Psoriasis and shingles?????

** Originally posted by cereal **

Need Information....I have psoriasis, I'm having a pretty bad flare up right now. My father was complaining of his hip hurting him last Thursday, Friday and over the weekend. He went to the doctor today and found out he has shingles. I was at his house Saturday night. Supposedly Dad started breaking out this morning after he got his shower before going to the doctor. The doctor told him they caught it in the very early stage.... All day today I have been in misery, the itching has been really bad, and the spots actually hurt. Can anyone enlighten me on the subject, like was he contagious Saturday? Could I have shingles along with the psoriasis, and if so how would I know? I'm so covered by the psoriasis it would be hard to tell if I have a rash.
Also I know this is way off the subject of psoriasis, but my daughter who is pregnant was with Dad Easter Sunday, I checked some other boards before I came here, she is due July 22nd. Does anyone know enough about shingles to tell me if there is any risk to the baby.Or point me to a site where I can find out about shingles and pregnancy. I did the search engines, couldn't find a direct answer. Thanks...please email me at merkinsmom@fuse.net everyone hang in there. God Bless.

5 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by cgauton **

Hi
Yes you can have shingles with PS.
I had an attack last year.
According to my Doctor if you have had Chicken Pox as a child the chances are at some stage you will get shingles. The virus apparently does not go away.
The good news is if that is the case the shingles are not (alledgely) contagious.
So your father must have had Chicken Pox at some time , probably as a child.
If you had Chicken Pox at some stage you will get shingles and although shingles are painfull mine cleared up in about a week after diagnosis.
By the way my doctor wasn't sure I had shingles due to the PS obscuring the spots

** Originally posted by eyzatia **

hi: As far as I know about shingles, it is defeciencies, in the B's and as far as I am aware, it is not contagious. It is also pretty painful from what I am told. I think it is something to do with nerves. As for your increased out-break: when I suffered from Pustular Psoriasis, I still have the disease, just my thoughts could affect a flare up. For instance anything important: a job interview.
In 98 I was diagnosed with Pustular Psoriasis. Light therapy, Ztar, antibiotic ointment for a bacterial infection were all prescribed. I declined and went on shark cartilage, It did wonders, however the inflammatory response, and some outbreaks still plagued me. Lost my hearing for 5 mos.
I did shark from 98, to the spring of 2001.
My daughter who is type 1 diabetic had incredible results from some amazing Nutritional Products. This was the spring of 2001. In the midst of an out-break that was triggered by fumigants in new clothes from my daughters shopping spree, I began using these Nut. Prods. and soon thereafter went off the shark. During the course of this past year, I have had 0 inflammatory and 0 out-breaks. I enjoy food, that I could not even look at before. I have amazing energy, and I LOVE MY LIFE. If you would like to contact me, do so,,,eyzatia@msn.com

** Originally posted by tennka01 **

I had chicken pox when i was 5 years old and I do not believe it to be contagious. I think that you get it from within your OWN body from the lingering chicken pox in your body. If you have had chicken pox you always have a chance to get it although mostly elderly people or those with low immune systems.

** Originally posted by luvwinnie **

If you had chickenpox in the past, you should be fine. My understanding is that someone who NEVER had chickenpox CAN develop them after being near someone with shingles...but you can't catch shingles. As for your daughter, she should call her OB just to be on the safe side.

** Originally posted by luvwinnie **

Link for you

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/womenshealth/207032.html

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders