psoriasis/anxiety

hello dear people i hope those of you that are dealing with any sort of ichy psoriasis or pain i pray that you will have a free day of what ever you are dealing with.

i got psoriais about 3 yrs ago when my father past away i do believe it was truma for me and right after that it started on the back of my leg a lil sore that became BIG and then in a matter of one year the whole back of my leg was covered, before the psoriasis i didnt even have one scare m skin was darn near perfect "not any more" of course it went from my legs to my arms to my back there and there and some times it got out of control today i have to say i have it more under control "thank you jesus"
BUT in the last year i have been dealing with anxiety just wondering if any or my Psoriansis buddys are dealing with it as well and if so what do you do when you feel dizzy/light headed and scared to death you will pass out in public...i do not want to take meds for this cus i read up on them and omg there are so many reactions that im scared and do not need any more medical troubles. if you have anything to share with me please do.
i pray that you will all have a blessed day x0x0x0

24 replies. Join the discussion

yes I have been told that this can make psoriasis worse

Wouldn't it be great if all we had to do to stop psoriasisis wa take something for the anxiety?!!

Mely1129, I have had psorasis since 1987 and I have had it over about 95% of my body. I understand that you are scared to take medicines but, you should try to talk with your Dermatologist. He/she is best able to help you decide what you should take. Since March, 2012 I have been on Enbrel and I cannot tell you how much better I feel and how much better my skin is. You can read about the side effects of medicine and not take them. Or you can try some of the medicines and see what happens. Your doctor is the best person to judge what is best for you. I am very happy that Enbrel works for me and I have no side effects. Go luck! You won't know what works if you don't try medicines.

Yes I can relate to your anxiety as I get that too. Kind of a senses overload making me feel panicky and as though I am unreal and my surroundings are unreal, it comes at times of acute stress (physical and emotional).

I think it is worth researching the nervous system for the sympathetic and para sympathetic systems and trying to strengthen the para sympathetic to bring greater calmness. Deep breathing every day helps, and regular yoga sessions amongst other things. Just part of the great picture of imbalances that contribute to auto immune disorder which lies behind psoriasis and related conditions! Good luck and best wishes

I have the same problems with anxiety, get help... Anxiety can cause a very mean psoriasis circle, your P gets worse and so does your anxiety and your P gets even worse and the its the anxiety again.... See what I mean. I know that all the warning labels on medications can be worrisome but.... Not taking them isnt helping you get any better either if anything its making you get worse. There are also some good alternatives to look into, I have read great things about changing diet and using Dead Sea product (I cant tell you about these first hand cause I just learned about them myself and I am in the process of starting it) BUT HEY CANT HURT RIGHT!!

Your not alone, we are here for you! You can learn so much just by reading the posts on this page can help soooo much.

I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for responding to my problem and right now my P is not out of control its there but what i have right now i can live with i can sleep at night i have some ichy attacts before i got to sleep but NOTHING like in the past year so right now my P is not at an extrem brake out. but my anxiety is something i have been trying to deal with for months now just the feeling that anxiety gives is unbearible i feel like im gonna die at times all though i stop breath and pray and as soon as i get home "my safe place" i feel a better. isnt that horrible and i hate it because i'v always been a person to get up and go and do lots of things through out my day, not to mention that my family relies on me 150% i take care of my 85 yr old mom a husband and a 15 yrs old son and i always a list of things to do for the day and week its always been my nature to be the cargiver and to hold up the household BUT with my anxiety all things things came to a limit and i HATE it so i will talk to my dorctor and see if there is something with small mg to help me control the anxiety. thank you again for responding and i will add all of you to my prayer list
i know GOD loves me and he loves you and he will never leave us nor forsake us no matter what! big HUGS to all of you

sincerely
melody

i think that i'm too evil to be anxious, about my psoriasis anyway. the only experience that came close was in the early days when the itching was so bad i thought that i was losing my mind. i actually did go to the emergency room for relief, around 2-3 o'clock in the morning, i think. i was given some xanax. it worked like a charm, but it made me feel as if there was something else going on, and it was. i was beginning menopause. it made everything worse. i truly did not want to do hormone replacement. my mother didn't, so i wasn't going to do it either. went to the doctor and got checked out and sure enough my hormone levels were declining. my doc wrote of hormones, i got the prescription filled amd never took it. so far so good.

hello michelle

you know i should have my hormones checked i just turned 54 and due to what im going thru that might have something to do with my anxiety whos to say right!? my mom never took anything either so just maybe i should wing out my menopause too but i think my anxiety comes from being the back bone of this family and out side my family mybe my mind is on over load lol

i always keep us Psoriansis family in prayer. P is no joke but i do say to my self it could worse and who needs worse

thank you again
big hugs to all

waht Meds do U NOT want to take?

hello juliainfla

well two weeks ago i was really having lots of anxiety and sugar count keep reading low like 40 and 50 but im not a dibectic iv been tested and they say it might be from anxiety so they gave me alprazolam 5 mg take one before bed time i have not yet taken one im scared i dont want to rely on pills and i read up on side effects OMG thats all i need is to add one more problme to my health

so i have been relaxing more and praying and someone told me that anxiety is something deep in your head that bugs you and that i need to figuer it out and let it go. thats funny and it would take me years to figuer out cus i have lots on my plate but have learned to not add to much to my plate these days, i was thinking maybe i should go see a councler so they can dig in my head and maybe things will come to surface and i can deal wiht it and get rid of it once and for all "if my friend is right" wont hurt to have someone to talk to since i am the one who usualy listens to everyone eles delemas but thats who i am i love helping and i love to be able to help people but its funny i cant help my self well my dear friend if you know anything about anxiety meds let me know :)

have a wonderful blessed day
hugs mely

so Mely
U R taking Xanax (thats the name we all know it by) an antianxiety drug...it works but don't take too often...addictive.
I have used it...it is a knock-out pill for me...right to sleep in 30 Min...great!
No big deal but it had a hangover effect for me (next day) so I use Ativan instead.

I take Ativan 1mg every bedtime for 20 years. It worked better in the begining so now I take it w/ a cup of Merlot
(anti-oxidants due to the grapes) but I hate the tASTE OF LIQUOR.
It works for me but I do ...........not recommend BOTH to anyone else.

I also take 20 mg Paxil 20mg 2X per day which is an antideptressant as well as anti-anxiety ............for 20 yrs...
w/out it I could not function ....BIOCHEMICAL DEPRESSION
Seeing a therapist is a good idea...nothing to lose if ur insurance pays for it

wow I did not realize that so many people also suffered with being anxious, which I have been told exercise can help in the same way as depression. however, I don't have the confidence to go and exercise.how does everyone else feel?

there is a term used sometimes, situational depression/anxiety with a lot of external triggers. if you don't have a strategy for coping when you are having stress in your life, this could happen. but if you are biochemical as julia stated you will need lifetime management. i have what i call 24 hour depression then it's off to the next thing because i'm a plan b kinda girl.

Dizziness can be caused by a number of petty medical problems, but be severe in effect, like driving down the interstate in rush hour. It seems like it would be worth following up and being sure exactly what's happening. I had problems with dizziness and it turned out to be Meniere's disease. The solution was drink lemon juice. Pretty trivial medically, but it pretty easy to picture a serious accident due to one of the spells. Heck, I fell out of chair. It was easy picture what might have happened on a flight of stairs.

I'm at the dermatologist today so will mention the feelings, also to have an allergy test and a deficiency test too as . I'm feeling very tired all the time too.xxx hope things work out for you x

believe it or not proper diet /nutrition has a great effect on the mind. Please look into the Dr. Pagano's Healing Psoriasis book. As for exercise try just walking ,being in the fresh air does amazing things for the mental health.

thank you everyone for responding i love you all and praying that one day they will find us a once and for all cure

big hugs
mely

I'm not a hundred percent sure that its my stress, but until I was around 45 I never had P ever and for the most art had incredible skin,then I became inujured and it eventually forced me to no longer work ,at a job I had been at for several years and I made a pretty good living with all the perks of the white collar employment even though I was really. A blue collar worker,this need up putting me into short disbality,that left to long term, that need up getting me fired ,but just because I was doing blue collar work they over looked I had a great education and was there becuase it was simple , I went to work they paid me and I had no one else to be responsiblibe for and I forced them to give me my job ,back and that meant pay me my long term disability and alll the back pay they owed me and much much more,but the fact is I was stiil disabled ,the company. I worked for had thier attorneys get me social security didablliy, it was cheap for them ,and they still had to pay me a chunk of money per month and keep me and my wife insured tough I was showing up to work everyday,the only thing is when your a little guy and they are a major corporation the game plan is ,to somehow trick me to not follow the rules of compliance and save themself a half a milion dollars over the 20 years ,even though I am technically retired I'm still disabled and am on the strongest pain med there is and go tothe doctors each month and the stress is. Overwhelming , I am so nervous and over act to every simple situation that comes along ,i can't do the wonderful things I use to do and ,I did plenty before, shoot I'was in he Marines for a lenghty time and I knew no fear and ,tried it all,but I Psoon dpfound myself with panic attacks ,several a day ,hospital ER runs that were ov. 50 times in one summers and ,with all he neur damage I have ,there is no. Fixing me, and of course I tried ,Paxil,Zoloft ,and all those other wonder drugs that oly made me worse, REALLY ,they made it worse ,and when your wearing a fentanyl patch yiu might as well be radioactive,because a doctor that prescribes Xanax or Valium,is a joke, my neuro doc gets me a whopping 1 mg a day, and the all the others I try to see and get help won't do that, so now that I have rambled and ranted ,I starred like youself,some on my face ,,,then my ears ,and then some on my ankles and then my arms and then my calves ,and then holy crap my back,I have tried everything under the stars except a DERM doctor ad I don't go YET becasue they want ot push. Drugs that aren't really proven to be effective without making me more defective and in between that the pain doctor I see finally figured. Out that I'm begginning to look like a poster child for P,and said. You need to see a DERM doctor or ,more or less we may stop treating you,so for the last ten yers I have been nothing less tha a short walk form a nervous. Breakdown and I assure it ,that other than one medication I'm taking nothing else has changed in my life, at least chemically wise,and I assure your concern that stress can cause it or make it worse is. Not your imagination ,it's for real and ,I have Ben advised To see a shrink, of course once you see a shrink its out there for all the world to know,broken down olld Marine sees shrink ,many times they ask me are you dangerous ,do you mix ll with others, I m thinkin com on people I don't even do well at home 24x7 what harm can I bring anyone else,I loved life and everything in it before I became I'll and even with the serious disability s I have ,honestly the Psoorias is my worst enemy , I can't figure out how to make it any better ,some idiot doctor I had so ohhh it's a fungus gets some anipti fungal cream,,,mmm yep sure doctor,now here's the he this I will say that has finally given me some hope , I tried tanning beds and they do help ,but I do no want to end up looking like someone's boots and with sun cancer,so I ran across someone on this site or another who had mentioned they were using a UVB body light at home and in short it retards the P and its one safely and in the orivacy if your own home and ,the company I found who sells these devices also helps in the process of Gettting your doctor or your DERM doctor in gettin the insurance to get me my own UVB light system at home ,and they sent me the email with what inf they need and a form for the doctor to fil out and etc and they will take it from there and aid me in getting me a light panel and hoepfully with no cost, it's cheaper to buy one of those than see me in a office very few eels or once a week etc,so if your interested in th email I git I can forward it to you, at this time I'm looking for a competent DERM doctir that won't turn this into a visit of alll all about them.So yes tres will sure do it ,I've never looked worse in my life and the wirse I look the more it's stresses me out , I just got somewhat convinced that I was never going to work again and this junk showed up.Do not let anyone convince you that your wrong,they haven't lived in your shoes so what would they know,and I assure you I have only skimmed the surface in regards to to what I have ebdured ,I hoep this helps an I truly hope you do get better and life gest the same the way,and on top of that maybe we can find some better ways to study this incurable mess, After all very plague we have had in history ,ended up having some for of successful treatment, if my spelling is off please excuse me, I use thi ipad as its easier but the crazy speed checker changes everything when I post and many time it appears I'm Illiterate .

you are the ideal person to give nutrition a chance. Please get the book "Healing Psoriasis" by Dr. Pagano
It will be the best thing you ever did for yourself. Your skin and mental state will all improve. No drugs just anti inflammatory foods. Between Dr. Pagano and Dr. Furhman's "Eat to Live" nutritional protocols I have healed my P ( over 50 yrs of dealing with it) over 90%) It's become a way of life for me, I will never go back to the typical North American diet.

I will definitely go and find that book and give it a try , truthfully I have tried a lot of self thought possibilities and it didn't help,I know there is a root cause for such a drastic change, its certainly not the first stretch in my life I've been stressed for extended periods, if its less expensive less evasive and makes me healthier in the process in more than one way I literally would try about anything .Thank you for reading my post and being able to possibly help me and ,if it works for me then maybe I can help someone else.
Thank you
Jim H.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders