Psoriasis in and around my ears?!! Help!

** Originally posted by twgq730 **

My psoriasis started in my scalp and has spread to behind my ears in now IN my ear canals! My scalp is under control now but the medicine for the scalp it too harsh on the tissue of my ears. Anything anyone might offer as to a treatment of this would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!!!

20 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by DottieD **

Hi twgq and welcome!

I hope I'm not giving you bad advice, but I have clobetasol (a steroid ointment) and use it now and then on my skin. A couple of times when I noticed p in my ears I mixed some clobetasol in vaseline, put a little on a q-tip, then rubbed the q-tip around in my ear canal - not deep, just around in the first part. It worked for me. If you decide to try this, you might want to call your dr first to see if it's okay to do.

Hydrocortisone cream or ointment might also work and it's milder.

DottieD

** Originally posted by mh1000 **

i used hydrocortisone before, worked for me!

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Hi twgq730,

Welcome to the Board! :cool: Nice to meet you.

I also have psoriasis in my ear canals, so I know exactly what you're going through. :( (Sigh)

Everyone and their psoriasis is different and what works for one person may or may not work for another. I've tried over the counter hydrocortisone creams (especially when I didn't realize that my psoriasis had spread to my ears) with little or no relief. (The itch can be brutal; so much so that it all too often keeps me awake at night.) There are two prescription medications -- Protopic and Elidel -- that are approved for eczema, but are often prescribed for psoriasis that you can try. Protopic (http://www.protopic.com or http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/tacrolimus.htm) is an ointment and Elidel (http://www.elidel.com or http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/eli1609.shtml) is a cream.

The good news is that both Protopic and Elidel are safe enough to use in places like the ear. Even better, Protopic is the only medication that keeps the psoriasis in my ears somewhat under control. (I say "somewhat under control" because the psoriasis comes back with a vengeance if I skip more then a few treatments.) The bad news is that both medications have been given "black box" warnings by the FDA because of concerns about cancer. Since Protopic and Elidel are both approved for eczema, so here's link to (US) National Eczema Foundation's statement concerning the use of Protopic and Elidel: http://www.nationaleczema.org/research/ProtopicAndElidelStatement.html. (You have to scroll down the page to find their statement.) Sadly, Sal (sdanna) developed kidney cancer. :( He suspects that it was caused by Elidel, but there's really no way to know for sure. We haven't heard from him for a while, so I hope and pray that he's o.k. Here's a link to the thread where he discusses his diagnosis: http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20144.

I continue to use both medications. As I mentioned, Protopic is one of the few meds that keeps the psoriasis in my ears somewhat under control.

I hope this helps.

Mike

** Originally posted by DDNorth **

Have you tried vasolene? I have had this stuff all over lately, and found my lubing the hearing aids with vasolene has helped- I beleive. Seems like a safer alternative than meds.

** Originally posted by KKMarie **

I have p in my ears too and I always use A&D ointment. It works well for me. I usually use a little every night before bed. I also use it in the area behind my ears.

KK

** Originally posted by TJM718 **

I have P in my ears. I don't know the name of it but I have a very mild steroid cream for my face which works well on the ears.

I find that my ears and face are the only areas of my body where the P seems to respond well to moisturizure.

I use creamy vaseline which is hard to find but carried in many drug stores (that sounds like a contradiction, I know).

** Originally posted by CaseyC **

Hi, I'm sorry you have it there. =((

I been using Desowen/Desonide or Fluticasone Propionate ointment for ear P. It's one of the worst places to have p. I hate it. I've had it for a few years now, and I'm hoping Enbrel will get rid of it.

** Originally posted by DottieD **

Creamy vaseline is also carried by Wal-Mart. They have the Vaseline Intensive Care brand and their own generic in white and blue tubes.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi kkmarie and twgq730,
welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good day all

richard

** Originally posted by michelle1974 **

my mother swears by creamy vaseline. I'm in canada but it comes in a small round tub and states "Problem Skin Therapy". My grandmother's skin was insanely mad. One doc said it was winter thing and another said it was psoriasis. hmmm? at the end of it, she was covered in it, with dark blood blisters. I've never seen psoriasis do that? Anyway, my mother covered her in this creamy vaseline and gave her one allergy tab with loratadine and her skin is a bare as a babys bottom now. It's not cheap, the vaseline, for a small tub which would only last me a week...about $5.

** Originally posted by CaseyC **

I don't know if anyone else does this, but when mine gets really itchy, I put a few drops of Humco Sweet Oil (olive oil) in the canal. Let it soak a few minutes. Then flush it out with warm water and a bulb syringe. It really relieves the itch for me, and it removes some of the flakes temporarily.

** Originally posted by KKMarie **

Hi Casey,

I have used sweet oil too when the itching makes me crazy. It really helps too.

KK

** Originally posted by JustDucky **

I get it in the ear, too. I use the westcort, but once it isnt dry, I use this cream or that...just to keep it moist. That seems to work out ok as long as I remember to do it..lol

** Originally posted by helofixer **

I too have the constant flaking in my ear canals. Ive been on Enbrel now for 4 months and it may have knocked it down a bit, but I still get the flaking inside my ear canal. I don't think it has affected my hearing and the itching isn't that bad, but it seems whenever i scratch inside my ears, I get tons of nasty flakes, and when that happens I tend to I keep digging and eventually my fingertip will come out a little wet with some clear-ish fluid on it, and then my ear canal will hurt a bit for a day. I have tried using Taclonex on a q-tip to swab the very shallow part, but that doesn't seem to work. Some days are better, some are worse. I hate just walking around and I feel this chunk of skin fall out of my ear. When my outbreaks are bad, I will submerge my ears in some warm water in the tub and that seems to flush out the worst of it and treat with some lotion and a qtip.

** Originally posted by northerngal **

I've had this exact thing too. You're not alone.

What I found of interest is that any medications I was using on my scalp seemed to treat P spots around my ears. I always wrap my head in cling film before going to bed and it seems to keep the heat in and get to my ear places. (wrap the cling film over your ears).

For the ear canal, I've found that the Donovex and Dovobet cream, applied with a cotton swab in to the ear canal have really worked. This is the only area that seems to respond well to those 2 medications. I do that about 2 x per week.

Hang in there! Be well.

** Originally posted by abqgirl **

I've had this as long as I've had scalp p. I get it in my ears and outside my ears. I always thought it was dirt! What I use is a hydrocortisone cream my dermatologist gave me and I alternative with a vitamin D oil. it seems to help. good luck and know you are not alone.

** Originally posted by nbaxter01 **

i used hydrocortisone before, worked for me!

yip it works, there all different strengths. i was prescribed Trimovate cream years ago and it worked. Also derma recommended daktacort (1% hydrocortisone) saying that there is little chance of a rebound occuring when using it just on your ears. You can get a cream called hydrocortisone (0.5%) in the UK which would work. i find just using moisturiser morning and night works better than anything

sometimes i use the dovonex cream . . . . . it works very well :)

mine has only ever been on the front of the ear, never near the actual canal or on the back

** Originally posted by Mikel **

I use Efaderm cream by Galderma or Oilatum cream/lotion/Gel.
Cetaphil cream does not seem to do the job & Aquaphor seems to work but I have a tough time washing it off in the morning.
They have a new products called Mimyx (not sure about spelling) that seems to be equally effective as protopic & elidel; but without the black box.

** Originally posted by peachbklyn **

I have been putting on the shampoo I use now, MG 217 and leaving it on a few mins. b4 showering- it has helped- also Dermarest, amazingly both these products are over the counter all the Rx meds never helped b4.

** Originally posted by theskinyouarein **

The ears can be one of the worst places, from my son's expereince, I think it was. When the itching got unbearable, his derm gave him some type of medicated oil drops (sorry we don't have the bottle anymore to give you the name). That seemed to help while we were waiting for the Enbrel to be approved. Now, things are better & thankfully we haven't had to deal with that *itch* since. Good luck!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders