Psoriasis and swollen lymph nodes...

** Originally posted by Jen1203 **

Please help me out before I go insane with worry. I have a pretty bad case of psoriasis on my scalp (as well as other areas)...went back to the doctor on Monday...got my prescription but had to mail them away according to the "new rules" associated with my plan.

Yesterday, I noticed bumps behind my ears...I went to the doctor who told me he thinks my lymph nodes are swollen due to the scalp infection (psoriasis).

I checked the internet and there are some things I've found that are linking the two.

However, I spoke to my dermatologists nurse, who told me just now that the doctor said my lymph nodes should NOT be affected by my psoriasis.

Does anyone know anything about this? Please help, I'm going crazy now thinking I must have cancer.

Jen

6 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by kbradley **

Hi Jen,

I think I've been experiencing the same thing but I feel it kind of close to the armpit and last week in the groin area. That one went away. Anyway, I looked up lymphoma to see what the symptoms are and feel fairly confident I don't have cancer. Hope others have some experience with this that they can share. -kiki

Hi Kiki,

I feel fairly confident that I don't have cancer either...but the dermatologist told me that it shouldn't have anything to do with one another. The internist I saw yesterday said that he feels strongly that the scalp infection is causing the lymph nodes to swell because it's trying to fight the infection.

The internist sounded more like he knew what he was talking about because he actually took the time to explain this to me. Whereas, the dermatologist didn't even bother to call me back, he had his nurse call me...and of course, she didn't know anything more about this other than what the doctor told her to tell me.

On this website, I even found a publication that specifically stated "If crusting of the scalp along with scaling occus and/or the lymph nodes in your neck are enlarged, your doctor may prescribe antimicrobial therapy".

I have now made another appt to see another dermatologist. I've seen posts stating that it is so hard to find a doctor who really really cares...I find the same to be true.

** Originally posted by kbradley **

These md's are really too much. I went to one (it took 6 wks to get an appt with one whose practice wasn't already closed to new patients) already aware of how impersonal it would be. He prescribed meds but only looked at one small portion of my back. There was much more to see! Sometimes I feel like we are in the dark ages with medicine. I hope you find a competent and caring practitioner.

It looks like you and I are the only ones with a lymph experience. I know I had swollen glands in the neck shortly before I broke out with guttate p a few months ago.

I was having pretty flaky scalp p and the derm gave me a prescription for Lidex in a liquid form. It comes in a bottle that only releases about a drop at a time. I use it only occasionally and sparingly but it's worked wonders. I had tried everything over over the counter but nothing was strong enough. Thought i'd share this with you in case you still need scalp help.

Take care. -kiki

I guess it is just me and you who are the only ones who has experienced this...but I did get a response from the National Psoriasis Foundation and they told me this...

"It is not uncommon for a person who is experiencing a flare-up of psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis to experience an elevated white blood cell count and/or swollen lymph nodes. This does not mean that there is an infection present, however, the immune system has been triggered just as if there were an infection present and is responding in the normal way. The elevation of white blood cells and swollen lymph glands will usually reside once the flare-up is under control".

Have a great weekend!!!

Jen

** Originally posted by Chikara **

Back when I was 12, there was one day in class when I noticed that I couldn't move my neck to the left very well and when I did move it, it would cause massive pain. I could move it to the right with little stiffness and less pain but it was a problem.

Back then my P was pretty bad. I had it everywhere and it was bad enough to the point where I was changing into my gym clothes in the bathroom stalls so no one could see it. Anyway, I mentioned this problem with my neck to my parents and they took me to see the doctor.

It turns out that I had lymphitis. The lymph nodes were pretty swollen. I was given an antibiotic and told to stay out of school for a week. But the medication helped and by the following week I was back in school.

I'm not sure if my psoriasis was related to contracting this condition but I thought I'd mention it to hopefully give some of you all some relief.

I'm sure that you don't have cancer...I really hope that you don't. But it's good that your concerned and I hope everything works out for you. :)

Often times swollen lymph nodes are a result of an infection. With Psoriasis, swollen nodes can be a process of the immune issues that are related to Psoriasis. When fatique is an issue then the immune system kind of kicks things up, and with you already having an immune issue, the glands can swell. I have Psoriadic arthritis, which is a result of Psoriasis. I take injections weekly, otherwise I would be unable to function from the pain associated to the arthritis.
I have recently experienced the swollen nodes in my neck asnd in my chest. I will need to be examined by my soon, to determine why my glands are swelling. I was told that infection, somewhere in my body is likely the culprit and not to worry about cancer. The risk of cancer while taking injections of Humera are increased. It is best to see your doctor.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders