psoriasis in the ear canal??

** Originally posted by ChattyChic **

hi..

i don't know if any of you have this problem,but i have psoriasis in my ear canal.basically,the skin on my ear drum,and the skin lining of the canal peel just like on any other part of your body; but since its in your ear,the skin cannot come out,so it remains inside n causes infections and inflammations,which is the most painful thig i experience almost every 2-4 wks!

the only solution i have is to go to an ENT who cleans out my ear,removes the dead skin that is clogged up and then gives me medicine to heal the infection.its crazy,goin to the ENT every few wks,and its expensive!and sometimes the guy doesnt have time to give me an appointment,and i may be dying with pain.

just wana ask if anyone else has this problem...and if they do,what do they do about it?????

35 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Lola30004 **

Hello,

Yes, I have psoriasis in both of my ear canals. I just had my ears "cleaned out" 4 weeks ago and given an antiboitic. I am starting to feel like it is coming back. It was painful and my hearing was affected greatly. My derm suggested I use the Olux foam in my ears, but it seemed liked it did not help much, but the damage could have already been done. I feel like I live at the doctors office.

** Originally posted by misales **

I have adult tubes and although the ent hasn't suggested P in the ear I'm pretty sure thats what mine is. It doesn't plaque up but I do get some thin skin out of them occasionally. I guess we just have to deal with it. I used to get the tubes in the office but they would fall out quickly. Thus the last time I went he put me in the outpatient surgery and these tubes have stayed in almost 2 years now. I can hear very well with them...I just don't go under water anymore.

** Originally posted by MikeK **

I have psoriasis in my ear canals. The itch can be unbearable at times and it sometimes affects my hearing. I manage to keep it somewhat under control by using Protopic (http://www.protopic.com). (Protopic is approved for eczema, but is often prescribed for psoriasis. It's safe to use in places like the ear.) My one complaint is that the psoriasis comes back with a vengeance if I miss more then a few treatments. Elidel (http://www.elidel.com), which is another eczema medication that is sometimes prescribed for psoriasis is another medication you can try. (Protopic is an ointment and Elidel is a cream.)

I hope this helps.

Mike

** Originally posted by cakp12 **

Had this happen a while back. It got so infected and inflammed I couldn't hear in that ear and it pushed my jaw out of line so I couldn't close my teeth together. I was given a Rx for ear drops that combine an antibiotic and cortisone. Won't ever let it get that bad again!

** Originally posted by misales **

Won't ever let it get that bad again!

Thats and excellent statement from someone with a good feel for their skin! I think the longer you have this condition, the smarter you get. thanks for making it.

** Originally posted by drochawi **

I have had P in ear canal for a few years. I am not sure you are supposed to do this, but I use Dovonex on a q-tip for a few days then use hydrogen peroxide once and it seems to keep it manageable. I only get one or two infections a year that way.

Good Luck.!

** Originally posted by ShadowThomas **

Yes !! I to have had P. in both of my ears for years. What I do and have also told my derm what I do is this, I have scalp P. and use Clobetasol topical solution 0.05% I just use a drop of the solution on the tip of my finger and rub it in once a week and I seldom if ever have and problems if I remember to use it. Right now I am over do and both of my ears are driveing me crazy, so I am going to do it right now. Good luck to you.

** Originally posted by CJ-888 **

Yes, in both ears. The itch drives me crazy, but seldomly get infections. When i do, usually from not leaving it alone. I use q-tips and tiny bit of Curel lotion. I know probaly bad idea, but better than paperclip I sometimes use to scratch and pull flakes out(Bad, Bad, Bad. I know). I've noticed if i stay on top of, lot easier to manage. Curious to find better was to manage when flare ups like this happen. How do you get flakes out of ear, maddening!
take care,
chriS

** Originally posted by drochawi **

I had to LOL at chriS's comment about the paperclips........I used to use them too, but prefer the coated kind. I bought a travel size Q-Tip holder and keep it in my desk......it works better than paperclips. Good pickin' all!

PS.. I also use antibiotic ointment sometimes

** Originally posted by gen **

I too have p in my ear canals! It gets really bad when I get an ent infection. You can get some Elocon solution and use it in there just fine. It is a prescription medication but it works. It is a steroid but isn't as powerful as clobetasol or betamethasone in fact it is in the same category as desonide I believe.

Gen :)

** Originally posted by JSimantov **

I have psoriasis in the ear canals and on my ear also. My ear looks like its covered with snow. I use a q tip for the itching (bad idea) but I try to slide it in slowly , but one time there was a little blood.
Im afraid to pop my eardrum so I do it as little as possible and only at the end.
As Im writing this my ears are starting to itch. (great)

Joyce :eek:

** Originally posted by Resist **

basically,the skin on my ear drum,and the skin lining of the canal peel just like on any other part of your body

The ear drum (tympanic membrane), does not have skin on it. The only peeling is from the skin in the ear canal.

** Originally posted by bigpede **

hi..

i don't know if any of you have this problem,but i have psoriasis in my ear canal.basically,the skin on my ear drum,and the skin lining of the canal peel just like on any other part of your body; but since its in your ear,the skin cannot come out,so it remains inside n causes infections and inflammations,which is the most painful thig i experience almost every 2-4 wks!

the only solution i have is to go to an ENT who cleans out my ear,removes the dead skin that is clogged up and then gives me medicine to heal the infection.its crazy,goin to the ENT every few wks,and its expensive!and sometimes the guy doesnt have time to give me an appointment,and i may be dying with pain.

just wana ask if anyone else has this problem...and if they do,what do they do about it?????

went to ENT...said psoriasis in ears and infection(staph) prescribed Dicloxacillin 250mg x 4 daily and Lidex gel x 3 daily...this antibiotic helped very much...no going back for any cleanings..ENT Dr. had P. also...smart man.

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

I was just reading about this on the UK forum....they are having good results with olive oil...this is what I use and never had an infection....I'm assuming it is painful from the sound of what you all are saying...I've had the ear connection with scalp for years...I also on occasion use hydrogen peroxide which is a good sterilizer.

http://www.psoriasis-help.org.uk/community/?board=Alt;action=display;num=11 30261798

** Originally posted by Crazy-itch **

Hello everyone,
I've had great success with my new derm who has now given me a sample of this over the counter, LaKarna Lotion to put in my ear canals. I must say, this has been the first lotion ever used that helped so much. In fact, the day that I first used it, my ears were at their worst . . . very scaley and sore from me picking at them. I applied this ointment 2 nights in a row and have not had any scaling since! Should the flaking come back, I'll put some on a q-tip and apply. And the best is that it's non-steroid.
Good Luck!

Celly

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

I did a search for LaKarna Lotion ....nothing ...could it be Sarna lotion?

** Originally posted by ron5937 **

I too have this problem, but it's very responsive to mild steroids which I only have to use on occasion and I flush my ears with warm water every time I take a bath (which I do specifically because of this problem).

Rather than poking paper clips (gawd, don't do that anymore!) or some other foreign object, you can clean your ears thoroghly with one of those little rubber ear irrigators. They're effective for removing anything not attached. (note that there are expensive electric ones but they work no better than the rubber ball type that costs a couple dollars).

Also, the reason that docs, and the package, tell you not to insert a Q-Tip into your ear canal is that it effectly packs the material against your eardrum. If your ear is clear of wax and scales, as it may well be if you irrigate regularly, than a liquid will flow in easily into the ear canal.

Sheesh! Paper clips! A very bad idea.

** Originally posted by OsiK **

I used to be a Q-Tip Addict. i never left the house without them and snuk away often to the restroom at work to attend to the unbearable itch. I almost ended up in the hospital with a massive ear infection, i was lucky my husband was quick enough to get me in a freezing cold shower to lower my temprature from 105 degrees. It took my over 2 months to get back on my feet.

I am a newly diagnosed P victim. It took a long time for me to find a doctor that would give me a straight diagnosis. I was shocked to find out it gets into the ear canal. but i found out the hard way. and a lesson not lost on this chick!

Q-TIPs DO NOT go in near the Ear.

Once i stopped messing with it - the itching subsided to a mostly tollerable irritation that i can poke at every now and then. but when its really bad i flush my ear canal out with a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of viniger and peroxide - as recommended by the walk in clinic doctor. seems to work - i also use it after swimming in the pool - It wards off infections! all for being infectionless.

But good G-D - Paperclips!!!! you'll poke your eardrum out.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi osik,
sorry i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you have met some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good day all

richard

** Originally posted by OsiK **

Thanks Richard,

I came looking for information - and i found much more than i ever thought i would. too bad there is no quick fix - but there's always hope!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders