psoriasis - bottom of the foot

** Originally posted by Joann71 **

Hi -
I have had a recurrent problem with deep calluses on the bottom of my foot. At first I thought they were plantar warts but I went to a podiatrist and he said they were deep calluses caused by pressure on that spot of my foot and that I would most likely need surgery to keep them from coming back. He did remove them in his office and said they would probably come back. I was just wondering what psoriasis looks like on the bottom of the foot and if he could have possibly misdiagnosed this.

8 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by mardar **

I'm sorry you're experiencing this pain. Any kind of foot pain is miserable! I can't help with the appearance of P on the feet, just wanted to say hi and that I hope you find some relief for this issue.

Marcie

** Originally posted by BrianH **

Hi -
I have had a recurrent problem with deep calluses on the bottom of my foot. At first I thought they were plantar warts but I went to a podiatrist and he said they were deep calluses caused by pressure on that spot of my foot and that I would most likely need surgery to keep them from coming back. He did remove them in his office and said they would probably come back. I was just wondering what psoriasis looks like on the bottom of the foot and if he could have possibly misdiagnosed this.

I got psoriasis "bumps" on my soles last year for a while and was quite puzzled. They looked for all the world like circular calluses, but were in odd places, where there was no wear or pressure. They were scattered about the sole at random, in other words. I soaked them for a few days with glycerin, and they went away quite docilely (is that a word?). ;) But they were very uncomfortable while they lasted. I now check the bottoms of my feet and between toes much more carefully than before.

I'd had a substantial outbreak on the tops of my feet and ankles and shins a few years ago, but had handled them with the glycerin long since, so I was caught by surprise by these heavy sole lumps. Sole skin is quite different!

** Originally posted by Mourningdove **

This is palmo-plantar. My foot in 2005.

http://www.junipersky.com/foot-1.JPG

** Originally posted by twinieten **

Oh, Morningdove... ouch! :eek: My son has palmar-plantar as well. It cracked and peeled and looks similar to Morningdove's, but not as bad. I never saw anything callous-like on him. His skin would feel rough, tough, and would peel and crack, but it didn't look anything like a callus.

** Originally posted by Mourningdove **

This is the same foot after 8 months of Soriatane:

http://www.junipersky.com/foot2.JPG

** Originally posted by ktdogs6 **

this may or may not help.....I have palmar P and foot P, on one foot only. The palmar P is much different than the foot P. I have plaque P on the bottom of my right foot. The thickening of the skin is amazing to me, but no cracks so far, so I'm able to ambulate without pain. I feel as if I have alligator skin on the bottom of this one foot. I'm on a biologic now and using a steroid cream.

I'm just thankful I don't have the problems others have with this.

** Originally posted by helofixer **

Over the years I have had various flares of what i self diagnosed as pustular P on my feet to go with the standard pitted, thick, discolored and misshapen toenails. Around December of last year I noticed an increase in new areas of the ant bite looking indicators and reddish areas of pustular p on the inside arches, bottoms, and heels of both feet. Topical psoriasis creams and ointments over the years never helped, and I even tried ointments and powders for athletes foot thinking maybe thats what I had and didn't get any results.
It was a combo of the worsening condition of my feet and the spread of plaques on other parts of my body that finally drove me to trying a biologic. I have been on Enbrel since December of 2007 and while it never fixed the toenail problem, it sure knocked out the pustular P breakouts on my feet and hands and has made my elbow and knee plaques look better than ever.

** Originally posted by partial **

My first "real" psoriasis experience happened almost two years ago and started with my feet.

I had insane itching on the soles of my feet, like the place that wanted to be scratched was 1/2 inch deep into the tissue, thick calluses, and lots of cracking.

The other body psoriasis followed.

That said...I have always have pretty callused feet because I wore different boots and shoes throughout my career and the constant switching seemed to make my feet more callused than normal.

I ended up using liberal ammounts of Aquaphor on my feet, with socks over them at night (drove me nuts for a while because I have never before worn socks to bed). It took a couple of months to really kick in and soften the skin, but now I use nothing on my feet at night and am able to sleep without socks and deal with nothing more than a little dryness (no thick calluses/cracking).

The petrol based moisturizers seemed to soften up the calluses well.

P or no p, grease the feet up with something thick at night and it might help.

Good luck.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders