Psoriasis in the groin folds

** Originally posted by dudemcface **

I just registered today but I have had this condition for some time. I have been diagnosed with sebhorrheic dermatitis on my scalp and face and ears and I beleive i have psoriasis in the groin skin folds. I have been told that it was a yeast infection but it never seems to go away totally even with anti-fungal medication. Its been like this on and off for 3 years. However, it does seem to get better with a steroid cream. Should I try the elidel i have for my face?

It gets kinda red an itchy and the skin starts to peel a little. Does that sound like psoriasis? maybe inverted? Thanks everybody!

10 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Hi dudemcface,

Welecome to the Board. Nice to meet you. :cool: Sorry to hear that you suspect that you have psoriasis in your groin folds. I'm not a doctor but sounds like inverse psoriasis to me. A biopsy or scraping is the only way to tell for sure. (A biopsy is definitive for psoriasis.) That being said, Elidel is safe to use in places like the groin. You might want to try using it there. If the problem persists please see your doctor.

Several people who post here have had great results using Desitin (which is a diaper rash cream) to treat their inverse psoriasis. Here's a link to a previous discussion about Desitin and inverse psoriasis: http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11047&highlight=Desitin. And here's a link to some additional info about the the Desitin product that they were discussing: http://www.desitin.com/en/?dsp=21&psp=20.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Feel better and please keep us posted!

Mike

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi dudemcface
sorry i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you have met some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good night all

richard

** Originally posted by onside_dog **

That was my diagnosis. To me it does not sound right but am not any expert. I have never had peeling skin and the 3 red spots had initially went away in a couple of days and never came back. You should have dryness and itchiness and sometimes soreness. A dermatologist should be able to tell immediately. Lynn

** Originally posted by misales **

Thats where my P first showed up. My primary care docs kept giving me sporinox and it didn't help. I remember going on a golf outing on a hot day and by the end of the day I could barely walk. The inside of my legs/groin area where enflamed, chaffed, and I swear even swollen.

Be sure to pay attention to that area and make sure your docs do to. As I am older now I have little shame left and when I see the derm I make sure he/she checks the area. It's a hard place to inspect well yourself.

I have had that area under control now for a long time. I have been using elidel. Recently it got a little worse and I knocked it down with desonide "a steroid". If you need to use something strong or stronger down there be sure to be under the supervision of your derm/doc. I'll put a weak/mild steroid there maybe about once every 4 months. It is true, if you use a lot of steroids in thin skin area it is not good.

If you get second opinions on that area, you may get multiple opinions as I have. I think its a tough place for derms to work because of the way in which it presents. How ever it is important to be comfortable, so be sure to seek and find a treatment regimen for it.

** Originally posted by dudemcface **

You mentioned a golf outing on a hot day. I've had the same problem. When you get all sweaty in the summer it can get really bad and chafed. I bet I have the same condition. Thanks![

QUOTE=misales]Thats where my P first showed up. My primary care docs kept giving me sporinox and it didn't help. I remember going on a golf outing on a hot day and by the end of the day I could barely walk. The inside of my legs/groin area where enflamed, chaffed, and I swear even swollen.

Be sure to pay attention to that area and make sure your docs do to. As I am older now I have little shame left and when I see the derm I make sure he/she checks the area. It's a hard place to inspect well yourself.

I have had that area under control now for a long time. I have been using elidel. Recently it got a little worse and I knocked it down with desonide "a steroid". If you need to use something strong or stronger down there be sure to be under the supervision of your derm/doc. I'll put a weak/mild steroid there maybe about once every 4 months. It is true, if you use a lot of steroids in thin skin area it is not good.

If you get second opinions on that area, you may get multiple opinions as I have. I think its a tough place for derms to work because of the way in which it presents. How ever it is important to be comfortable, so be sure to seek and find a treatment regimen for it.</blockquote>

** Originally posted by Ironchef **

Nice to meet you Dude. And welcome to the boards!

Not to be a smartass, but I've got a psoraisis crack...in my crack! (sorry, but i don't know the word for that part of my backside) I even have cracks in the corner of my right eye, inside my nose, and around the tops of both ears (where my ears attach to my head).

I gotta tell you, crack sucks! What I've done is to keep putting thicker moisturizing cremes on those places (except my eye where I'm SOL). It makes it more elastic and keeps from tearing. Maybe I'll see if it's inverse P. Never knew about that before.

Thanks community for the tip!

** Originally posted by seedoubleyou **

That would be, "Intergluteal Cleft."

Been there, done that; have even had "it" Dermabond-ed together! :eek: (and oh, hey, the paper drape got glued, as well ... RRRRRRRIIIIP! ... another story)

You have my sympathy, Ironchef!

Warmly,
Cat

** Originally posted by Ironchef **

Haha, "interglutial cleft". SOunds like something on John Travolta's face!

Anyway, thanks for the correction! :) :)

** Originally posted by misales **

Well if you're new to it and that happens thats when you really start bitching at your doctors. They do have a lot to try to keep it under control but it does take effort. I now really don't have much problem there anymore, and if it does come back I can knock it down in a day or two easy..

I now can golf with no discomfort.

** Originally posted by tvcats **

Oh yes. How well I remember the misdiagnosis of yeast infection. :(
Mine was basically the exact same story -- p in places that might've been heat rash, but doc thought it was yeast. Took antifungals until they almost killed me, with no improvement whatsoever. By then, the p had spread to other places. It took over three years for me to get a definitive diagnosis of p. Bad news is -- it ain't going away. Good news is -- with treatment it doesn't itch like it used to (which is a *very* bad thing in those folds and crevices).

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders