psoriasis on bottom of feet?

for anyone who has had psoriasis show up on their feet, how did it start out? i have only ever had plaque psoriasis, but i'm not sure what's going on with my feet now. it started out about two weeks ago with tiny dark red bumps, they were small and barely raised. now they look like popped blisters even though no fluid was in them, but they are white and scaly looking. it's definitely difficult to explain and i'm not sure how to post pictures on here. i did switch from enbrel to stelara, with only one week medication free in between, and this started the day after my first stelara shot. there are about 5 spots on each foot and they are painful. they do not look like the pictures of typical pustular psoriasis, but is it possible to get other types on the bottom of your feet? any ideas would be wonderful.

18 replies. Join the discussion

I've got plaque psoriasis and I've also got plaques on the bottoms of my feet. On the bottoms of my feet they are thicker than the surrounding skin and are scaly and white, but they don't flake off they just get thicker and less and less flexible.

Yes ,I ha ve had psoriasis on the bottom of my feet and it was pretty awful . Cracked and bleeding . was hard to walk . Just put antibiotic ointment on it with lots of vaseline or hydrolatum . made me more confortable and wore white socks . Youch it was bad . Thenafter a few moths it went away.

Lanacaine helps too.

TRY TO SOAK YOUR FEET AS MUCH AS POOSIBLE. THERE IS A GAGET AT WALMART THAT YOU CAN GET THAT USES USES BATTERIES BUT WILL TAKE THE DEAD SKIN OFF IT HAS 4 OR 5 ATTACHMENTS .

thanks for all the replies. i did cover my feet in vaseline last night and then wrapped them in gauze... it definitely softened them up but they still hurt. i have a couple tiny spots that are white that look like the beginning of my skin peeling off..or something. i have never had my psoriasis effect my feet or hands so i'm not sure what to expect. i just hope it doesn't get worse, it hurts as it is and whatever it is, is mild compared to all the pictures i've seen! i don't know how anyone survives with this on their feet, i think you've gotta be a very strong individual to be able to deal with this on a daily basis.

hi jackie,
i have pp on the bottom of my feet. not right now but i did. it can make it very hard to walk. i have a thread on here that i will bump for you. it has some good info on it. it's called a pic of my hand. i hope this helps some. i know that pain you are talking about. i wish you the best

try and have a good weekend all

richard

Yep I have it on the bottom of my feet too. One morning I woke up & my feet were covered in blisters. Scared me. I thought I had some freaky skin problem from stepping in something. I went to the derm& learned I have a freaky skin problem from something genetic & its HERE TO STAY! WAHHHHHH. Sorry for anyone who has it. I could tell you this or that works but it ends up being a lie cuz nothing seems to work for long.

HOWEVER, I do believe fish oil is keeping mine from being full blown. That is, if I take it religiously. I started to break out the other day and the next day it was clearing again. Yipee!

Kay

rich, thanks for bumping up that thread! as soon as i get some time later on today i will read that entire thread, it sure has a lot of replies!

kay, that's exactly what i thought! mine showed up the day after i ran through some tall grass with flip flops on, at first i thought i picked something weird up from that. but it seems like it's here to stay so it definitely wasn't the grass. it sounds like the feet are one of the most stubborn places, ugh :( i already have it on my scalp, which i thought was stubborn enough.

I only have P on the bottom of my feet. Mine started about 2 years ago with me noticing that it looked like I had a piece of concrete (our basement floor wasn't finished and was breaking in places) embedded into my foot. It hurt.. so I tried to pick what I thought was the concrete out.

From there it turned into huge scales, terrible terrible itching, bleeding, cuts.. My dermatologist still hasn't found the right treatment for me. She's had me on 2 different antibiotics, a clob treatment, dovonex, a few other creams, tons of moisturizers and now I'm getting tricinolone injections which aren't helping.

It's a terrible terrible place to get P! It hurts like a SOB..
My problem is too that I'm on crutches, unable to walk due to knee issues (which I've been told is not psoriatic arthritis..) So there's days I need my feet to take all my weight.. and they can't because they're ripped to shreds.

try wrapping in clear plastic wrap then put sock on

I got the crud on the soles of my feet as well as my hands.

Back before the Enbrel went to work on my feet, I soaked my feet in Dead Sea Salts and hot water. It felt good and sure softened up the heavy plaques. I used as hot of water as I could stand. I'd rub my feet together in the footbath and man, would the skin come off at times.

I also use a coal tar/betamethasone goop that was compounded by the pharmacy. It works real good at cutting through the heavy plaques.

I've had psoriasis on the bottoms of my feet in the past - painful, uncomfortable, all around terrible. Keep feet very lcean and dry them gently after washing. Do not take long hot baths or showers as they can actually dry the skin out more. Use gentle soaps - some have high alcohol contents or perfume that irritate some people. Keep moisturized - try slathring w/ Eurcerin cream or other moisturizer and wear cotton socks to bed at night over the moisturizer. There are some topical meds that could help or even control this -- PLEASE see your dermatologist!

I have severe ps on my hands and then one day, it appeared on my feet. It started out in patches, then spread to my entire bottom of my feet. Very thick and scaly. Freaked me out. Im a "girly girl" who gets pedi/mani's regularly. Of course, I was shame but my manicurist has other clients w/ps so she was great about it. She didn't scrape my feet w/razor, she just scrubbed them really good. Eventually, it cleared up. I don't know if the pedi's actually healed my feet but I DO know that they made me feel better. You need to be careful of infection, so make sure the nail place follows strict sterilizing procedure and bring your own stuff if possible.

I can certainly share your pain. The p on the bottoms of my feet has caused the skin to thicken terribly and now cracking on the ball of my feet, on the verge of bleeding. I have been using glycerin and vaseline religiously on my hands and feet for almost a month now. Wearing gloves most of the time and always wear socks when I go to bed. On the weekend I can wear socks all day. My feet are just getting worse. I am going to get some coconut oil today though and try that. I can't get in to see my derm for another week. This is so horrible!

I have psoriasis on the soles of my feet, and, for a long time, had all of the awful cracking, bleeding, itching, and burning that accompanies it.. Methotrexate, along with daily applications of (generic) ultravate, followed by Cerave in the AM, and petroleum jelly compounded with salicylic acid (this is a prescription) in the PM has worked wonders. I wear socks for a while after each topical application. I also soak my feet once or twice a week in warm water, then exfoliate and moisturize.

I've got psoriasis postules on my fingers, toes. the palm of my hand and the arch area of one of my feet. i found to get to where you can treat it is to get the thick scales off and then start treating, i started using a small knife and scraping and still moisturizing in between. just try to get those scales off without getting to raw skin. i have been using psoriasin and it has helped tremendously. put plenty on and where white socks at least twice a day (according to how bad it is, you can always use more) of course there is no cure, so i will have the little blisters pop up occasionally, i leave them alone and they will go away. my derm said not to expose the patches to hot water, but to bathe in lukewarm water. she also said not to use vaseline. they all say different stuff. the best time to work on getting the flakes and scales off is after a shower or bath. sometimes they will just rub off. but really you have to stay on top of it. there is no cure but you can make yourself more comfortable, you just have to experiment. try some of the other people's ideas and hang in there. good luck

I am an RN with Plaque Psoriasis on the heel of my foot on the bottom and up the outside of my left foot. I really thought I was crazy because it hurts so badly that I limp all of the time. I have not been free of the plaques for more than 5 days since January. I have been faithfully using Taclonex on it twice a day with poor results. I am now adding an oral medication that has me scared to death because of the potential side affects but at this point I cannot continue living this way. Every web site I read about Plaque Psoriasis says it "itches". This DOES NOT ITCH it hurts like the dickens. PAIN!!!!! Like knives shooting pains all the way up to my knee and down my foot to my toes. I cannot walk on it during a flare. Oh, I am sorry, did I give the impression that I get relief sometimes "between flares"? NOT. I hate it that I have found some kindred spirits that know what I am going through because it means there are others out there that "share my pain". I am so very sorry. Prayer is my constant companion along with the pain. This is life long, debilitating and outragiously painful. I hope this new medication works and does not cause me more trouble with side affects. I am a grandmother of 4 beautiful grandchildren and I want to be able to spend time with them pain free. What a pipe dream at this point. The best to everyone out there that suffer along with me. Find a good Dermatologist that can help you out. Mine is wonderful and we are working together to beat this thing or at least get it into remission. She respects me for my medical knowledge yet makes sure i understand what "we" are dealing with.

Scrubbing and peeling makes my Psoriasis worse- please see a dermatologist

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders