

In some cases, a special steroid medication made for use around the eyes may be used to treat scaling. Your doctor must carefully supervise the treatment because eyelid skin can be easily damaged. If topical steroids are overused in and around your eyes, glaucoma and/or cataracts may develop, which is the reason doctors suggest having your intraocular pressure checked regularly by an ophthalmologist.

Protopic ointment or Elidel cream won't cause glaucoma and is effective on eyelids, but can sting the first few days of use. Using Protopic or Elidel for eyelid psoriasis may help you avoid the potential side effects of topical steroids.

I have used %2 Cortizone (prescription) on mine for years without any pain or thinning of the skin. I get mine on the skin directly below the lower eyelashes and right above the eyelid. just dab it on with your pinkie and be careful not to get it in your eye.

soo sorry to hear that. i use a cream called globatesol i use it on my body and in my ears, you might be able to put that on your eyelids. ask your doctor first though.

good luck, let me know how it goes.

a lot of eye creams have salacylic acid in them which is safe on eyelids as it is in many eye creams . I have used that w
and had good results

I've used Glycerin exclusively for P. for about 8 yrs. But when I saw someone say they had it on the eyelid I was horrified.

Glycerin is very hygroscopic (water-seeking/pulling) and when applied to tissues with poor or little circulation can cause a "burning" sensation because the rapid surface dehydration seems like heat, to the nerves. I knew the cornea was super-sensitive to this effect.

But I also use a Vaseline/Glycerin mix for some areas like the sole, where it's very effective, and figgered that the oil/G mix wouldn't pull/grab water the same way. So I touched some directly onto my eyeball (off to one side!). No pain. Vision in that eye was a bit blurry for an hour or so while the 'tear' system gradually flushed the mix into the sinuses (which it cleared out very nicely; a dab of G. in each nostril will do the same over about ½hr. or so).

So it should be safe to apply to the eyelid. V/G mixes up into some thin V. and some thick G. Use whichever you prefer. It should begin to be quite effective within a day or two, and control itching almost immediately (5-10 minutes). Flaking will stop first, then the swelling, then the redness (excessive capillaries) last of all.

P.S. to above: the "purest" Glycerin is the Vegetable Source type from health supplement stores, but the slightly even less expensive USP grade from a drugstore etc. (99.5% G, 0.4% water, 0.1% other) is fine, too.
Spreads very thinly, even though it's thickish, and 8-16 oz. will last a LONG time, even if you have extensive coverage. Thin with water till it's sprayable if you have large % to cover. Just let alone for 15 min. or so; it will penetrate on its own. Any excess will come off instantly into a damp cloth, if necessary. Or in a shower or bath, etc.

If you brush your teeth with it, btw, it works wonders on sore gums &/or loose teeth. Kills bacteria by dehydration on contact, and goes quickly down the enamel surfaces to the roots of the teeth.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders