Psoriasis for 26 yrs

** Originally posted by dl73ny **

I am a 34 Yr old woman who has had to live with this for the last 26 yrs. I had it all over my head back and stomach when I was a teen one summer I went to the beach almost everyday and one of the best and cheap ways to limit it is to go in the salt water and lay in the sun. A couple yrs later I had my son and I was put on the depo provera shot (birth control) the drs never infrmed me that it would irritate the psorisis and it came back 10 times worse. that was 13 yrs ago and i'm not a kid so going to the bch everyday is impossible and of course i cant affo0rd a doctor. Does anyone else have any othe ideas of home treatments? In the process of using baby oil right now.

5 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi dl73ny,
sorry i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you will met some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you. maybe some one will come through and help with your ?

try and have a good day all

richard

** Originally posted by Torvaldr **

Try bathing in a warm, not hot, bath with Dead Sea Salts. It has really helped me a lot. It will not substitute for sun light, but it does help the itching and flaking. the best place to get it I have found is

http://www.sfbsc.com/bulk_dead_sea_salt/?xtr=deadseasaltsgoogle&gclid=CM2ok pfzqI4CFREDWAodAU58ZQ

They do not process out all the good minerals. It is 100% Raw Dead Sea salt from Israel. They also are very reasonable on price and shipping. Up to 10 pound bags are only $6.96 for shipping. You need to use 2 pounds per bath. I use it about every other day to every 3 days.

** Originally posted by easydoesit **

I am a 34 Yr old woman who has had to live with this for the last 26 yrs. I had it all over my head back and stomach when I was a teen one summer I went to the beach almost everyday and one of the best and cheap ways to limit it is to go in the salt water and lay in the sun. A couple yrs later I had my son and I was put on the depo provera shot (birth control) the drs never infrmed me that it would irritate the psorisis and it came back 10 times worse. that was 13 yrs ago and i'm not a kid so going to the bch everyday is impossible and of course i cant affo0rd a doctor. Does anyone else have any othe ideas of home treatments? In the process of using baby oil right now.

I know some people have had success visiting regular tanning salons when they can't get out in the sun, but since you're not under a doctors care there you need to be very careful to make sure you don't get any kind of burn as that can make the P worse.

You also might take a look at the Barney's Formula thread in the complementary/alternative forum. Seems to be helping some people and doesn't involve anything particularly questionable so it's worth a shot.

Here's the thread: http://psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22725

As for general moisturizing my substance of choice is Aquaphor ointment which is over the counter. The only problem is it can be kind of messy and get on your clothes.

Hopefully some other people can provide suggestions. Hope you find something that helps.

** Originally posted by DottieD **

Hi dl -
I hope some of these suggestions will help you if you are looking for "home" help.

I have had p since I was 10 (over 30 years) and have tried many times to eliminate various foods from my diet in the hopes of finding a natural way to have clearer skin. Didn't come up with anything of significance. Then I read a book called Win the War Within by Dr. Floyd Chilton, a professor at Wake Forest. You many be aware that psoriasis is an inflammatory disease. It is thought to be caused by a defect in some of our white cells (some of the T-ymphocytes) that, when they get in the skin, produce molecules known as cytokines. These bad cytokines cause our skin cells to multiply too fast and mature too fast. Most of the treatments (topicals as well as biologicals) are aimed at these cytokines.

Dr. Chilton said that our bodies mainly use a material called arachidonic acid to produce the bad cytokines. So another approach to reducing inflammation would be to cut down on foods that contain a lot of arachidonic acid. Then your body won't have the raw material it needs to produce the inflammatory molecules.

Foods that contain a lot of arachidonic acid are:
liver, eggs, farm-raised salmon (not the wild types), fatty pork
(like sausage, ribs, hot dogs), and dark meat of poultry

Foods that contain a moderate amount are:
beef, lean pork, white meat of chicken or turkey, catfish

Foods that contain just a little are:
other fish, any kind of shellfish, milk and milk products

Foods that contain NO arachidonic acid are:
anything that comes from a plant (veggies, fruit, nuts, grains)

He suggested cutting out the foods in the high category, and limiting your meat intake to a maximum of one medium seving a day. (He also suggested taking a fish oil and borage oil capsule if you don't eat a lot of fish.)

I tried this change in eating and saw a significant improvement in my skin in about two weeks. It continued to stay fairly clear for about 6 months (until I had to take chemo for breast cancer, which caused a major flare-up in my skin that I am still getting over). This is not a cure - my skin never cleared up completely, but it did get a LOT better, and the change in eating is very easy to do.

Next suggestion: If you don't have health insurance, you might call a dermatologist, tell them you don't have insurance, and see if they will see you for the Medicare rate, which is about 1/3- 1/2 of the normal rate. Many will do that. The derm could prescribe a topical for you (such as Clobetasol) that might be something you could afford.

Next: Find a way to keep harsh soaps off your skin as much as possible, particularly dishwashing soaps. (The better they cut grease, the more they dry out your skin.) Using kitchen rubber gloves would help. Dove is a very mild soap for washing up, and several people on this Board have sung the praises of glycerin soap for bathing or showering.

Next: upper respiratory infections (like colds and the flu) often cause a p flare-up. So do what you can to keep from getting a respiratory infection. Not that that's always possible!!

Best of luck to you. DottieD

** Originally posted by MARIE5 **

AM 28 AND I HAD P SINCE I WAS 5.I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING THERE IS TO TRY.BUT TO ME SHEA BUTTER PRODUCTS LIKE BATH WASH AND LOTION REALLY HELPED ALOT.I HAD IT FROM THE TOP OF MY HEAD TO THE TOP OF MY FEET.YES I LEARNED THAT SOME MED.DO FARE YOU UP BUT WHEN I HAD MY KIDS FOR SOME REASON I CLEARED COMPLETELY UP THEN A MOUTH AFTER I WOULD BREAK OUT AGAIN.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders